dramamine vs. bonine..which do you prefer?

LEXIpoo

Meclizine works up to 24 hours and makes you less sleepy. Dimenhydrinate will only work 4-6 hours and tends to make you more sleepy.

And ginger pills have been proven to be just as effective as the antihistimines - we use a combination of Meclizine and ginger pills

Pressure wrist bands are only psychosomatic

just wondering what your experience has been with either of the two..I don't get sea sick but my bf does so I'm looking into them.

Bonine...I don't sail without it. Luckily, I have seldom had to take it, but when I do, it works :)

Your CVS brand motion sickness pill contains the generic Meclazine that I mentioned above.

The wrist bands are on acupuncture points and IF placed correctly they are more than just psychologically helpful!!

Actually, clinical studies have shown them to be ineffective for the majority

Not looking to pick a fight, but I had used Sea Bands quite a few years ago while fishing on Lake Ontario and deep sea fishing in the Gulf and they did nothing - being asian, I believed in the accupressure points, too.

After having the most miserable times on the water believing that the bands would work, I never used them again but did find that the pickled/candied ginger my grandmother would give me did. She would get them from her herbalist in Hong Kong.

Then I saw studies from a couple of years ago that ginger works just as well as the OTC drugs.

I know that they will work for some, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on them.....

As stated, less-drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are the same thing- Meclazine. This is what I take if needed. I take it at night if I anticipate rough seas. I only take it during the day if things are especially rough. It does make me sleepy if I take it during the day, but I tend to get used to it after a couple days. Also, a brief nap usually sets me right again.

Myth Busters says ginger works, along with the endorsements of many here. I only used them once and didn't find they worked for me, but maybe I didn't take enough? So I stick with meclizine for that reason.

I also bring along Dramamine for my kids. Meclizine is made for ages 12+ so if you have kids, bring that long as well.

I get seasick very easily.....for me Ginger works great for the nausea, and I bring Meclizine for the dizziness. I start taking both a day before I travel, and then once on board take them both twice a day. I Have to Cruise!! (lol...it's my addiction) . :)

I agree with Firefly. I take one chewable Bonine every night, starting the night before the cruise. I am prone to motion sickness, but this works for me. Just be sure to keep taking it every night, to prevent motion sickness the next day. I also chew ginger gum, which is found in the motion sickness remedy area of large drug stores. If you chew a piece of ginger gum when you feel queazy, it will usually knock out the feeling quickly. I keep a piece of it in my pocket most of the time that I'm on the ship. Many times, I have shared it with someone who NEEDED it, and it gave them relief.

I haven't read this entire thread so if this is a repeat I'm sorry. Give ginger a try...ginger snaps, candy or ginger in a capsule you can get in any health food store. It's natural and you can't overdose on it and take/eat as many as you like. The secret though (and this is true with any anti-seasick remedy) is to start taking it the day before you board.

the "behind the ear" patch, never fails....

Just my two cents on "behind the ear patch".....we are recently off the Miracle, and I get nauseous very easily while onboard...I also suffer terribly from feeling motion after cruising, sometimes for weeks. I have used the patch with great success both while onboard and afterward...HOWEVER, during our recent cruise with the patch, on the second day, much to my complete horror, at night when I returned to my cabin and picked up the Fun Times to read it, my vision was very blurry. I looked in the mirror, and my right pupil was fully dilated, the left pinpoint. Needless to say, it was a very frightening experience. I went to guest services immediately (It was midnight), and they put me on the phone with the oncall nurse who told me to take the patch off immediately. She said they do not recommend them, they do not sell them on the ships. She said the side effects are horrible and that my side effect may in fact be permanent. It took 24 hours with a wicked headache before my pupils returned to normal. I will never use them again.

I have used Sea Bands, and felt ok! ? Coincidence? I don't know, but that combined with Gravol (I'm Canadian) and ginger chews works fine for me! Just trying to give people a heads up that side effects do happen!

I am one that does not like to use medicine if it can be avoided. When I get on the ship I go to the buffet and get a couple of green apples and take them back to the cabin. If I start to get just the little bit queasy I eat a green apple. Works like a charm everytime. No more nausea or queasiness. I have seen this is what they tell the new crew members that get sea sick to eat when getting nauseated.

I take Dramimine..i bought the generic version at Walgreens and also bought Ginger tablets at Health Food STORE!!!!! I took the dramimine every morning with ginger and I get nauseated swinging in a porch swing and i didnt get sick...the last two cruises I puked the whole time...this last one in Oct was the best!!! NOT an ounce of sickness! I swear it was the Ginger!!!!!

I've only felt sick on one cruise, our last cruise out of Baltimore. This was sea day 2 and I did not start any sea sick meds prior to leaving. I had bonine with me, as well as ginger gum and sea bands. I took the bonine, chewed the ginger gum, ate green apples and drank ginger ale...nothing worked. I didn't use the sea bands because I didn't think they would work...how could they....but I put them on and I felt better. It wasn't an immediate thing, but I soon was able to move about the cabin and finally the ship. Prior to this, I was in bed. Maybe it was a combination of everything I was doing prior to putting on the bands, I guess I'll never know for sure.

Archived