Single Supplement

hexdragon

I've seen both 200% and 150% advertised, based on the ship and the length. I believe most of the S-Class cruises you pay the full 200% while the older ships seem to be lower. As the older ships come out of dry dock for updates, I believe the supplement is going up.

As long as I have been cruising Celebrity, the single supplement has been 200% (you are paying as if two people were in the cabin). I have seen some sales on Celebrity where it has been reduced to 150% and some sales on other lines that have waived the single supplement all together. I've never seen any cruise line that I have looked into cruising over 200% (not saying that there might be someone over 200%, others might be more knowledgable on this), however, I have seen some lower; i.e, Crystal is 135% for a veranda cabin.

I was disheartened to see Celebrity raise their supplement to 200% pretty much across the board BUT they have weekly "Happy Hour" specials where some sailings are "only" 150%. I just booked a 13-day Transatlantic repositioning Veranda cabin single for $1203 including port charges and taxes. I could have gotten the outside for $938 plus taxes, around $1060. Keep looking :)

With Celebrity the 200% applies to the cruise fare component of the price only, ie excluding the port taxes.

On the cruise I am looking at the twin share rate is $1299 and the port taxes are $300 so the cruise fare would be $999. So the single fare is:

2 x $999 = $1998 + $300 = $2298

And then you add the government taxes and fees, which are always quoted separately.

Some cruise lines simply double the twin share rate so you end up paying the port taxes twice! At least Celebrity don't do that.

The other annoying thing about Celebrity (as noted on another thread recently) is that they don't offer single fares on Guarantee fares.

With Celebrity the 200% applies to the cruise fare component of the price only, ie excluding the port taxes.

On the cruise I am looking at the twin share rate is $1299 and the port taxes are $300 so the cruise fare would be $999. So the single fare is:

2 x $999 = $1998 + $300 = $2298

And then you add the government taxes and fees, which are always quoted separately.

Some cruise lines simply double the twin share rate so you end up paying the port taxes twice! At least Celebrity don't do that.

The other annoying thing about Celebrity (as noted on another thread recently) is that they don't offer single fares on Guarantee fares.

I have paid 150% solo supplement on guarantee cabins booked via Celebrity website and not on a sale day.

Annie

I can see part of their point. They still need to clean the room, wash the sheets... but the full double price????

Well it is still better than in the old "Love Boat" episodes where the line would pick a cabin mate for you... :rolleyes:

Double fare. You have to pay for both you and your invisible roommate. Disgusting and discrimination against solo travelers.

I don't have a problem paying for my invisible roommate if a ship is at full capacity, but if the ship is not full why can't the cruise line give us at least 50% back. I think more singles would cruise.

I can see part of their point. They still need to clean the room, wash the sheets... but the full double price????

Well it is still better than in the old "Love Boat" episodes where the line would pick a cabin mate for you... :rolleyes:

It is much like booking a hotel room where they charge you the same price whether you have one person or two in the room.

I would not want the cruise line or the hotel to pick a roommate for me either.

Well, on second thought I can think of someone that I might not mind if they picked..... :D

Which ones? I might be interested!

Tonight, when I pull up the TAs eastbound, I am getting 132-146%. Caribbean cruises on Millie in March and April are very low on Happy Hour, and 130%. One rate was a resident, not Happy hour. 4 day cruise solo for $349...If only I could drive to the port! EM

Double fare. You have to pay for both you and your invisible roommate. Disgusting and discrimination against solo travelers.

From Celebrity's perspective, it is totally justified in the interest of recouping the lost revenue they would be faced with given there would be less onboard spending related to the single-occupied cabin. But there are the occasional sales as others point out. I got lucky once last year and did not have to pay any supplement during a Happy Hour sale.

From Celebrity's perspective, it is totally justified in the interest of recouping the lost revenue they would be faced with given there would be less onboard spending related to the single-occupied cabin. But there are the occasional sales as others point out. I got lucky once last year and did not have to pay any supplement during a Happy Hour sale.

how often do they have sales on single supplements cause im looking at a fall transatlantic and paying double for a balcony is gonna make me cry when i pull the trigger

how often do they have sales on single supplements cause im looking at a fall transatlantic and paying double for a balcony is gonna make me cry when i pull the trigger

Check the online booking engine for Exciting Deals every Tuesday and see what TA rates and supplement reductions appear. Right now I only see some great rates for the upcoming eastbound TA cruises which have to be booked by the end of the day eastern time. For example, on the Eclipse 13 day TA from Miami on 4/21 you can get a single rate for a total of $1503.61 (including port fees) in Concierge category C3 or C2! Or you can get an inside category 9 or 10 for even less, $903.61 the lowest fare on that cruise for a single. The downside is early dining is not available and Celebrity Select dining is on wait list. Plus there are only three ports. Might not be a problem for most.

Usually these sales cover cruises in the next couple of months so you might not see westbound TA rates in the fall any time soon. Start checking every Tuesday a few months before the fall and you might get a similar deal if they need to fill cabins. Most of the time you must book and make final payment all on Tuesday by 11:59:59pm eastern time to lock in the rate. So if something looks like an offer you can't refuse, purchase immediately! Just look every Tuesday for fun regardless of what cruise you are after and you might luck out.

Archived