Trying again - with pictures - Summit SoCa - Will definitely be back!

Jborosara

St. Kitts, cont'd

after the hard day hiking, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset off of our Deck 11 balcony, then another fabulous dinner at Blu....

IMG_2496.jpg

We actually went to the comedy show tonight and it was good - very good, in fact... hubby visited Michael's for a special beer (it was four bucks over our drink package limit) and I enjoyed a nice glass of wine before we absolutely CRASHED for the night!

It was a hard, but good, day!

Port #3: Dominca!

We slept hard that night - very hard - but woke up fresh and ready to go, if more than a touch sore from the day before. The truth is that we both could hardly move we were so sore. My butt ached from falling on it so much in the mud of the rain forest! But we had a private tour book through bumpiing tours to do a more moderate hike or two and see some waterfalls and rain forests.

If we had known in advance how sore we'd be, we wouldn't have scheduled this particular tour. We ALMOST asked to change to a less strenuous tour, but when we found out that Levi Baron, himself, was going to be our guide for the day, we decided to suck it up.

I was impressed how cautious Levi was. The roads were narrow and winding and I was never scared for a moment - at least not until "the incident." We were travelling up a mountain when all of the sudden we saw an Isuzu truck barreling down the same mountain straight at us, and not on its side of the road. Levi veered to keep us from a head-on collision (would not have been his fault, but a head-on is bad, not matter whose fault it is). We ran up on a concrete curb and had a blow-out. Flat tire. Every one who has ever booked a private tour - this is your nightmare.

Levi was unfazed. He was fabulous! He started changing the tire and the tire wouldn't come off. Still unfazed. Several of the group with us were freaking. Levi was calm. I knew that no matter what we were three miles from the boat and worse came to worse I could walk back, if necessary. So none of this really mattered to me. It took well over an hour to fix the tire - we were thankful for the kindness of strangers and for WD-40. We were late, but the tire was fixed and on we went.

We told Levi later in the day that we were glad he would remember us. He said it was the first time he'd ever had a flat tire on a tour (i believe him). He was willing to call in help, if necessary, but hesitated to do so because it would cost one of his friends a day's pay - despite pressure from others on our tour to call someone in. I whole-heartedly support his decision. I think it is easy for us, as Americans, to think that the whole world enjoys our standard of living. But the truth is that most of those who serve us in the Caribbean live day to day, dependent upon the income from tourism. My hour wait was not more important that a day's pay to a local. I respected Levi for that!

In general, I like private tours better because i think you get a better feel for where you are and because I prefer smaller groups. I do not think that a larger tour group than ours (4 fairly fit couples) would have been able to finish this tour this day. But we did fine - in spite of our soreness.

After fixing the tire, it was not long before we reached the trailhead of the Mendenhall falls. Levi said it was a "moderate" hike - the first 20 or 30 minutes harder, then up and down from there. He didn't lie. The first 25 minutes were straight uphill and tough.

We stopped regularly along the way to just take in the scenery.... what a beautiful place.

IMG_2516.jpg

Photos A+ What kind of camera are you using for underwater and above water?

Review A+ Keep it coming!!

How did you finally figure out how to upload the photos (I want to learn to do this too)?

Summit-A+ over the top beautiful. So excited to hear about the deck 11 cabins as we just switched to one. Can't wait to see pictures of the cabin and the balcony too.

Thanks so much for doing this!!!!!

beautiful waterfalls just seemed to come out of the rocks - just wherever - whenever - out of nowhere! I don't think I've ever been anywhere more beautiful!

IMG_2519.jpgIMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

The hike up to the Mendenhall falls was considerably easier than the day before, but still a challenge - especially as sore as we were... would not attempt if I wasn't a regular exerciser!

Mendenhall falls were totally worth the hike. Beautiful! It was about a 45 minute hike in - not too hard, but certainly a workout. Several in our group climbed down for a swim in the pool beneath the falls. I passes because it was cold and I came to the Caribbean for WARM! It was beautiful, though - we spent a good 15-20 minutes just taking in the beauty of the day.

IMG_2520.jpg

After this, we loaded back up, content with the knowledge that the hardest part of the day was behind us, and headed for Titou gorge. It was used as a location in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie - and i need to rent that movie again.

It was a short drive to the gorge. Apparently there are several other "adventure" type tours there, too. One fellow in the group before us said the water was cold - then said brisk. Cold was the right word. it is cold - very cold - very, very cold. Even when it was hot outside, the water was frigid - frigid to the point I never warmed up or got "used to" the temperature. But that doesn't diminish the splendor of the experience.

We swam - upstream - through a cave - to a magnificent waterfall. Levi guided us every step of the way. I am a good swimmer and had very little trouble with the swim. My husband isn't as strong of a swimmer, and Levi helped him along with a ring. Everyone in our group made it to the interior. Two guys jumped off the waterfall. Levi jumped from a cliff above the waterfall.

PICT0087.jpg

This is a shot - from our water camera - from inside the cave....

PICT0091.jpg

Levi jumping from the cliff! Quite the experience...

PICT0094.jpg

After Titou Gorge, Levi took us to Trafalgar falls. Apparently this is quite the tourist spot, but we were there late enough in the day that there were very few others there. Very easy hike to the falls - nice viewing platform - beautiful setting.

