So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

I ask the people sitting nearby. If they tell me they've been there for hours and haven't seen anything but a towel and a flipflop on that chair, it's mine!

I feel like the people beating the less-than-30-minute dead horse are being deliberately obtuse. If all your crap (and not just a towel or a flipflop) is on a chair, I will assume you are nearby and coming back. :rolleyes: If you are worried, make a sign that says "I'm in the pool/bathroom/buffet line; be right back". Or get a chair you can see from the hot tub/pool. That's what I do, to ensure nobody steals my stuff.

This is a good idea, thanks.

I have been on many cruises and never sit in the sun however I do enjoy the hot tub or the pool on a nice day. I do not understand why the ships do not provide a place to put my towel sandals and coverup while I am in the pool. I end up taking up a chair which I have no intention of using - to me taking up a chair all day would be the same as expecting a table to be saved all day at the buffet or a bar stool at your favorite bar. I think the ships personal have to take more responsibility and be less afraid of ruffling the feathers of the selfish chair hogs!

If the ships had cubicles or some other place to leave your things wwhile in the pool I would agree with you. However, they don't. The only plance to leave your things when you get up to get in the pool is in your chair. For some reason none of the cruise lines have tried putting some bins within sight of the pool for people to place things when their primary purpose is to use the pool.

Of course you also get an interesting sense of entitlement of those that move things. Often they do not want 30 minutes for all of the claims being made here. I have had to yell at people numerous times who have tried to move my things, while I have been in the pool. Often in as little as within the first five minutes of getting into the pool.

The battle of holier than though is interesting to watch between the group that feels that they are entitled to save chairs and the group that feels that they are entitled to play judge, jury and executioner. In my opinion both are playing a game of entitlement. Oppostie views, but really the same game.

I have been on many cruises and never sit in the sun however I do enjoy the hot tub or the pool on a nice day. I do not understand why the ships do not provide a place to put my towel sandals and coverup while I am in the pool. I end up taking up a chair which I have no intention of using
On our recent Caribbean Princess cruise, the adults-only Terrace pool was our favorite hangout. They wisely built nice wooden bleachers for those who want a dry place to park their stuff but don't need a lounger:

2.1229309100.terrace-pool-on-caribbean-princess.jpg

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

No you don't have the right to come back to that same chair. You didn't rent it for the day you used it for your enjoyment during the time you were at the pool. When you finish you massage you are welcome to come back out and find another seat.

But I also wonder why someone would leave their personal stuff on a chair (not talking towels here) with several thousand strangers walking around. Personally I like to know where my things are and have them with me when I leave the area.

As OP have said, it is a matter of common courtesy above and beyond the fact that there is a 30 minute rule. Do people really leave their brains on shore and only pack an entitlement mind set when they go through embarcation?

NOW would probably be a good time to make your children aware of the rules and that they apply to them as well. If not, what do you think they are going to grow up to be?......you got it, a 'chair hog' because they were never taught better. I've actually never met a boy that would rather be laying in a chair then out being kenetic. You can make them aware of keeping time of how much they swim. If they are gonna be there for an hour or two simming that is precious time for other adults to use chairs they worked hard for the rest of the year for....Girls may be a different story...I'm just sayin :)

Not really sure what your point is here. First off, just because you have never MET a boy that wants to lay in a chair then out being "kenetic"? That is a pretty broad brush to paint all boys with, maybe he isnt feeling well, maybe he likes to read, maybe he already swam and now wants to rest or take a nap. As for rules, my kids are well aware of the rules and hence the reason I left one behind to watch the stuff while we left for a short period of time, said child was intimidated into giving up our chairs by a "chair bully". As for how much time they swim, if you have kids you should know that they lose track of time in the pool. And why are girls a different story? Not sure I am following what your "sayin"

If I see a pool chair in the sun, no one having used it for 30 minutes, I pickup the stuff, put it on another chair in the shade or on a table , and use the chair. When they return, I plead ignorance. Who cares?

If I see a pool chair in the sun, no one having used it for 30 minutes, I pickup the stuff, put it on another chair in the shade or on a table , and use the chair. When they return, I plead ignorance. Who cares?

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about that. What if those items belonged to disable Vet or handicap person?

Hello, this is my first post. My wife and I just did a P&O cruise around the South Pacific and the ship was full of passengers. We found it very hard to get seating in the shade, we hate being cooked in the tropical sun.

The pool area was about the only shaded outdoor seating we could find and sometimes we like to watch all the activities so we wanted to sit there.

