Candy for Cabin Stewards?

Seavoyage

I think there must be a big understanding on this thread. I can't imagine anyone is thinking of tipping only with candy or treats. I'm sure they are planning on tipping with money as well. The candy would just be a special little show of appreciation.

I think the problem is if you tell some people the sky is blue they'll say "not at night"

You people are killing me. Who said the candy and treats are the tips? At the holidays do you only give out cash? For birthdays, do you only give out cash? NO NO NO and NO.

Come on guys, read the posts. People are talking about gifts, treats to enrich the day. No one is talking about MandMs instead of cash. No is talking chips instead of cash.

It's fine to give trinkets out, remembering their very small rooms. I gave out wings from my airline, as we give to kids, little plastic wings with a pin on the back. Made their day, eyes wide and glowing and they showed them to each other, even tho they each got the same one!

If you want to bring small amounts of candy or a toothbrush or chips, do so. Remember, it's the thought that counts. You'll stand out. If they don't want it, they'll share it with someone who does! If you want to wrap it in money, great. If you want to add cash up front, terrific. Just don't skip out on their tip at the end!

And shame you guys for discouraging GIFTS! Money is not a gift to them, it's a tip.

While visiting Rostock, we found a wonderful chocolate store in the main square. DH is a chocolate fan, and so we bought quite a variety of treats for the ship. He suggested that we pick out some special ones for our room stewards. That we did, and upon returning to the Rotterdam, we offered these to our stewards upon our first opportunity. They were both very pleased, and were quite surprised that we had thought of them. The OP did not suggest that the usual tips would not be included, but I am sure that, as we do, these folks become members of our cruise family, and treats are part of our way of showing some"love" in our home,

Marilyn

I guess I don't "get it" why people have snacks in their room on a ship. We find we get enough to eat during the day without having to snack on anything extra, except the bottled water.

I would always mention them on a comment card. I think that trumps M&Ms.

Unless, of course, one is a diabetic and needs snacks.

I guess I don't understand any of this. Would any of you accept and eat candy or other food products from a stranger? Then why do you think a crew member would? Chances are they say thank you as they are trained to do and then toss the candy in the nearest trash can.

I find it interesting that every week we have sincere, important questions about how HAL handles food allergies and how the stewards need to be more trained as to ingredients and become expert at sugar free, fat free, lactose free, meat free, egg free etc etc etc diets yet on the other hand, we are freely encouraging handing out food to stewards.

Why are their potential allergies, diets and dietary needs not being considered. How do we know who is allergic to peanuts, is diabetic, can't have milk products, or perhaps is fasting all day though working hard because it is fast phase in their religion..... Ramadan for example?

It seems an awful double standard to me.

JMO

On many occasions, we have made gift bags from Bath & Body Works (loofahs, showel gel, lotion, lip balm, etc) and included mints and gum and handed them to staff who made our cruise special. For the record, this is not a tip as some on this thread are so obstinate to believe. These gift bags have always been extremely well received, and on more than a few occasions, staff have sought us out to thank us for them. Staff are responsible for their own toiletries so this is a nice treat for them in lieu of the diabetes, tooth decay, and allergens and processed ingredients contained in (gasp) candied items .... :rolleyes:

Many of us only use unscented products.

Most of the stewards do not use scented products as it could offend guests. They have to be working around guests with allergies and cannot be using perfumed items that could cause discomfort and allergic reactions.

If a stranger handed me personal grooming items, I might be offended they think I need to 'clean up better' but that is just my own personal viewpoint.

Honestly ... I get that some of you think that cash, and only cash, is king. That's your opinion and your right to think that. But, no one should be made to feel bad or derided because they've chosen to give a small gift in addition to said cash.

OP, if you want to give a gift a gift, give a gift, give it with a smile, and don't let anyone here bully you out of it. We have always received warm smiles and on occasion thank yous after the fact when they've managed to find us on Face Book.

Of course, you should give whatever you please and it is no one's business but your's.

I felt the desire to make some comments as things for people to think about.

Certainly ignore anything that anyone chooses.

I personally try to think about these sort of issues but by no means wish that anyone do or not do whatever they choose.

The OP asked a fairly simple question, and as per usual the replies have become almost laughable. If offering candy, chocolate to a friend, whether they be a room steward, or a family friend is a gesture of gratitude, or appreciation, why is this such an offensive action, I am puzzled,

Marilyn

In addition to generous tips, I always bring my own stationery and write a personal note to crewmembers who have served us well--I mention specific things they have done to make our cruise memorable. I understand that these are shown to their superiors, and are helpful when they are being considered for promotions.

One of the best notes was written to the doctor and nurse at the infirmary, where they took great care of me (including many IVs) during a lovely bout with Norovirus ;-). Since these crewmembers are not normally 'tipped' they were extremely appreciative.

The OP asked a fairly simple question, and as per usual the replies have become almost laughable. If offering candy, chocolate to a friend, whether they be a room steward, or a family friend is a gesture of gratitude, or appreciation, why is this such an offensive action, I am puzzled,

Marilyn

Maybe because the room steward is not a friend? He/she is someone you likely never met before and will likely never meet again, who is assigned to keep your room clean and tidy for the period you are onboard.

A friend is someone you know really well, know their likes and dislikes. I doubt you would give a diabetic friend regular chocolate or someone with prefume allergy, smelly body wash? Since you don't know the person who will your room steward than how can you possibly give them a gift? You have no idea what they like, what their cultural/religious beliefs are that could impact a gift selection or if they have allergies or a medical condition.

Give them extra money and let them choose what they want to do with it.

