Bringing Alcohol aboard Princess in Puerto Rico

HIPrincess

Princess policy states that you can bring aboard one 750ml bottle per person of wine or champagne. They can't seem to tell us however if it needs to be in the your carry on when you board or the checked luggage they board for you. We have taken a cruise on Carnival Dream and when they ran someone elses carry on through the scanner of they had packed their wine in there and it was confiscated, however it clearly stated must be packed in the luggage they load on the ship. Anyone have any experiences with this? Or carried on non-alchoholic beverages with any resistance? Thanks in advance.

Princess policy states that you can bring aboard one 750ml bottle per person of wine or champagne. They can't seem to tell us however if it needs to be in the your carry on when you board or the checked luggage they board for you. We have taken a cruise on Carnival Dream and when they ran someone elses carry on through the scanner of they had packed their wine in there and it was confiscated, however it clearly stated must be packed in the luggage they load on the ship. Anyone have any experiences with this? Or carried on non-alchoholic beverages with any resistance? Thanks in advance.

I assume you are referring to the Q&A booklet. It quotes the Princess Passage Contract as limiting wine to one 750 ml bottle per adult. In fact there is no such statement in the passage contract.

If you want to comply, the bottle should be in the carryon.

We always have our wine in our checked luggage as we are flying. The Princess contract trumps anything else you may see. There is no limit to the amount of wine you can bring onboard. If you take to the dining room, you will be charged a $15 corkage fee.

If you are at the Pan American terminal which Princess uses in Puerto Rico there will be a duty free shop right there where you get your stateroom keys (past where your already went through scanners) You can put it right into your carry on luggage or purse and backpack and carry right on board (as long as it is not in view).

If you are at the Pan American terminal which Princess uses in Puerto Rico there will be a duty free shop right there where you get your stateroom keys (past where your already went through scanners) You can put it right into your carry on luggage or purse and backpack and carry right on board (as long as it is not in view).

thanks for that info. do they have a full liquor store, or just wines? seems strange they would have other booze that we cant "legally" carry on.

We took on rum and scotch one bottle of each and had no problem. We bought them at a grocery store in San Juan. We also bought a case of coke. Prices were much cheaper than in the store in the terminal and we asked our taxi to stop at a store to shop he knew what we were looking for and the wait time was calculated into his price. We also needed other items. We also bought 2 small water bottles that we used to keep fresh tap water cold in our fridge.

And, I've had good experiences resupplying in ports of call as well. They never hassle me at all with a bottle or two of wine picked up in port somewhere. It's one big reason I tend to choose Princess for cruises over Royal Caribbean and their anal-retentive policy which prohibits PAX from bringing their own alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages onboard.

Royal treats PAX like children not to be trusted and Princess treats PAX like adults. If I take a wine-tasting excursion on Royal I can't buy a bottle of the local vintage and bring it back to the ship. On Princess - no problem.

THANKS Princess!

And, I've had good experiences resupplying in ports of call as well. They never hassle me at all with a bottle or two of wine picked up in port somewhere. It's one big reason I tend to choose Princess for cruises over Royal Caribbean and their anal-retentive policy which prohibits PAX from bringing their own alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages onboard.

Royal treats PAX like children not to be trusted and Princess treats PAX like adults. If I take a wine-tasting excursion on Royal I can't buy a bottle of the local vintage and bring it back to the ship. On Princess - no problem.

THANKS Princess!

Completely, completely, completely agree with the above. We also have had no problem resupplying during port stops.

• 1 month later...
Read your cruise contract re bringing alcohol on board. That is the defining document, not their "policy". Print it and bring it w you in case they hassle you.

DON

Thanks for the info. Will be crusing to Hawaii on Princess in April 2012.

Printed the contract and highlighted the info.

I've only sailed Princess once so far, but we carried wine on. Although the policy states one bottle per person, my wife and I were able to bring three on with no trouble. I have heard of people bringing a case or more on, but they had checked those.

Archived