Arrrrgh Seasoned cruisers please help

lovetovak

I am doing the legwork for a group of us. I am looking online and also have a couple of local TAs giving me quotes. Online (not the cruiseline website) shows a $50 OBC for each cabin. I have asked both local TAs if there is any OBC and one said "no only with a group" and the other said "not with group pricing". Who do I believe? I would prefer to work with a local TA only because I have never booked travel online.

The reality is that many of the larger online cruise agencies book more cruises in a single day then most local TAs do in a year. These agencies are very competitive and rely on high volume to generate profits. Because of this volume they have some leverage with the cruise lines and are also able to cut their commissions (by offering promotions such as OBCs). Bottom line is that if you want the best financial deal you need to shop around. If you prefer to deal locally you must take what you get.

Hank

I am doing the legwork for a group of us. I am looking online and also have a couple of local TAs giving me quotes. Online (not the cruiseline website) shows a $50 OBC for each cabin. I have asked both local TAs if there is any OBC and one said "no only with a group" and the other said "not with group pricing". Who do I believe? I would prefer to work with a local TA only because I have never booked travel online.

How large is your group?

Have you selected your ship and dates?

A GOOD TA is the way to go. Getting a $50 OBC could cost you thousands of dollars in aggravation if you get stuck with the legwork.

If everything goes perfectly, no one will care. When something gets screwed up, you will pay dearly.

I would use a local TA who can do all the work for you.

As the 'leader', you don't want it to be your problem to get everyone's final payment in on time, assure everyone's bookings are linked to each other for dining assignments, handle all the details and most of all have any of the planning that may not turn out perfectly BE YOUR FAULT. If you have a TA in the community, you have someone you can point to and send any disgrunted group members to speak with TA.

How big is this group?

Carnival and Royal Caribbean do not allow TAs to lower their price.Don't know what other lines do this. Have you tried calling the cruise line directly and asking their price and about group fares. If you're booking , 6 (or is it 5) months ahead Carnival will match any lower price. But you have to watch and tell them when the price goes down- they don't automatically drop the price unless you notify them of this. If its after the final payment date they give on board credit.They also give you 2 days after booking to find a lower price. And if you are booking a group (don't know how many cabins) you get your cabin for free!

I would use a local TA who can do all the work for you.

As the 'leader', you don't want it to be your problem to get everyone's final payment in on time, assure everyone's bookings are linked to each other for dining assignments, handle all the details and most of all have any of the planning that may not turn out perfectly BE YOUR FAULT. If you have a TA in the community, you have someone you can point to and send any disgrunted group members to speak with TA.

How big is this group?

I could not agree more. Find a good TA and direct everyone to him/her. :)

We have settled on Princess in April 2013. Group is 5 confirmed cabins and 5 possibles.

Info well taken...I don't want to be the one that takes all the heat. I will settle on a local TA and forward the information to the others in the group. Thank you all

Even though I'm a solo cruiser, if I have a problem between the time I make my deposit & the day I leave, I don't want the hassle & agravation. :eek: I simply call or e-mail my TA and essentially say, "sic em woman"!!!:D

Archived