HAL online check-in?

jennjess

A question for experienced HAL cruisers.

We are new to HAL and have booked a 17 night cruise in May through a TA which we have already paid in full.

We have to still check in online with HAL and remember reading here somewhere, that once HAL has your CC details they block an amount on it for daily cruise expenditure. Is this correct and how much is it per day?

A question for experienced HAL cruisers.

We are new to HAL and have booked a 17 night cruise in May through a TA which we have already paid in full.

We have to still check in online with HAL and remember reading here somewhere, that once HAL has your CC details they block an amount on it for daily cruise expenditure. Is this correct and how much is it per day?

Then don't block it until you board. It't $60/PP/day (I think)

Then don't block it until you board. It't $60/PP/day (I think)

That's correct, however with most people booking the Pinnacle, wine packages, spa treatments and shorex, drink cards etc, etc, etc well in advance and pre-paying, for me it would be tough to spend $120.00 per day onboard for my wife and I!:eek:

That's correct, however with most people booking the Pinnacle, wine packages, spa treatments and shorex, drink cards etc, etc, etc well in advance and pre-paying, for me it would be tough to spend $120.00 per day onboard for my wife and I!:eek:
It's only a hold, it's not a charge just like when you rent a car. Only a problem if you have a very low credit line or your card is maxed out.

Thanks for your replies.

It does seem quite a high amount especially if you have already pre booked excursions etc. ahead.

When do they put it on hold? As soon as you complete the online check in process?

I'm a little confused. Do you mean that if you haven't booked anything ahead of time, i.e. excursions, optional dining, spa treatments, that you can only spend $60/pp pd? I've never heard of cruise lines putting a limit on what you can spend each day. What if someone decides to surprise you with nice piece of jewelry from the gift shop? Certainly that would be more than $60. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

I've never heard of cruise lines putting a limit on what you can spend each day. What if someone decides to surprise you with nice piece of jewelry from the gift shop? Certainly that would be more than $60.
I'm sure that's not the case' date=' and they will take your purchase. I've never made a large purchase or even exceeded $120 /day, but my guess is that may charge your card immediately, like they do with Future Cruise Deposits, rather than put it on your on-board account.

[/size']

I'm a little confused. Do you mean that if you haven't booked anything ahead of time' date=' i.e. excursions, optional dining, spa treatments, that you can only spend $60/pp pd? I've never heard of cruise lines putting a limit on what you can spend each day. What if someone decides to surprise you with nice piece of jewelry from the gift shop? Certainly that would be more than $60. Maybe I'm just not getting it.[/quote']

You can spend as much as you want, up to the limit on your credit card, the limit given by your credit card company.

The hold that HAL puts on our credit card is simply to make sure there's enough credit on the card for them to get their money at the end of the cruise.

I suspect that if you go over the hold put on your credit card Hal, they will talking to you before they agree to accept the charge.

I usually have onboard charges higher than the $60 p/d hold and have never been contacted by HAL or the front desk. Perhaps they increase the hold once I reach the max but I don't check my account daily and I have high credit limits so it won't be an issue for me. And since we are often out at sea I don't know if they would put credit card transactions through daily using slow, expensive satellite connections.

It's no different from the hold placed by hotels, rental car companies and the like. The only difference is that it's usually for a longer period of time, sao it's more noticeable.

I have never noticed a hold :)

For the OP: the hold is lifted the day the cruise ends. How long it takes your financial institution to remove it is another story. Also, debit card holds apparently stay on longer than credit card holds.

Then you got to wonder why they bother to put the hold on. If you go over, it's a case so what. I thought whole purpose was to insure they would get their money, if you are going over and cannot pay what then?? I carry large credit too just to be on the safe side too. I am not understanding the reasoning now.

This is just like when you check into a hotel and they want a credit card for "incidental" charges. I know that some places they will put an amount on "hold" just in case. Same as car rentals. They do this all the time. Put a hold on your CC for $200 or more "Just in case".

We have never had anyone say anything to us one way or another about the hold charges...when we went above it or below it.

As someone said, only if you are already close to your balance will it be an issue.

Archived