Trying again - with pictures - Summit SoCa - Will definitely be back!

Jborosara

This has been a wonderfully entertaining review. Thank you so much. We did mainly the same cruise before Summit was refitted, did a B2B starting in NJ and going to Bermuda, then on to SJ and the same 7 day itinerary you did. I am sorry about the obnoxious Cdn. We are not all that way! If you are half as good a Dr as you are a photographer and writer, then I wish you were in my area. Glad you enjoyed the cruise so much you are repeating it. That's always proof in my mind, that it was a great holiday.

I didn't mean to disparage all Canadians... we actually had a lovely day with a couple from Canada in Dominica - it was fascinating for me to hear about their healthcare system and, frankly, how vastly superior it is to ours in the US in almost every way - which made this woman's complaints seem even weirder!

63galaxie

How did you finally figure out how to upload the photos (I want to learn to do this too)?

I have found the easiest way to post a pic directly into a CC post is to use tinypic. It was actually one of the CC moderators who gave the directions a couple of years ago.

1) go to http://tinypic.com/

2) A page opens up that will allow you to browse your picture files and to select the pic you want to upload. Select your pic, choose the size you want the pic to be when you post it here on CC.

3) Click upload now. There will be one of those graphic puzzles to type in and it will start uploading

4) Upload completed and there are choices with web address in them. Highlight the one for message boards. Copy it and paste it into your CC post. when you post your message your pic will be there in the size you selected.

Piece of cake.

I actually used photo bucket - it is a free online photo sharing site - upload there - when you scroll over a picture, you have four options for sharing - you want the bottom one - it is a link copy - simply paste into your post and voila!

Thanks for the great review!

If you ever get back to Grenada again, I definitely recommend the walk through the tunnel to the carenage. And I liked the spices we bought from Dot's over there better than those we had bought in the open market the previous year.

I would have been very cranky to have paid for AQ and not to have received footstools. I'm hoping that was just an oversight. Did you ask anywhere about that?

And thanks for the stateroom pictures. First ones I've seen. Interesting that they stuck with the M class type of stateroom. Actually, I prefer that to the S class. How about the bathroom? There I think the S class has the edge. Sounds as if you had an M class-type bathroom if you had a shower curtain.

wow fantastic pictures and thank you for all your advise, we will be on the Summit on April 7, 2012 can't wait

:)

wish I was going back in April! Alas.... we aren't going back until next January! The only good news is that I get to start planning (and training) now!

Thanks Jborosara for the great review and pictures. We are sailing March 10th also in Aqua Class. Your review makes us look forward even more. Looks like Blu was the big hit for you? Can you give an example of breakfast menu options in Blu? I tried finding a Blu breakfast menu here on cruise critic but they seem to have only dinner menus. :)

Ed

We were on the same cruise as you, Jborosara! I remember talking to you briefly as we waited for the taxi to take us to Big Beard's and you telling us that you were returning after having honeymooned there and visiting Buck island(before the hurricane). You did a great job with the pictures and review! Really reminded us of what a wonderful cruises it was and how lucky we were to have such a great weather week and smooth seas!

Just to add on - we were a little disappointed in the snorkeling at Buck Island, but we did see a HUGE school of beautiful blue fish that was fascinating to see. If we went back, I would just do the 1/2 day too. Ok to do the lunch thing once, but not really worth doing again.

We really liked Qsine, but would not rush to do that again as the novelty of it was most fun the first time. I agree, so much food it is overwhelming at Qsine, even though we tried to limit the portions and the order. Lots of fun though!

We did get to snorkel at Champayne Reef and that was our favorite snorkeling trip of anyplace we have snorkeled, including Hawaii. We were able to get out there in the morning, but wear water shoes! It is rocky and current strong getting in. Fins are not helpful there in my opinion.

We were in a Concierge Cabin and did not get stools on the balcony either. However, we did eat breakfast almost every morning on our balacony and it was wonderful.

They did a good job refurbishing the Summit and we enjoyed that they had added Bistro on Five as we were familiar with it from Solstice. It is a great place to eat for $5. extra and almost always quiet there. Great service too!

Only disappointment was the Gelato. This I think they need to improve for the extra cost. Didn't taste much different than the free ice cream upstairs.

Thanks again for the great picture memories of our cruise, Jborosara!