We are fortunate enough to have an Indonesian grocery store near us (food imported from Jakarta) and friends who grew up there to guide us in what to buy--the most popular of the TV snack-type things; the items not served in the Indonesian mess hall. We always take as many individual bags of Indonesian snacks as we can get into the luggage (more when we leave from near home, whatever we can manage when we must fly) and distribute "goodies from home" to the Indonesian crew once we're aboard. And of course we leave auto tips in place and tip generously on top of that. This is just a little extra in honor of the crew. In addition to the crew that is specifically making our cruise so special, i make sure to "walk the ship" with a bag or two every couple of days to randomly give to that person scrubbing the elevator floor or cleaning the public restroom so that they know we value and appreciate their help as well. We know from the comments that everything is shared; no one keeps the bag for him/herself.

We got the idea when a steward told us he'd spent his couple of hours off walking quite a ways to an Indonesian grocery in a port and that what he brought back was gone already; everything is shared with everyone. And I thought to myself, we can help with that!

I know we're not doing as well for the Filipino crew but I don't have resources into that community where I live. Hopefully, someone else does and offers something similar.

What a great idea...and so thoughtful of you, too. I'll have to check and see if we have an Indonesian or Filipino store near us in the Boston area...our next cruise is out of NYC so it would be easy to pack some treats!

What a great idea...and so thoughtful of you, too. I'll have to check and see if we have an Indonesian or Filipino store near us in the Boston area...our next cruise is out of NYC so it would be easy to pack some treats!

Not really a good idea.

Maybe because the room steward is not a friend? He/she is someone you likely never met before and will likely never meet again, who is assigned to keep your room clean and tidy for the period you are onboard.

A friend is someone you know really well, know their likes and dislikes. I doubt you would give a diabetic friend regular chocolate or someone with prefume allergy, smelly body wash? Since you don't know the person who will your room steward than how can you possibly give them a gift? You have no idea what they like, what their cultural/religious beliefs are that could impact a gift selection or if they have allergies or a medical condition.

Give them extra money and let them choose what they want to do with it.

Wow, you're doing it wrong. You don't have to limit gifts only to people you know. I was brought up much differently than you! :D I'd like to be your friend, but would hate to be someone else. :mad:

Listen, no one is going to change anyone's minds. It's interesting to see how we all do things differently. But I don't think lecturing OPs about what a gift is or how to treat room stewards is going to get anyone anything but entertainment value.

If some of us want to give gifts ON TOP OR OUR TIPS, then so be it, let us. After all, we are doing so to stand out and above the rest of you who don't. So, please, if you don't want to give gifts, DON'T! :)

Wow, you're doing it wrong. You don't have to limit gifts only to people you know. I was brought up much differently than you! :D I'd like to be your friend, but would hate to be someone else. :mad:

Listen, no one is going to change anyone's minds. It's interesting to see how we all do things differently. But I don't think lecturing OPs about what a gift is or how to treat room stewards is going to get anyone anything but entertainment value.

If some of us want to give gifts ON TOP OR OUR TIPS, then so be it, let us. After all, we are doing so to stand out and above the rest of you who don't. So, please, if you don't want to give gifts, DON'T! :)

A person after my own heart! My Philipina niece very much enjoys candy of any kind, and as with anything else, if one doesn't happen to enjoy a gift, a regift is not necessarily a bad thing, either

Hi Innlady

If you find one please let me know.

thanks Mary

Mary' date=' there are some in Lowell and KamMan in Quincy has Asian food...but an on-line site I googled has lots of Indonesian food...http://www.indonesianfoodmart.com. On the left, are a row of links, and I clicked on "snacks". [/size']

A person after my own heart! My Philipina niece very much enjoys candy of any kind, and as with anything else, if one doesn't happen to enjoy a gift, a regift is not necessarily a bad thing, either

Gifts are wonderful, but I would not accept let alone eat anything given to me by a random stranger (which is what you are to your room steward). Perhaps you are okay with that, but there are far too many crazies in the world to be that trusting.

As far as your niece is concerned, not a good example. I assume you know each other and know what her likes/dislikes are and if she has allergies. Something you don't know about your room steward.

Gifts are wonderful, but I would not accept let alone eat anything given to me by a random stranger (which is what you are to your room steward). Perhaps you are okay with that, but there are far too many crazies in the world to be that trusting.

As far as your niece is concerned, not a good example. I assume you know each other and know what her likes/dislikes are and if she has allergies. Something you don't know about your room steward.

Let it go!!!!!

I found the things that my room stewards want most are the things I was planning on leaving behind or throwing out. I always bring a new pillow onboard ( hate HAL pillows) I never plan to bring it home. Before throwing it out I asked and I thought they were going to argue over who got it.

I also buy a new over the door shoe hanger with each cruise. I leave those behind and everyone wants that also. They have so little room in their cabins it is a great help to them.

However, when we buy snacks for ourselves ( and the reason we buy snacks, Esther, is some things the ship doesn't carry like Fritos, or my own can of the good nuts) we also buy extra for our room stewards and they are very happy to take, eat and share them.

I found the things that my room stewards want most are the things I was planning on leaving behind or throwing out. I always bring a new pillow onboard ( hate HAL pillows) I never plan to bring it home. Before throwing it out I asked and I thought they were going to argue over who got it.

I also buy a new over the door shoe hanger with each cruise. I leave those behind and everyone wants that also. They have so little room in their cabins it is a great help to them.

However, when we buy snacks for ourselves ( and the reason we buy snacks, Esther, is some things the ship doesn't carry like Fritos, or my own can of the good nuts) we also buy extra for our room stewards and they are very happy to take, eat and share them.

One cruise on the Noordam, the door to the battery compartment broke...we were in St. Thomas, so I bought a new Canon Elph Powershot. I asked our room steward if he'd like my "old" one: He was elated. The door could be held together with duct tape...I gave him a camera card and the rechargable battery, and you'd think I gave him a million $$$.

Archived