Twin falls here - one called the mama and the other the papa - I don't remember which was which.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Loving your photos and review, we did this itinerary on Summit. Dominica was our favorite island. We were lucky enough to take a tour with Levi also....he is just an amazing guide to an enchanting island. I'd love to go back.

How did your DH enjoy Michaels? Mine is very anxious to try the beers Glad it hear out were able to pay the difference on the more expensive beers

Most of our group of eight would have been content to return to the cruise ship after the soak, but one of us was determined to snorkel the Champagne Reef. Levi, determined to please everyone, did his best to make this happen.

We made it to the spot, but the waves were too intense to even try a snorkel. Still a beautiful spot.

IMG_2549.jpg

Loving your hoots and review, we did this itinerary on Summit. Dominic epwas our favorite island. We were lucky enough to take a tour with Levi also....he is just an amazing guide to an enchanting island. I'd love to go back.

How did your DH enjoy Michaels? Mine is very anxious to try the beers Glad it hear out were able to pay the difference on the more expensive beers

He LOVED Michael's.... helped turn him from so-so on cruising to YAY!!!

enjoyed several beers from there - liked them all. what he enjoyed most was being able to ask the bartender what he would like based on what he likes in a beer and liking it better than he thought he would, if that makes any sense. i'm not a beer drinker so was just along for the ride.

it was pretty hilarious going into Michael's on the last formal night at 430pm or so in our beach gear sitting next to all the folks in gowns and tuxes... more there than anywhere else on the ship. we didn't stay - just got his beer and left, but certainly got some looks, too:-)

Port #4: Grenada

We originally planned to do a hike here as well, but our plans for a catamaran to St. Kitts fell through so we changed that to the volcano hike - then the Dominica hike - just didn't feel another hike!

We book the Shadowfax Champagne Lobster cruise through Celebrity. As previously mentioned, I am not a fan of cruise ship excursions - generally too many people and too close proximity. But this one was an exception. It is pricey, for sure, but really wonderful and relaxing, which is just what the doctor ordered after a couple of hard days' hiking.

The tour didn't start until 9am which gave us time to both sleep in a bit and enjoy another breakfast in Blu. Have I mentioned how much we like Blu?

I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the typical cattle call cruise ship excursion. Prolly not more than 30 or so folks - we gathered - left on time - a short bus ride to the dock - loaded on the boat and left. Very simple - very well executed. Much better than I expected.

St. Georges is a beautiful city and I was pleased that the tour started with a boat tour through the bay.

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

He LOVED Michael's.... helped turn him from so-so on cruising to YAY!!!

enjoyed several beers from there - liked them all. what he enjoyed most was being able to ask the bartender what he would like based on what he likes in a beer and liking it better than he thought he would, if that makes any sense. i'm not a beer drinker so was just along for the ride.

it was pretty hilarious going into Michael's on the last formal night at 430pm or so in our beach gear sitting next to all the folks in gowns and tuxes... more there than anywhere else on the ship. we didn't stay - just got his beer and left, but certainly got some looks, too:-)

Thanks. My DH doesn't need any convincing to cruise, but this will be the icing on the cake for him!

We were in the last group to make the summit. There were some (very dry) pastries that the guides brought to help us refuel for the descent - and some guava juice. My advice if you decide to take this on - bring your own water and own fuel! Also, be sure you bring a backpack suitable for hiking to carry it in. And be sure to wear the right shoes (we saw people in flip flops doing this hike - she actually made the summit before us).

here are some pics from the summit (the mountain, not the ship)... it really was worth the hike.

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Here is a picture of the crater lake 60 feet down... with more time, we could scale down there... also with more energy!

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

We had spectacular weather. It did rain on the hike back down - which is not good when there is a lot of mud to trudge through. Coming back to the ship, numerous people commented that we looked like we had more fun than they did. I think we did - but mostly we were just covered in mud and dirt and sweat.

Here is a picture of my cold towel after I wiped my face down....

IMG_2495.jpg

Gotta LOVE those Celebrity cold towels! It never felt so good before or since!

For the record, they tell you to wear long pants because of the foliage - DON'T - it is not necessary and you will burn up! Also the tickets said to wear long sleeves because of cold temps at the top.... also DO NOT DO THIS! HUGE mistake! Thankfully, we had the convertible pants and could roll up our sleeves! HOT! HOT! HOT!

Amazing photos!!! Thank you so much for sharing. We are sailing on the Summit departing 3/10/12 and so looking forward to Aqua class and Blu.

There are iguanas everywhere! And they don't bite - most will sit very still for pictures. Signs everywhere beg you not to feed them.

IMG_2337.jpg

Love this shot from your SX20 :)

I just picked up an S100 for our next cruise on the Summit this coming April.

I'll finish tomorrow - it's 10pm here... past my bedtime:-)

Thank yo so much for all yor efforts in posting the great photos and commentary

Any chance you can post same on Aquaclass stateroom 1100 specifically?

I love boats - especially sail boats, so the harbor was the perfect place to take too many pictures:-)

IMG_2556.jpg

Next time I come back to Grenada, I'm walking around the harbor just a bit. Apparently there is a tunnel that you can walk into town from the ship. It looked like a fun place to just walk around

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

This is the oldest house on the island - also the headquarters for the housing department, which encourages people to fix up old houses - a very cool idea!

IMG_2585.jpg

Archived