IF Carnival stops PV, what other ports available?

cdamion

Wow that sucks and it looks like your right but they could do a 6day 8day rotation.

The Miracle is faster and better on fuel than the Splendor I think

That would give Socal still a decent cruise option

I have suggested this on John Heald's FB page and in a letter to Carnival. It's nice for the crew also to break up the monotony. The Spirit is currently doing anywhere from 5-9 days and sailing out of both San Diego and San Pedro. I like the various options this offers.

Maybe HAL and Carnival should build a HMC / Grand Turk type resort in Mexico.

This sounds like a great idea to me! It seems like this would solve a lot of the issues with what to do in Mexico. The cruise ships would still be going and Mexico would still get some money, but passengers would be safe.

My dh and I do the Mexico cruise at least once a year, but if we get off the ship we only do it in Cabo. We would get off at a stop such as HMC.

They may just limit ships tours to the city area of PV, and strongly advise everyone to limit private tours to the city as well.

I hope this is the extent of what they do. I would truly hate to see them stop calling on PV. That would virtually assure the death of MR cruises.

The Miracle is taking over the Splendor itinerary, 7 day Cabo, Whatever, Whatever. Schedules are already out for 2013.

I understand that, but there are no more cruises out of SD. I hope I'm wrong, or 3/16 will be my last from the west coast. Between the gas and the incidents, I've lost interest. In Boston, i can walk to the terminal.

I hope that port options are offered other than cabo, ensenada & catalina. I don't want 1 port day in Cabo, let alone 2. I'd love to see manzanillo or zihuatanejo.

If all that is going to be offered is Cabo & Ensenada I think I am done with MR.

I think you would LOVE Zihuatanejo....my favorite Mexican port. I too... am tired of Cabo!!

I think you would LOVE Zihuatanejo....my favorite Mexican port. I too... am tired of Cabo!!

Unfortunately it is listed in the state department warnings as an area to exercise caution in and to stay within the tourist areas.

I really love Zihuatanejo... and it's too bad that Carnival doesn't go there anymore.

My guess is that Carnival is thinking seriously about cancelling visits to Puerto Vallarta and substituting La Paz instead... based on the seriousness of the recent bus robbery.

I totally agree that Carnival should look in to developing a private cruise terminal in Mexico, along the lines of Grand Turk and Isla Roatan. This would be so great, if it had a pier and a private beach.

I really love Zihuatanejo... and it's too bad that Carnival doesn't go there anymore.

My guess is that Carnival is thinking seriously about cancelling visits to Puerto Vallarta and substituting La Paz instead... based on the seriousness of the recent bus robbery.

---

It is looking like the bus robbery wasn't as major of a deal. Initial reports from the cruise passengers say it was a single gunman that robbed them when they were on a trail, not a group that robbed a bus.

I would not want either to happen to me, but a single idiot can do that anywhere.

Wow that sucks and it looks like your right but they could do a 6day 8day rotation.

The Miracle is faster and better on fuel than the Splendor I think

That would give Socal still a decent cruise option

Your right they could and that would be a great idea. But with schedules for the Miracle out til April '14, doesn't look like there's much of a chance of this happening. I would love for Carnival to change the itinerary a bit and add in some cruises with La paz and Zihuatanejo.

My in-laws best friends live in an "exclusive" and gated community in Zihuat and she & some friends were robbed at gunpoint last year while walking inside the gated area. They have been trying to sell their condo there for 2 years with no luck.

I am not a Mexico hater but there are some people here on Cruise Critic that are writing completely false statements about Mexico. We would not cruise the west coast of Mexico again.

I wish Carnival would offer west coast cruises that went UP the West Coast... Catalina/San Francisco/Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver... etc... They should try this for a month or so and see how well they sell... because it is obvious the west coast of Mexico isn't selling.

I wish Carnival would offer west coast cruises that went UP the West Coast... Catalina/San Francisco/Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver... etc... They should try this for a month or so and see how well they sell... because it is obvious the west coast of Mexico isn't selling.

I took a 4 day pacific coastal with HAL. The problem with the west coast of the US is the water is very rough and these cruises are cold! It might be great if you aren't prone to motion sickness, but I found it was too rough for me.

My in-laws best friends live in an "exclusive" and gated community in Zihuat and she & some friends were robbed at gunpoint last year while walking inside the gated area. They have been trying to sell their condo there for 2 years with no luck.

