staying at a hotel in Jersey night before cruise?

Mittens2012

My just recently married husband and I are leaving out of New Jersey Monday on the Explorer of the Seas and are planning on staying at a hotel the night before we leave and also the night we get back. A little late on planning this, but we had a wedding to throw so our time was consumed with that!

Does anyone have any recommendations for jersey city "park and cruise" options? Or does it make more sense parking at the pier vs parking at a hotel during the days we are gone? Never done this before where we don't have to fly somewhere first and wanted some opinions. Is there even reasonable transportation to the pier from the hotel and back, shuttle, taxi, ect?

Thanks!

My just recently married husband and I are leaving out of New Jersey Monday on the Explorer of the Seas and are planning on staying at a hotel the night before we leave and also the night we get back. A little late on planning this, but we had a wedding to throw so our time was consumed with that!

Does anyone have any recommendations for jersey city "park and cruise" options? Or does it make more sense parking at the pier vs parking at a hotel during the days we are gone? Never done this before where we don't have to fly somewhere first and wanted some opinions. Is there even reasonable transportation to the pier from the hotel and back, shuttle, taxi, ect?

Thanks!

I would go to the Port Board for East Coast Departures and there is a Jersey Port 411 thread with those questions answered: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1160277

Mike

Hi Mittens

Welcome! We will be on the cruise w/ you.Please go to the boards and hit on RC Meet & Mingle under Explorer on our departure day. You will find a thread and it discusses everything you want to know about hotels and parking.

The hotels which are close to the port are all at the airport. The airport is 15-20 min from port. In Seacaucus you have all the main hotels. Courtyard, Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place. These hotels are twenty min from port. You can contact the hotel and see if they off a package.

Look at trinityreservations.com. Fairfield Inn is $138 and the Ramada is $112 tax included. The web site has a phone number for Independent Driver which says $40 for up to 4 people 888-816-0873 ext 0. this is the best deal out there. I have stayed at both properties and either would be fine for one night, but the Fairfield is nicer. You MUST be selective where you leave your car in Newark.

Thanks we will definitely take a look into these! Our car we will use to drive up there isn't anything fancy, but still want to make sure it stays someplace it won't get bothered/doesn't eat away all our funds for the trip or future house remodeling money.

Mittens2012 ~

For what it's worth: If you are looking for a hotel that's more pleasant (in location, ambience, and amenities) than a standard EWK airport hotel, you might want to take a look at any of the following:

http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1785

http://www.sheratonlincolnharbor.com/

Their prices typically are rather higher than what you'd pay at an airport hotel, and (as far as I'm aware) none of them offer a park-and-cruise option. But they're all reasonably convenient for driving to Cape Liberty, Bayonne, and parking there. And you might be able to score a good deal via Hotwire or a similar hotel booking website.

(Though I just noticed that you said you're leaving on Monday. Do you mean this coming Monday, February 27?)

Thanks! and yes we are leaving this Monday 2/27. We did just book a hotel a few hours ago. We wanted initially to stay in Jersey City to have an easier time visiting friends in NYC before we leave, but the deals near the airport were much better. Thanks for the help though, now I can actually focus on packing!

I did a park/sleep at the Fairfield and was very happy with it. The only problem is that there is no restaurant - just breakfast. There is a restaurant next door at the Courtyard and Teddy's Pub at the Ramada is popular (nearby but confusing to get to - ask at the desk). Post back if you need other restaurant suggestions.

It is really important that you print out the directions to the Fairfield from their web site and follow them exactly. GPS may not be reliable in the area and if you miss the turn, you will be able to see the hotel, but not get to it. There is one entrance for the Courtyard, Fairfield, and Springhill Suites.

thanks! we will. We will probably be fine with food options as we have a lot of friends in NJ and NY. We actually don't use GPS and use most of our directions from maps; probably the only people our age who really prefer not to depend on a GPS to lead us places. I tried it out once and instead of taking me to our bed&breakfast in DE it took us to the ER. (maps were just recently updated on it too.)

Archived