Passengers robbed in Puerto Vallarta?

FightOnRon

Yes, I read that Carnival has already suspended this tour. I really hope they don't take PV off the itinerary. Cruising for the first time this July on this same route. I already think there's a lot of "at sea" days. Where will they take us instead...Catalina? :mad:

Hi All :)

Reminds me of a little story from our Pride Cruise in 2008 to the Mwxican Riviera. We were in Mazatlan, DW, 2 DS's and myself. We took a Pulmonia from the ship downtown for shopping,etc. After some purchases at Diamonds Int. we caught another Pulmonia back to the ship. The driver was VERY friendly and all at once said "I think I"LL take a short cut" So he pulled off the main road, behind all the shops in an ally way!! Barbed wire on one side and Back doors on the other!. About half way up the HILL his Pulmonia DIED? He got out to check it. WE WERE ALL CONCERNED! Fortunately my 2 sons one 6ft5 240 lb and the other 6ft3 210 got out with him and stood watch over him, while I kept an eye on the back doors. He quickly got the Pulmonia running again, either out of fear of my 2 sons or by his mechanical genius? And we made it back to ship.

We will never allow anyone to leave the main road again!!!!

Later

BOB :eek:

ohhhh nooooo!! i leave for mexico next friday with pv being my one stop i actually purchased a ship excursion. i am supposed to be doing las caletas which is a boat ride to a secluded island. im nervous....if they even keep pv now,.

I doubt carnival will make any official announcement real quick, so my guess is your not really gonna know until you board the ship.

Every major (and smaller) city in the US and other countries have crimes (burglary, robbery, rapes, manslaughter, etc.) EVERY day! There are areas that I won't go to, in the large town near me. That being said, if this is a ship's sponsored tour, I can see it being a concern. I am glad everyone is ok, but people need to stop being afraid constantly - the media really hypes it up. If you go on a ship's excursion or a private excursion - use some common sense - don't flash expensive jewelry, and don't bring large amounts of cash with you.

We seem to be entering an age of fear and prejudice. Please use common sense, and don't let the fear-mongering get to you.

Every major (and smaller) city in the US and other countries have crimes (burglary, robbery, rapes, manslaughter, etc.) EVERY day! There are areas that I won't go to, in the large town near me. That being said, if this is a ship's sponsored tour, I can see it being a concern. I am glad everyone is ok, but people need to stop being afraid constantly - the media really hypes it up. If you go on a ship's excursion or a private excursion - use some common sense - don't flash expensive jewelry, and don't bring large amounts of cash with you.

We seem to be entering an age of fear and prejudice. Please use common sense, and don't let the fear-mongering get to you.

I totally agree with you on this. Leave your Rolex's and Benjamins in the safe, but I think what the problem is that since they were on a ship tour, the "use common sense " theory goes out the window. Your then pretty much at the mercy of the excursion guide/driver. It's an unfortunate situation and I'm really glad nobody was injured. I wonder how many robbers were there?

I totally agree with you on this. Leave your Rolex's and Benjamins in the safe, but I think what the problem is that since they were on a ship tour, the "use common sense " theory goes out the window. Your then pretty much at the mercy of the excursion guide/driver. It's an unfortunate situation and I'm really glad nobody was injured. I wonder how many robbers were there?

This is where Carnival, or whichever cruise line is in charge, needs to screen the tour operators, and also work with the local authorities. Most of the ports where the cruise ships stop, are very dependent on the tourist dollars. If the cruise ships stop coming, it will have a huge impact on those ports! I would imagine that the local and government authorities would have a huge interest in deterring these sorts of crimes.

We were on the Splendor in January and went to Nogalito to zipline. We booked outside the cruise ship. Although we had a wonderful experience, I could see how there potentially could be problems driving down the back dirtroads through some older areas that were clearly filled with poverty.

Very sad and scary for those passengers.

This is where Carnival, or whichever cruise line is in charge, needs to screen the tour operators, and also work with the local authorities. Most of the ports where the cruise ships stop, are very dependent on the tourist dollars. If the cruise ships stop coming, it will have a huge impact on those ports! I would imagine that the local and government authorities would have a huge interest in deterring these sorts of crimes.

You would think. Carnival doesn't screen the operators? I thought I remember the CD from the Splendor saying something to the effect that they research these companies/tours and hand pick the ones that are safe/reliable/best that the city has to offer.

We were on the Splendor in January and went to Nogalito to zipline. We booked outside the cruise ship. Although we had a wonderful experience, I could see how there potentially could be problems driving down the back dirtroads through some older areas that were clearly filled with poverty.

Very sad and scary for those passengers.

I guess I'm not going to be ziplining in PV on my next cruise. That's if they still go to PV.

You would think. Carnival doesn't screen the operators? I thought I remember the CD from the Splendor saying something to the effect that they research these companies/tours and hand pick the ones that are safe/reliable/best that the city has to offer.

They say that is why they have to charge so much more for their excursions!:rolleyes:

I got an email from the guys who run El Nogalito zip line. I know the owner and also the owner of the family restaurant in El Nogalito. They said that the robbery purposeful to divert business from El Nogalito to Eden, a nearby attraction.