I am not a Mexico hater but there are some people here on Cruise Critic that are writing completely false statements about Mexico. We would not cruise the west coast of Mexico again.

I have thought the same thing about the Pacific Coastal cruises. I think they should have or should try doing them like once a month during the summer. They could do a Pacific Costal like they did during the swine flu cruises like San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver or Astoria, Vancouver, and Victoria.

Or they could do a modified one like other cruises lines do. Like Catalina, Santa Barbara, San Francisco (some include an overnight), San Diego, and Ensenada.

I would think they would be popular and go for a higher price point if they only did about 5-8 a year.

Here is one Princess does.

1- Los Angeles...............4:00 pm

2- Santa Barbara.............7:00 am-6:00 pm

3- Sea

4- San Francisco................7:00 am-10:00 pm

5- Sea

6- San Diego......................8:00 am-6:00 pm

7- Ensenada......................8:00 am-5:00 pm

8 Los Angeles................... 7:00 am

It looks like they do this itinerary at the end of May, April, and beg. of May.

They also do

1- Los Angeles.............4:00 pm

2- San Francisco.......... 1:00 pm-Overnight

3- San Francisco..........Overnight-1:00 pm

4- Santa Barbara......... 8:00 am-6:00 pm

5 Catalina..................7:00 am-6:00 pm

6 San Diego..............8:00 am-5:00 pm

7 Ensenada................8:00 am-5:00 pm

8 Los Angeles............7:00 am

This one is done March, April, May, October

If Carnival does decide to cancel Puerto Vallarta, what other Mexican Riviera ports are viable for a 7-day MR itinerary?

Cabo/Cabo/Cabo would suck.

Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada (which Princess did) would suck.

Catalina/Cabo/Cabo would suck

Are there other ports that would be considered safe enough for Carnival?

Acapulco is out due to crime.

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is out due to crime

Manzanillo? Not the most exciting port, but something different, but can it get there on a 7 day cruise? No crime issues are there?

Mazatlan? Looks like other lines are adding this port again, might Carnival?

La Paz? Isn't crime here ok? Pretty close to Cabo.

Any other options?

We went to La Paz in October with Carnival Spirit. All we saw was getting off there we a bunch of overpriced canopys to buy suviners. Although it was a great cruise, La Paz was boring. I would rather spend 3 days in Cabo than go back there :eek:

We sailed on Splendor twice and enjoyed PV much more than Cabo and Mazatlan. I would hate to see Carnival removes PV from the Mexican Riviera cruise. The recent robbery is a very unfortunate and scary incident , and I would understand if Carnival decides to pull out of PV. I don't think I would like to spend 2 days in Cabo and 5 days at sea or add 1 day to Ensenada. I would vote for La Paz if Carnival has to remove PV from the itinerary. I've never been to La Paz, but the reviews seem positive...as far as fishing and whale watching.

They might take into consideration that it didn't happen in The city of PV actually and stop offering those tours that travel out into the interior.

We will enjoy our vacation whatever happens, but I agree with those who say we probably won't be cruising The Mexican Riviera much longer.

How sad for everyone who needs us there, and for those who love to visit Mexico.

[quote name=cdamion;32603623

Cabo/Cabo/Cabo would suck.

Cabo/Cabo/Ensenada (which Princess did) would suck.

Catalina/Cabo/Cabo would suck

As a SoCal resident' date=' I completely agree! Also, as another posted said, the number of passengers on the Splendor would flood Catalina Island and the tiny town of Avalon.

DH and I were planning on doing a private dune buggy tour in PV. One of the things I was most excited about was seeing the jungle, waterfall, etc. We'll have to see how things play out. :(

If the itinerary switches to Cabo/Ensenada/Catalina (or Cabo/Cabo/Catalina) we'll almost certainly cancel our September trip. We did Ensenada and Catalina a year ago on our honeymoon and it was nice, but not something we'd probably do again. A big part of the appeal of Cabo/PV was new places to explore. Of course, we don't want to get mugged!

Another vote for the dedicated resort idea.

A number of years ago, the Mexican Tourism people built Ixtapa and Cancun I believe pretty much out of nothing to attract tourists.

A new place that is more accessible for the Cruise ships could keep the ships in the Mexican Riviera.

I used to go to a resort south of PV that was in a beutiful area called Costa Careyes. Unfortunately the resort was purchased by a rich guy and torn down because it interfered with his view.

The nice thing about the state of Jalisco is that the rainy season runs from July to Sept and the winter is the mild climate season.

Archived