Accident on Allure?

KieransMom

, they requested blood donars as they needed to do a blood transfursion.

I wasnt on the ship and I hope someone wasnt seriously hurt.

But I do know that when blood donors are requested, It does not necessarily mean someone had a blood transfusion. It is usually precautionary.

I was on the cruise and Ken the CD asked if their were any pax carry donor cards for A pos type blood during the street party/parade. Not sure what emergency was either and hoping it was not one of the divers from teh aqua theatre.

We were on the Allure cruise of the 12th. When we were leaving the ship on the 19th (we were among the last to leave, about 10:15) we saw a body being taken from the ship to a waiting hearse. We have no idea what it was all about and we were surprised there wasn't anything about it on this board.

What could have happened is the passenger you saw being taken away in a hearse had a medical condition which could have been under control when the person boarded the ship and then for some unknown reason it deteriorated.

When they ask for donors for a transfusion it sure sounds serious. We don't know if the person was on the verge of being septic or had a heart attack or cut themselves with a sharp object.

Its really hard for a cruiseline when someone dies in international waters as the investigation is long and strict.

I took Medical First Aid and we had a presenter who told us what happens when someone gets sick at sea and showed us a documentary of an emergency at sea. It was simulated with a Rescue 911 feel to it. What most cruisers don't realize is the operation room is for minor surgeries such as broken leg, sprained ankle basic stitches. They are prepared to stabilize the patient like a Walk In Clinic.

This is why they need to coordinate with the MeicVac and change the course of travel to meet up with the helicopter.

As part of the documentary it showed how they enter in the data to the Medical System, coordinate with the Insurance company and prepare for transport to a hospital.

We saw a few serious cases from a heart attack, to drowning in the pool to a drunk passenger. It really gave me a look into how the operation works.

We were told that its important to fill out the Health Form truthfully and to have proper medication such as EpiPens and you need to carry them in your carry-on bag. They told us that you need to have extra medication, your Primary Care Physician's contact info and letters about your serious condition.

Just imagine an allergic reaction at sea you could easily die if not given the proper care.

This shows what can happen onboard a ship. Its sad but true deaths happen on a cruise or up in the air.

I was on this cruise as well. The body taken off was a gentleman who passed away in his cabin on deck 11. The room was sealed and handled as a crime scene even though he died of natural causes. They were an older couple from Florida who were married 63 years. They were traveling in a large group.

I have no information about the blood transfusion.

Jerry

I was on this cruise as well. The body taken off was a gentleman who passed away in his cabin on deck 11. The room was sealed and handled as a crime scene even though he died of natural causes. They were an older couple from Florida who were married 63 years. They were traveling in a large group.

I have no information about the blood transfusion.

Jerry

Did this happen to be while in Cozumel? A 50 year old man from my hometown passed away suddenly while on an cruise with his wife....I believe he passed around the 15th, but I know no other details.

Hmmmmmmm....... A 50 year old guy married for 63 years....Hmmmmmmm.

We were on the Allure cruise of the 12th. When we were leaving the ship on the 19th (we were among the last to leave, about 10:15) we saw a body being taken from the ship to a waiting hearse. We have no idea what it was all about and we were surprised there wasn't anything about it on this board.

The body stayed on board from Day 2 to Day 7?

I'd think it would have been taken at first port and flown back to his hometown, with the family.

I had friends on a cruise recently that had a fellow passenger die from a heart attack...boat had to turn around to meet the coast guard chopper, but the gal didn't make it.sad! But I will be sure to carry my donar card next month just in case!

-longtime dreamer....first time cruiser!

So sad for any family that loses someone during what should be a happy time, my thoughts and prayers to the family.

In general (knowing nothing about this case) on a cruise of 6000 persons, there is a good chance statistically that someone will die or become gravely ill, unfortunately. This is even more likely when the age of cruisers skews so old on cruises, as well as being a vacation that appeals to people who have grave health conditions ( vs a vacation hiking in the Grand Canyon).

We had a family friend criuse who was in the end stages of cancer. He spent most of the cruise in the medical center and was removed via ambulance at the conclusion of the cruise to the hospital in FLL, where he passed a day later. It was his choice to spend his last days on the cruise, he was aware the time was close. It was very upsetting for the friends and family who cruised with him though.

One of the most common conditions that would require blood donors is an aneurysm.

As a registered nurse, I find this thread baffling. It seems unlikely to me that they could type/cross blood, then adequately screen it for blood borne diseases such as HIV, Hep B and others. I can't imagine a scenario where this could be done safely.

I realize they can handle many emergencies, but needing blood doesn't seem like one of them. My husband is an anesthesiologist, and transfused people with blood all the time, but that blood has been tested, and goes through many steps to ensure safety to patients.

I don't mean to contradict anyone. If they were actually calling for blood donors on board, they must have had a reason, but it itsn't exactly a MASH unit there on the ship.

As a registered nurse, I find this thread baffling. It seems unlikely to me that they could type/cross blood, then adequately screen it for blood borne diseases such as HIV, Hep B and others. I can't imagine a scenario where this could be done safely.

I realize they can handle many emergencies, but needing blood doesn't seem like one of them. My husband is an anesthesiologist, and transfused people with blood all the time, but that blood has been tested, and goes through many steps to ensure safety to patients.

I don't mean to contradict anyone. If they were actually calling for blood donors on board, they must have had a reason, but it itsn't exactly a MASH unit there on the ship.

Hi There,

I am an RN too, and totally agree with you to the strange request for blood transfusion, I seriously doubt if there have such capabilities on board a cruise ship to check the blood. Curious....

Hi There,

I am an RN too, and totally agree with you to the strange request for blood transfusion, I seriously doubt if there have such capabilities on board a cruise ship to check the blood. Curious....

I´ve visited the infirmary on a ships tour and the senior dr. did the explanations and the topic was raised there. He explained that yes indeed they do have the capabilities onboard to check blood.

He also explained that they will only do this as a very last resort, but they had to a few days later when the question for blood donors was broadcasted over the PA-System.

Hmmmmmmm....... A 50 year old guy married for 63 years....Hmmmmmmm.

:eek: I clearly was half asleep when I posted last night about the 50 year old man who passed....I completely missed the part where the passenger on the Allure was an older gentleman from FL. I guess Valentine's week was a sad one for more than one family...the man I spoke of was only 50 and from Alabama. Such a tragedy during what should be a wonderful, memorable trip.

Archived