Disembarking before cruise ends

2reddy2cruise

Would Oceania allow passengers to book one of their transatlantic cruises and disembark at a port stop that is one or two stops before the end of the cruise? For example: the Lisbon to New York cruise stops in Bar Harbor, ME. We live very close to Bar Harbor and it would be great if we could just walk our own bags off - assuming they could contact Customs to meet us? Has anyone done this? If so, does it reduce the cruise fare you pay? Thanks for any info.

Would Oceania allow passengers to book one of their transatlantic cruises and disembark at a port stop that is one or two stops before the end of the cruise? For example: the Lisbon to New York cruise stops in Bar Harbor, ME. We live very close to Bar Harbor and it would be great if we could just walk our own bags off - assuming they could contact Customs to meet us? Has anyone done this? If so, does it reduce the cruise fare you pay? Thanks for any info.

You have to be very careful about doing that for a number of reasons, most of which involve customs and the fees that the ship pays to use a particular port.

To summarize, if the ship is passing through a port, as opposed to starting or ending a cruise there, they pay a lower port tax. If some passengers decide to disembark early and because of that, the port raises that tax, the passage contract states that those passengers are responsible to pay that difference.

So, before you make any plans about leaving the cruise early, be sure to get an OK in writing.

People and staff do it all the time BUT that said you must check with Oceania and get permission and there is a charge sometime depending on the port..

Jancruz1

Depending on what the additional cost might be, it could be well worth it for the OP as opposed to paying for transportation from NYC to Bar Harbor. That's a fair drive as I recall from our vacation last June! (It took us over a week but then we weren't trying to drive straight through.)

Mura

When the cat fast ferry was running from Bar Harbor to Canada they had Customs and Immigration on duty every day, but that service has ended so I guess the closest inspectors would be at the Bangor airport. Will be interesting to see what response you get.

Archived