So Chair Hogs dont have rights?

JPTexan82

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

That is absolutely correct, if you leave for a massage you DO NOT have the right to hold onto the chair if you are not lying in it. I can understand if you maybe just get up for 30 minutes to grab a bite, but beyond that... you have to search for a new seat.

There are thousands of passengers on a ship and all deserve the chance to get a chair. If you are in the chair or pool, great. If you leave, you give your chair up to another patiently waiting cruiser.

Be fair to all.

Touching someone else's articles of clothing, keys, glasses whatever when they are not on their person is Not against any law ever. And if the first moved things person runs over and moves the second persons stuff under the 30-min. mark, the cruiseline has people who deal with that...Distroying someone's property when it's not attached to them is a different story, i.e. distruction of public or private property. Everyone knows the rules! On RCCL they reiterated them every day!....'ignorance' is never an excuse.

I disagree,, it could take 30 minutes to get lunch if i hit it whenever one else is going. Im not going to get lunch only to jam it down in 10 minutes so someone does not take the chair. i will relax for lunch and then go back

also if im not there when you decide to look for a chair doesnt mean my stuff has been on there since 6am and i have not been present.

.....just sayin.....................

It's black and white no matter how you try to rationalize it. Rules are rules and if you wanna eat that bad, that's what the servers are for that go around asking what drinks you want. If they can't do food at that time. Wait until the crowds are out then go. This trip is not all about you, no matter what you think. Everyone else goes by the same rules. I don't understand the kind of upbringing people get that makes them think they are so entitled.

So what im finding out here, if you leave your stuff on a chair and lets say you did it at 8am, you leave at 10 am to go get a massage you dont have a right to come back to the chair you were at for two hours already?

I think that is a valid assumption. Two hours away from your belongings when someone else wants to sit there means that your belongings should be moved to provide a space for someone who wants it.

My hubby has changed from loving to cruise to not so much because of the crowded deck space and chair hogs. We've reached a nice compromise by booking a verandah cabin with our own chairs and no rude, thoughtless people (except each other!). Won't work for everyone but does for us. We've been cruising since 1988 and have gone on 14 cruises so far.:)

My hubby has changed from loving to cruise to not so much because of the crowded deck space and chair hogs. We've reached a nice compromise by booking a verandah cabin with our own chairs and no rude, thoughtless people (except each other!). Won't work for everyone but does for us. We've been cruising since 1988 and have gone on 14 cruises so far.:)

That is one option. Another is what we have done. We've gone over to small ship cruising.

I think the big issue here is how do you know how long the person has been gone for and what constitutes a "chair hog". DH and I usually travel alone but have been on cruises with our kids too. If I come to the pool with my daughter and son and we take three chairs, then my son goes to swim in the pool (probably longer than 30 minutes) then the chair that his towel is on, is that chair being "hogged"? Or if we go to get something to eat and my teen daughter stays back to watch the stuff, and the line at the food area is especially long that day and we get back 31 minutes later, does someone have the right to just intimidate my child and remove the stuff from the other two chairs?

I always thought that "chair hoggers" were large groups of people (as there are many groups that travel together on these boards), who assign one or two people in their group to go down to the poolside early in the morning and "reserve" chairs with their own towels and sometimes other personal items and wait for the rest of their group. Not couples on their honeymoon or something. Am I wrong?:confused:

NOW would probably be a good time to make your children aware of the rules and that they apply to them as well. If not, what do you think they are going to grow up to be?......you got it, a 'chair hog' because they were never taught better. I've actually never met a boy that would rather be laying in a chair then out being kenetic. You can make them aware of keeping time of how much they swim. If they are gonna be there for an hour or two simming that is precious time for other adults to use chairs they worked hard for the rest of the year for....Girls may be a different story...I'm just sayin :)

I guess Chair Hogs also are the ones that think that the ship should wait for them to return late on Port Days. Chair Hogs/Pier Runners may be of the same species.

I don't think so...I am not a chair hog and take my belongings with me anytime I am going to be more than 10-15 minutes, but I was a pier runner twice. I DID NOT expect the ship to wait for me, I just ran and hoped to make it before they left and if I didn't make it I wouldn't blame them...

Chair hogs INTENTIONALLY think the chairs belong to them for the day because they put a flip flop on it...pier runners are just people that cut it too close and are trying to make it back on time...I can't imagine that anyone does this intentionally.

I don't think Declansdad is off base here. I think I saw the restaurant version of chairhog played on my last cruise. At lunch in the buffet, after walking around with our trays and finally finding a table to sit at, we noticed a lovely table alongside the window with a sweatshirt on the chairback and a book and glass of some drink on the table. Nobody showed up to sit at the table for our entire lunch. I'm guessing someone may have decided that it was a great place to save a seat for whenever they might want to come in during the day to grab a bite to eat and savor the lovely ocean view. Meanwhile people were walking around looking for tables the whole time. Might that be a restaurant chairhog?

