Candy for Cabin Stewards?

Seavoyage

We will be on the Eurodam early in the summer; do the staff really care what currency we tip them in, considering they'll be in Europe all summer? Do we just assume the dollar is "almighty" because we are Americans? Why would the dollar be better than any other currency for an international crew?

They care if they have to pay conversion fee to U.S. $$$ or their home currency. HAL operates on board the ships in U.S. $$. (Maybe there's an exception for ships continuously sailing Australia for months?)

In Europe, HAL ships still operate on U.S. $.

The stewards do not spend very much on themselves so fistfuls of Euros aren't all that useful to them. They buy personal grooming items, laundry soaps, snacks and sometimes in the Caribbean they buy electronics. Of course, they will happily accept Euro but I don't think it is their first choice.

The HAL stewards are amazing and I always tip extra. I know that they love treats that they won't spend their hard-earned money on so I spoil them on arrival at the ship. I usually arrive with a bag of pringle chips, chocolate covered almonds, and M&Ms. I've been told they are favourites among the room stewards. Before my last cruise, Walgreens had a sale on pringles and I ended up getting six of them in various flavours. One of the guys almost jumped for joy when he saw them. It's just a little treat on top of the daily hotel charge and cash to let them know how much they are appreciated.

I like this idea.....especially when we drive to the ship.

WE KNOW THEY WANT CASH!!! But - other goodies are appreciated also.

Can't we just discuss some of those other options. :rolleyes:

Donna

Hi All -

Does anyone ever bring candy or a treat for the cabin stewards? Is that allowed? If so then what would you suggest?

Thank you!!

I second those who discourage this as well. Cash for themselves and their families works far better than some empty calories, delicious as they may be. This however does raise a good question. Do we know what kind of dental coverage staff gets?

HAL used to have a dentist on board for crew but they no longer do.

I recall a crew friend of ours had a dental problem and they arranged an appointment and transportation for them to be treated in the next port. I could not say for sure who paid as I simply do not know but I suspect HAL made payment.

I don't understand why people feel they need to tip in candy, phone cards, or trucker hats. Do you tip with these things in your hometown restaurant? Just give cash, always the perfect gift.

Well said!

They collect all the "other stuff" and give it away on land according to what a steward told us...dollars or euros beat candy or trinkets always.:;)

Donna

Evidently not.

I 'get' it, others 'get' it, but some aren't listening. This is not about candy INSTEAD of tips. While I wouldn't do it myself....in addition to cash (yes, yes, in ADDITION to cash....one more time, "IN ADDITION TO CASH") a little treat might be nice. So they can save all the CASH to send home! Maybe include a toothbrush and some floss if we're seriously insinuating they can't be trusted to take care of their own teeth. :rolleyes:

It wasn't until I read the anti-candy tip comments that I even considered leaving any tip other than cash.

Because we had a long cruise planned, I'd packed some small bagged candy for a quick tour snack. As I popped some into my travel bag, I remembered the pillow candy from the night before and thought, why not? I left some pillow candy (bagged M&Ms) on the unmade pillow.

Ditto for the holiday candy dish; our attendants wouldn't take the candy from the dish, but the pillow candy never make its way back to the candy dish!

Room service waiter accepted the cash yet the biggest smile accompanied the word "CANDY".

We also asked our stewardess, after a long cruise, about clothes we were not taking home with us as we'd planned to trash them. She mentioned she had room in her suitcase and would welcome the opportunity to take the clothes back to her country for donations.

Cash may be best but I've experienced both reactions.

Evidently not.

I 'get' it, others 'get' it, but some aren't listening. This is not about candy INSTEAD of tips. While I wouldn't do it myself....in addition to cash (yes, yes, in ADDITION to cash....one more time, "IN ADDITION TO CASH") a little treat might be nice. So they can save all the CASH to send home! Maybe include a toothbrush and some floss if we're seriously insinuating they can't be trusted to take care of their own teeth. :rolleyes:

:):):) Good!

In addition to CASH...we have on occasion...sent toys, books etc. to a bar waiter's little girl in Indonesia...the postage is a killer but she loved the Little Dora stuff:D

I second those who discourage this as well. Cash for themselves and their families works far better than some empty calories, delicious as they may be. This however does raise a good question. Do we know what kind of dental coverage staff gets?

Oh my goodness - really? The thought behind the candy is simply meant to be a treat for the stewards when they are in the room - not as or in replacement of a tip nor is it meant to be a food source. What is going on in peoples minds - honestly who would just tip with candy? Seriously well traveled people can you please get a grip???

Respectfully submitted....

A little bit OT: whatever happened to those folks who used to collect animal slippers to bring to that orphanage in (I believe) Roatan?
I believe Jim and Ruth haven't been cruising quite as much the last year or so. They've had some health issues, and have been busy restoring Corvettes. Jim is certainly remembered far and wide for his Pepe Le Pew (and other character) slippers.

Oh my goodness - really? The thought behind the candy is simply meant to be a treat for the stewards when they are in the room - not as or in replacement of a tip nor is it meant to be a food source. What is going on in peoples minds - honestly who would just tip with candy? Seriously well traveled people can you please get a grip???

Respectfully submitted....

Maybe that is the problem ...some of us are "well-travelled". Empty calories is really one of our worst US exports. Think Coca Cola. Many "sweets" found in other countries also have a good deal of nutrition in them as well - sweet bean paste in Japan, candied sweet potatoes in Mexico, flan throughout europe, fruit puddings in the UK ....maybe we should hope they share their "treats" with us?