Thanks Jborosara for the great review and pictures. We are sailing March 10th also in Aqua Class. Your review makes us look forward even more. Looks like Blu was the big hit for you? Can you give an example of breakfast menu options in Blu? I tried finding a Blu breakfast menu here on cruise critic but they seem to have only dinner menus. :)

Ed

Here's a link to the breakfast menu. I loved the pastries that were offered by a waitress!!

Celebrity Solstice - Blu breakfast menu

Thank you Jborosara for submitting such a fantastic, photo-illustrated and detailed review of your cruise on the newly refurbished Celebrity Summit.

I am new to cruise ship travel and am just now looking to book my first trip, which led me to discovering the 7-day So. Caribbean cruise that the Summit sets voyage on...

The details about your experience, especially in Aqua Class allowing you to use services like the Blu restaurant, have made it clear that I would like to travel on that itinerary, ship, and upgrade my cabin. I think that is what I needed to hear to convince me that there might be some quieter areas on board, away from the hustle and bustle, when one desires that.

You really deserve to earn a free stateroom for next year--if you submit this to, or were writing on behalf of, Celebrity Cruises.

Thank you jborosara, I learn something new everyday!

Also, thank you for the review! I am trying to decide if I should give Celebrity a try for our next cruise.

I know what to expect on Royal Caribbean, so I am trying to learn everything there is to know about Celebrity before "jumping ship". :)

We LOVED Magen's Bay and will definitely return if there aren't too many ships in port. The beach is easily a mile long and there is plenty of room - I just wouldn't want to have to lug my chair that far:-)

Bathrooms were plentiful and well maintained. Chair rental was five bucks - lockers are available for 5 bucks, which was nice is hubby and I wanted to swim at the same time.

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful photos- you have brought the Summit and cruise ports alive with your great journaling of each days activities. So looking forward to our cruise.

We were on the same cruise as you, Jborosara! I remember talking to you briefly as we waited for the taxi to take us to Big Beard's and you telling us that you were returning after having honeymooned there and visiting Buck island(before the hurricane). You did a great job with the pictures and review! Really reminded us of what a wonderful cruises it was and how lucky we were to have such a great weather week and smooth seas!

Just to add on - we were a little disappointed in the snorkeling at Buck Island, but we did see a HUGE school of beautiful blue fish that was fascinating to see. If we went back, I would just do the 1/2 day too. Ok to do the lunch thing once, but not really worth doing again.

We really liked Qsine, but would not rush to do that again as the novelty of it was most fun the first time. I agree, so much food it is overwhelming at Qsine, even though we tried to limit the portions and the order. Lots of fun though!

We did get to snorkel at Champayne Reef and that was our favorite snorkeling trip of anyplace we have snorkeled, including Hawaii. We were able to get out there in the morning, but wear water shoes! It is rocky and current strong getting in. Fins are not helpful there in my opinion.

We were in a Concierge Cabin and did not get stools on the balcony either. However, we did eat breakfast almost every morning on our balacony and it was wonderful.

They did a good job refurbishing the Summit and we enjoyed that they had added Bistro on Five as we were familiar with it from Solstice. It is a great place to eat for $5. extra and almost always quiet there. Great service too!

Only disappointment was the Gelato. This I think they need to improve for the extra cost. Didn't taste much different than the free ice cream upstairs.

Thanks again for the great picture memories of our cruise, Jborosara!

I suspect I know just who you are, too:-) It was a fun and relaxing day - wearing my t-shirt right now and smiling:-)

Hopefully next time we get to snorkel at Champagne reef...!

We loved our balcony. I think I was out there pretty much most of the time we were in the room that I wasn't asleep. The view really is prettier from up high. Our only disappointment was no foot rests. This bothered hubby more than me - i just propped my feet up on the railing.

We did have a nice big table and could easily have had breakfast on our balcony - didn't figure out where the hang tags were until too late - that was our fault - we also never asked where they were. For me, I couldn't pass up breakfast in Blu and you can't order that from room service.

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

I am one of those that would LOVE to sleep with the door open - but I don't.

Also to be noted, the AC worked fine - some nights more than fine. Several mornings I got up freezing cold and one night I slept in the very think robe that was in the room. I was glad it worked well - hubby does not do well in warm rooms.

Do you know if the balcony partitions can be opened? Also, what was on the other side of balcony 1100? Could people see in? Was it noisy at all? Thank you.

Archived