One day somebody left 1 book on a table with 4 chairs. We walked around and around and thought no one is going to come back here so we occupied 2 chairs. No one ever did come back. On the other hand I like to drink some beer and one time i went to the bar to buy a beer and 4 people moved in on my table so I had to go somewhere else. I mean I don't own that table so I moved on.

Anyhow I think it is selfish for people to claim deckchairs and throw a towel over and disappear for a couple of hours.

After some tricky in depth searching my wife and I found a nice little spot under the life boats on deck 10 in the shade. Hardly anyone ever went there and we found our special little spot. The ship was the Pacific Sun.

Getting a decent chair in the buffet, show lounge or around the pool was always a challenge but not impossible if you picked your times or just went early.

Anyhow, nice board and nice to meet you all. We are from Sydney Australia.

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about that. What if those items belonged to disable Vet or handicap person?

Exactly what if that chair was for a Vet that just came back from the war. Or even worse what if it was for a child or a child with a Disabilty how would that make alot of you feel. I hope BAD. So when you touch someones stuff keep this in mind, It could have been YOU. (:

So let's say you move someone's stuff who was a "chair hog," and they finally come back to find you all snug in their chair and ask what the BEEP you are doing and where is there stuff? What do you say? And what do you do if they are nasty? That would be my worry, I don't want drama on my vacation.

People, he's a troll...this thread will go on forever because nothing you say is going to make a difference! :rolleyes: Trolls don't make sense, just go back and look at some of his posts on this thread. You didn't fall for his Veteran rant now he's moved on to sick people need chairs! PULEASE!:D

You are totally right Cigar Dude, this thread went from something simple to the EXTREME!:D

So let's say you move someone's stuff who was a "chair hog," and they finally come back to find you all snug in their chair and ask what the BEEP you are doing and where is there stuff? What do you say? And what do you do if they are nasty? That would be my worry, I don't want drama on my vacation.

I'd just say it was empty when I got there. How long were you gone? Someone else must have moved it, since the rule says you cannot save a chair for more than 30 minutes. I'll lie to avoid confrontation. If they are drunk and really ridiculous. I'd probably just leave. Not worth it. Even though that means loud crappy people get their way.

If it was a Vet, of course I'd thank him for his/her service while wishing him/her good luck in finding somewhere else to sit.

Of course, I never stay in a chair for more than 30 minutes... Laying out bores me. That said, I HAVE moved someone's towel after the chair was vacant for an hour. I gave it to the serenity deck attendant. They didn't come back while I was there.

I think if someone is that frail, they are IN their lounger, not spending 45 minutes standing in line at the Mongolian barbecue. :rolleyes:

Frail??? Lol, Really? Guess you don't know many people with Cancer. Cancer patients alot of the time when given a "certain" amount of time, they are great until the very end.

True to form, I see this thread has taken a turn to the extreme. :rolleyes:

We're talking about common courtesy; that's it.

Occupy the seat or it's subject to be taken. No reservations.

I love you, CD. :D

As entertaining as this has been, it's also a tremendous time suck,and I must now go try and do something useful with what remains of the day. Carry on, Texans! I found a team shirt for you-

stirring.jpg

You voluntarily take that chance by leaving your stuff and knowing good and damned well you are chair hogging.

OK - What is FAIR? To leave all your stuff, i.e. books, flip flops, towels, on 3 or 4 chairs and then leave for 2 hours and expect your stuff to be there and and not have that chair being used by all the other paying guests on the same ship. AGAIN BEING FAIR!!!! I agree with with above quote if you leave your stuff, you are gambling with your stuff, you know the rules, but you just don't care about anyone else, again being Fair.

Why should any chair remain empty for more than an half hour? Carnival Needs to post BIG SIGNS and then enforce this policy and then have an employee remove all chair hogg stuff to one secure location. :)

Lets see if i have this straight, I can not leave a chair for more than 30 mins, I can not get up in the morning and put my stuff on a chair to save the chair, Handicap people can not save a chair, I can not save a chair in a Theater, I only have and IQ between 70-79, some people think im a Troll, people on Cruise Critic are very up tight and dont have a sense of humor sometimes.

Let me know if I missed something here.

Lets see if i have this straight, I can not leave a chair for more than 30 mins, I can not get up in the morning and put my stuff on a chair to save the chair, Handicap people can not save a chair, I can not save a chair in a Theater, I only have and IQ between 70-79, some people think im a Troll, people on Cruise Critic are very up tight and dont have a sense of humor sometimes.

Let me know if I missed something here.

You may have it now.

There is no chair hogging!!!!

Archived