I am not a blue-nose about sweets and enjoy them myself ..... in moderation. But as a gratuity, I sure hope all the sudden 2000 passengers don't start dumping junk food as their cultural flotsam and jetsam. :p One time "we" also gave out packs of cigarettes as gratuities too. Same thing. Would you still do this ...... and sometimes we should, because a pack of Marlboro's opens more doors than money in some parts of the world.

We do the automated tipping through HAL, but also bring along packs of gum and mints. When we leave our room for the day,we usually leave a little note for our room stewards letting them know that the treat is for them. We usually wrap the treat up in a couple of $1.00 bills. We always have positive responses. We do this 4-5 times on a 7 day cruise.

Who on earth would even think about doing that? It's laughable to think people would tip in candy or junk food....really - really???

Yikes - I cannot imagine giving cigarettes/cancer to someone as a tip - WOW - pretty astonishing!! :eek:

As far as empty calories go - in my years of cruising, I have never seen a cabin steward with a weight problem!! So with that, in addition to giving cash gratuities - I also plan on having Hershey Kisses, M&M's and Pringles available - for our very appreciated cabin stewards.:D

Thanks to those that offered thoughtful advice as it is sincerely appreciated.

Sevoyage out.....:rolleyes:

The people who work on cruise lines are not doing it for candy.

It is hard work, with long hours and working conditions that would not be tolerated in any jurisdiction in North America or Western Europe. They are paid a pittance by our standards and they depend on tips-not candy.

They do the job to support their families. Period. Cash is KING-any recognized and easily converted currency. And if we use USD, we increase the amount because the USD is very much weakened against their home currencies, ie they need more US cash just to provide their families with the same amount of local currency.

Would you tip the waiter at your favorite restaurant with some cash and a bag of M&M's.? I doubt it.

Donna

But why would you want to give your cabin steward Only a bunch of candy?

Kidding! Kidding.:D

Jhannah- again OT, I seem to remember there was a place where we could find a place that might need donations. Any thoughts on where I might find that? If its a sticky, can we just all go back to talking about M&M's? :D:

The people who work on cruise lines are not doing it for candy.

It is hard work, with long hours and working conditions that would not be tolerated in any jurisdiction in North America or Western Europe. They are paid a pittance by our standards and they depend on tips-not candy.

They do the job to support their families. Period. Cash is KING-any recognized and easily converted currency. And if we use USD, we increase the amount because the USD is very much weakened against their home currencies, ie they need more US cash just to provide their families with the same amount of local currency.

Would you tip the waiter at your favorite restaurant with some cash and a bag of M&M's.? I doubt it.

I would NEVER consider leaving treats instead of tips. I leave the auto-tip in and then also leave cash as the service is always great. The treats are just that: treats. The crew save every penny they make to take back home to their families and would probably never spend their hard-earned money on something like candy. I got the idea of chips and candy when I would share my snacks with the room stewards and saw how much they enjoyed them. All I know is that when I offer the bag of treats to the room stewards, their eyes light up and during the cruise, they make sure to let me know how much they are enjoying them.

Because that is the currency in which they are paid. They will not turn down any common currency you give them, though. They appreciate anything.

They care if they have to pay conversion fee to U.S. $$$ or their home currency. HAL operates on board the ships in U.S. $$. (Maybe there's an exception for ships continuously sailing Australia for months?)

In Europe, HAL ships still operate on U.S. $.

The stewards do not spend very much on themselves so fistfuls of Euros aren't all that useful to them. They buy personal grooming items, laundry soaps, snacks and sometimes in the Caribbean they buy electronics. Of course, they will happily accept Euro but I don't think it is their first choice.

Thanks to you both!

Like someone else said.... OTHERS DON"T!

WE do the normal tips and LEAVE EXTRA

and......WE still give candy. The CREW

like it! Do you see them going to Wal-Mart

to buy treats and other stuff for themselves?

They can't get off in port everytime.

They like to have something in their rooms like

everyone else to munch on. They can't take

the cookies, ect. to their rooms like you all do.

We been thanked very much,,you can tell they

really like it. Over 30 cruises..done it and will still

keep doing it.

We don't particularly want to give our stewards anything but cash and written complements to their management.

We do not expect to become friends with our cabin stewards. They are employees of the cruise line and are doing a great job. We are only on board for a short time. They have to be friendly to everyone but we do not misinterpret this as a 'friends for life' situation. Frankly, the stewards do not even have to like us, we just ask that they do a good job. I think that some people mistake their kindnesses for acts of friendship. So, we do not bother with candy, hats, tshirts, gifts from home, phone cards, etc.

We are fortunate enough to have an Indonesian grocery store near us (food imported from Jakarta) and friends who grew up there to guide us in what to buy--the most popular of the TV snack-type things; the items not served in the Indonesian mess hall. We always take as many individual bags of Indonesian snacks as we can get into the luggage (more when we leave from near home, whatever we can manage when we must fly) and distribute "goodies from home" to the Indonesian crew once we're aboard. And of course we leave auto tips in place and tip generously on top of that. This is just a little extra in honor of the crew. In addition to the crew that is specifically making our cruise so special, i make sure to "walk the ship" with a bag or two every couple of days to randomly give to that person scrubbing the elevator floor or cleaning the public restroom so that they know we value and appreciate their help as well. We know from the comments that everything is shared; no one keeps the bag for him/herself.

We got the idea when a steward told us he'd spent his couple of hours off walking quite a ways to an Indonesian grocery in a port and that what he brought back was gone already; everything is shared with everyone. And I thought to myself, we can help with that!

I know we're not doing as well for the Filipino crew but I don't have resources into that community where I live. Hopefully, someone else does and offers something similar.

I think there must be a big understanding on this thread. I can't imagine anyone is thinking of tipping only with candy or treats. I'm sure they are planning on tipping with money as well. The candy would just be a special little show of appreciation.

Archived