Maybe they were in line for the Mongolian Wok...that can take all day!:eek:

I would like the cruise lines to take responsibility of this. I believe that they are more concerned about upsetting the chair hogs than accommodating the rest of us. During my first seven cruises (on various cruise lines), much of my pool time was ruined by not finding available seating in the pool areas. On my last cruise, my boyfriend brought me over to the dark side. He insisted that we claim our chairs before breakfast and use them off and on (mostly on) throughout the day. Besides the guilt, I enjoyed my cruise much more. The cruise line that comes up with a solution to this problem will get my money in the future.

OP, I think you have every right in the world to expect your things to still be there IF the chair you are saving is on your balcony in your own private room.

If you think you have a right to save a chair for 2 hours in a public area, where it's posted no saving chairs for over 30 minutes.

Well, I guess I don't understand your reasoning, if you left your things in a popular restaurant with intent of coming back hours later, they would move your things to lost and found.

It's called living within society rules.

Carole

There is this problem in the buffet area too?

It happens on occasion...the only time I find it horrible is embarkation day...everyone is getting on the ship to have lunch and they go to the buffet. Rooms aren't available until 1:30 so people sit in the seats it in the buffet with their bags and things and sit there until 1:30...so finding seats that day is hard...most other days you can usually find something, especially if you are a small party and there are only 2 people sitting at a 6 top, most people will be more than happy to let you sit with them...

I would like the cruise lines to take responsibility of this. I believe that they are more concerned about upsetting the chair hogs than accommodating the rest of us. During my first seven cruises (on various cruise lines), much of my pool time was ruined by not finding available seating in the pool areas. On my last cruise, my boyfriend brought me over to the dark side. He insisted that we claim our chairs before breakfast and use them off and on (mostly on) throughout the day. Besides the guilt, I enjoyed my cruise much more. The cruise line that comes up with a solution to this problem will get my money in the future.

I guess it's already been shown that we can't expect grown adults to take responsibility for this;).

Celebrity enforced this rule last time I sailed with them. Some say RCCL does but I have never seen it on any of our cruises with them, others have said they have seen CCL do it, but it is on occasion, which doesn't stop anything.

Here is how we can fix this problem...

Pool attendant could have a handheld machine that printed out a sticker with a time stamped on it...if you see a chair with a ticket and you look up at the clock and it has been longer than 30 minutes take the ticket and the stuff to the Chair Hog station and sit...it is now your chair. Chair hog come back, they can see on the ticket that they were longer than 30 minutes and here is your stuff. Thanks have a nice day!

First off let me say that i agree with everything that has been said up to this point, more or less. The problem i have with it, is how do YOU know how long someone's belongings have been in a chair. If i put my stuff down and go for a swim or sit in the hot tub for 20 minutes does that give you the right to move my property? I can easily see someone coming up to the Lido deck, assuming my stuff has been there since 6 am, and moving it. How long do we get a chair? If you do something with my beach towel do i have to end up paying for that? Or will you, the person that moved my things to who knows where chip in for the $20? These are the things i think about when i put my things in a chair and go to the pool for... probably less than 15 minutes.

how do YOU know how long someone's belongings have been in a chair. If i put my stuff down and go for a swim or sit in the hot tub for 20 minutes does that give you the right to move my property?

I ask the people sitting nearby. If they tell me they've been there for hours and haven't seen anything but a towel and a flipflop on that chair, it's mine!

I feel like the people beating the less-than-30-minute dead horse are being deliberately obtuse. If all your crap (and not just a towel or a flipflop) is on a chair, I will assume you are nearby and coming back. :rolleyes: If you are worried, make a sign that says "I'm in the pool/bathroom/buffet line; be right back". Or get a chair you can see from the hot tub/pool. That's what I do, to ensure nobody steals my stuff.

I ask the people sitting nearby. If they tell me they've been there for hours and haven't seen anything but a towel and a flipflop on that chair, it's mine!

I feel like the people beating the less-than-30-minute dead horse are being deliberately obtuse. If all your crap (and not just a towel or a flipflop) is on a chair, I will assume you are nearby and coming back. :rolleyes: If you are worried, make a sign that says "I'm in the pool/bathroom/buffet line; be right back". Or get a chair you can see from the hot tub/pool. That's what I do, to ensure nobody steals my stuff.

I don't think it is being obtuse, when you have had people comment in this stream that they don't care whats there, or if you are in the pool or not.

Your comment is one of the more reasonable ones.

Pool attendant could have a handheld machine that printed out a sticker with a time stamped on it...if you see a chair with a ticket and you look up at the clock and it has been longer than 30 minutes take the ticket and the stuff to the Chair Hog station and sit...it is now your chair. Chair hog come back, they can see on the ticket that they were longer than 30 minutes and here is your stuff. Thanks have a nice day!

That's a great idea!

Archived