Tours you can buy at the dock

welldone60

Thanks SOOO much for this! This is exactly what I've been looking for... for MONTHS. I don't want to book a ship excursion and I don't want to decide in advance what to do on Grand Cayman. These are great options and very affordable!

Welldone - thanks for the info. We leave this Sunday on the FOS Quick question, trying to decide which night to do a spec restaurant - do you recall which night in the MDR had the weakest menu? Thanks.

Vicky

Thanks ...these "work" for me

You can keep walking and the price of the $20 tour goes down to $15 LOL

and for me (with a group) it went down to $10 per person

I also "negotiated" the stingrays/snorkel from $40 to $35 each for 4 of them

Great info. Anyone actually done this and able to recommend operators to look for?

Rum point sounds like what I am looking for but not willing to do the rental car option. Part of the point of a cruise is no rental car lines!

I did, and actually negotiated a much cheaper price. I think we paid 20 dlls each for 2 adults for the Stingray and the kids were free. They put us on a really old school bus that was as hot as a sauna. But the ride was really short. Then we got on a boat to the Stingray's, and my brother in law was there. He paid like $175 per person on the ship. After the Stingrays we went snorkeling. It was great. The bus dropped us off at the pier with plenty of time to walk around the expensive shops and the famous tourist trap that is Margaritaville.

George Town has a great public "bus" system that is pretty easy to find from where the tender drops you. The buses are little minivans that leave every 15 minutes or so from a small lot near the public library and Heroes Square. They go pretty much all over the island (but NOT Rum Point) to the major attractions - Seven Mile Beach, Cemetery Beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, etc. The bus drivers (who, of course, speak English, as that's the language of the Caymans) will drop you off anywhere along a route that you want to go. The fare is usually $2.50 U.S. and you pay when you leave the "bus." To catch one going back, you stand on the opposite side of the street from where you're dropped off, keeping in mind that Caymanians drive on the left side of the road. There are no official bus stops, so if you see a minivan coming, wave at it and it will stop. If it honks at you when approaching, it is because the driver is asking if you want to get on the bus.

If you're only planning to go to a few places on Grand Cayman, it is easy to make up your own tour by taking the buses. The buses all return to the lot near the library, so you don't need to be afraid of getting lost. You will not be the only tourist on the bus, and you will find the drivers and passengers very courteous and helpful.

It seems like to East side tour includes Rum Point. Has anyone used this tour?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi, Biris - I'm following you around! ;) :p The Rum Point stop caught my eye, too! That could be our solution to heading over there! I'll pay $35. pp! I'm just wondering how long you get to stay there?!??!

Hi KCParrothead: Sure, we'd pay $35.00 for each person in our group just for the transportation to and from Rum Point. I've contacted some private companies, and now have narrowed down to Nativeway. I was told that we can spend for about 1.5 hours at Rum Point :( For those who have used Nativeway, were you provided with lifevests?

Thanks,

Biris

If you are talking about the Reef, Rays and Rum Point excursion, I think that they provide everything...life vests, snorkeling equipment, lunch etc. This excursion is one of our top two favorite excursions ever! Rum Point is simply gorgeous! It cost $62 for adults, can't remember how much for kids. Worth every penny (and I am a penny pincher! ;))

Kathy

Hi KCParrothead: Sure, we'd pay $35.00 for each person in our group just for the transportation to and from Rum Point. I've contacted some private companies, and now have narrowed down to Nativeway. I was told that we can spend for about 1.5 hours at Rum Point :( For those who have used Nativeway, were you provided with lifevests?

Thanks,

Biris

Biris - We've used Nativeway both times to Stingray City, & the last time was over to Rum Pt. It may have been about 1.5 hours, but felt more like an hour. They are a good company & do provide everything. I'm holding out for a drive through the east end & hanging out for 2 or 3 hrs. at Rum Pt! I think we may use this company as long as can talk 2 or 4 of our friends to join us! http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

Archived