Too bad, especially when the Tianguis is coming. If you are going to Vallarta, they are working night and day to beautify, plant and redo everything from Vallarta to LaCruz. Vallarta is a wonderful place. Enjoy the Malencon and all the City has to offer.

Don't be nervous to go to Las Caletas! It is a short boat ride and a beautiful beach. Vallarta is very safe. I live there five months out of the year and it is a wonderful place to visit. They are working to beautify the city for the Tianguis (travel convention) and it is safer than your own city!

ohhhh nooooo!! i leave for mexico next friday with pv being my one stop i actually purchased a ship excursion. i am supposed to be doing las caletas which is a boat ride to a secluded island. im nervous....if they even keep pv now,.

You will LOVE this excursion! We did it in November and had a blast.

Try to sit towards the front of the catamaran so you can see the show put on by the staff, very fun!

We leave on the Spirit in two weeks and are doing the Pirate ship this time.

Go and have a great time!:)

I got an email from the guys who run El Nogalito zip line. I know the owner and also the owner of the family restaurant in El Nogalito. They said that the robbery purposeful to divert business from El Nogalito to Eden, a nearby attraction.

Too bad, especially when the Tianguis is coming. If you are going to Vallarta, they are working night and day to beautify, plant and redo everything from Vallarta to LaCruz. Vallarta is a wonderful place. Enjoy the Malencon and all the City has to offer.

Glad this resurfaced. Next month I will be there and we have a zip line tour booked with El Nogalito, booked indepedently. I wanted to re-think this but my wife and friends said to heck with it,,we will still go here.

Honestly,,we will be okay,right?

Believe me, the owner of the zip line is an engineer and the zip line is high quality. My friend is an engineer from California and personally inspected the zip line and also took his daughter on it. I have been at the restaurant and even attended a funeral for a friend at the little church in town. It is a little Mexican town with a beautiful restaurant at the zip line.

If anyone has any questions, you can contact the zip line directly at nogalito_rest@yahoo.com. I have asked them to respond to all inquiries in English. After your zip line, stop in town and shop the Malencon. It is beautiful. If you want good food and $1 beers, go to Cheeky Monkey upstairs right on the Malencon. You will not be disappointed. If you have any other questions, please email me at poppy9422@gmail.com.

Glad this resurfaced. Next month I will be there and we have a zip line tour booked with El Nogalito, booked indepedently. I wanted to re-think this but my wife and friends said to heck with it,,we will still go here.

Honestly,,we will be okay,right?

We did the same excursion last April. There was never a time on that excursion that we did not feel safe. When you get off the ship you meet as a group on the pier in a designated area. They then walk you over to another area where you are put into groups. From there you walk a very short distance over to the boat that will take you to Los Caletas. We had a beautiful relaxing day when we were there and would love to go to Los Caletas for the Rhythms of the Night if we ever go back to PV.

You will LOVE this excursion! We did it in November and had a blast.

Try to sit towards the front of the catamaran so you can see the show put on by the staff, very fun!

We leave on the Spirit in two weeks and are doing the Pirate ship this time.

Go and have a great time!:)

I think this is the one we just did(I was on the cruise that had the problem)-called something like Whales, Dolphins, and Snorkeling-took 7 hours-best crew/team ever on the boat-great service, fun, saw and did everything promised and little island was pretty. I would go again in a second. We went from the dock by the ship and returned there.

From what I read above and from what I heard, the biggest threat comes as a result of the locals trying to get people to their places of business. On group(4 people) took a taxi to a restaurant(the cabbie knew the owner) and as they were getting close, a man who owned another nearby restaurant tried to get the cabbie to take the people to his restaurant, but he did not. The cabbie, after dropping off the 4 people, went back to the restaurant(just down the street) and told the other restaurant owner

not to talk like that in front of his customers, and...the restaurant owner

pulled out a knife and stabbed the cabbie in the stomach! True story, as I talked to one of the couples in the taxi. I think it is more internal probelms. I had a knife pulled on me in a nice area of LA and they attempted to kidnap me years ago. Did not happen and I testified and he went to jail, so it can happen anywhere. Just be careful, aware of your surroundings, and avoid any confrontations. Please, no Macho Men-we would rather have you alive and unhurt, then a hurt or dead hero. I say that because one of the men on our cruise said he wished he had been there, as he was trained as a police officer and knew that the banditito could not talk and shoot at the same time. Yuk-that, to me, was the scariest part, as I think then, people would have been physically hurt.

• 3 weeks later...

:)Carnival is continuing their commitment to Puerto Vallarta. This is a very safe place and it is a shame that ONE incident (read your local news at home) would be so widely considered. The police, government and cruise officials are meeting with local vendors to address security at all levels. Go to view the Puerto Vallarta Tribune newspaper on line to read more.:)

Scary for the passengers... A lot of cruise lines have already stopped Mexican Riviera cruises, will be interesting to see how Carnival reacts.

Archived