Is 4 ships w/ 10,716 passengers a lot for Barcelona?

World Gallery

Tryng to consider everything in regards to how busy the airport will be on our disembarkation day in Barcelona June 15th. Also, how busy in general the area will be. I don't know the port of Barcelona and what is typical. Are 4 ships considered a busy day? I just added up the passenger total and it is 10,716 disembarking. The Breeze and MSC are big ships!

Over 100,000 passengers pass through Barca airport each day in summer, and there are two other nearby airports used by low-cost carriers.

So even if that day there were twice as many cruise passengers as usual it'd not make a huge difference at the airport.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php?title=File:Top_15_airports,_passengers_carried_(embarked_and_disembarked),_EU-27,_2010_(million_passengers).png&filetimestamp=20111117162346

JB :)

Over 100,000 passengers pass through Barca airport each day in summer, and there are two other nearby airports used by low-cost carriers.

So even if that day there were twice as many cruise passengers as usual it'd not make a huge difference at the airport.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php?title=File:Top_15_airports,_passengers_carried_(embarked_and_disembarked),_EU-27,_2010_(million_passengers).png&filetimestamp=20111117162346

And lots of people arrive and leave by train too....

10,000 people into a metropolitan population of 5,000,000 is 1/5th of 1%.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask about something you stated in your post, about the two nearby airports that low-cost carriers use. We are on a low-cost carrier, Norwegian Air (we are going non-stop to Copenhagen) and I went back and check my tickets and their website and it doesn't state the name of the airport, just states "Barcelona". I am now wondering which airport but can't seem to find this out. Does anyone know? Glad you brought this up. It would be a disaster if we went to the wrong airport.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask about something you stated in your post, about the two nearby airports that low-cost carriers use. We are on a low-cost carrier, Norwegian Air (we are going non-stop to Copenhagen) and I went back and check my tickets and their website and it doesn't state the name of the airport, just states "Barcelona". I am now wondering which airport but can't seem to find this out. Does anyone know? Glad you brought this up. It would be a disaster if we went to the wrong airport.

No worries, if your ticket says Barcelona, your airport is Barcelona. :)

The other two airports are Reus & Girona. Both are about an hour away,

Ryanair call them Barcelona Reus and Barcelona Girona :rolleyes:

The last time I went thru Barcelona it was a zoo. I flew out the day after our cruise and I arrived at the airport 2 hours before my flight. I waited close to 1 1/2 hours in line to check my bag. Once I got closer to the front I realized that a lot of people were arguing with the ticket agents because their bags were overweight and they were being charged. Once I checked my bag (it was just under the allowance), I cleared security, made one stop and boarded my plane. There was no waiting around.

Plan accordingly give a 3 hours for check-in etc... as for international and you should be good for airport.

Remember that the crowd at the airport will be driven by plane schedules and likely the flight schedule both international and local is the same but maybe just more full than usual.

As to port / taxi, I can see the need to give that some more time. A few years ago we were the only ship but even than as the last group we waited more than 30' for taxi, they kept coming and coming but the line meant they still loaded one at a time.

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I'm just curious.....We are staying several days post cruise in Barcelona and have a Sunday 6:50 AM flight to Paris, do we need to be at the airport 3 hours before flight? :eek: How much travel time should we allow in a taxi from La Ramblas to the airport?

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I'm just curious.....We are staying several days post cruise in Barcelona and have a Sunday 6:50 AM flight to Paris, do we need to be at the airport 3 hours before flight? :eek: How much travel time should we allow in a taxi from La Ramblas to the airport?

Three hours is commonly quoted as a recommendation for long-haul flights, but this is driven in part by an attempt to get people to allow for delays heading to the airport & in part by not wanting a flood of folk checking in just before check-in closes.

Your best bet is to go to your airline's website & find out when their check-in closes. For short-haul flight such as yours, you may find it as little as 40 minutes before flight time, even with luggage to check in.

And at that time of the morning you're very unlikely to have traffic problems or a long delay at security.

Not suggesting you should cut it that fine, but no, you'll not need to be at the airport anything like three hours ahead.

Archived