Princess - New Movies, please

sable1

Hoping someone at Princess will read this plea for them to upgrade the movies that are shown on the ships.

Last year on the SEA, the movies were mostly older with many repetitions.

It would be very nice to see the new Oscar nominated/winning movies.

I know, some will think we are crazy to be watching movies on a cruise, but it's nice to enjoy them in the evening when the shows are repeats or in the afternoon before a nap.

Princess, we will be on the Star and Sea in March & April, hint hint.

Appreciate anything you can do to help us "Escape Completely".

Joanne & John

It's not that simple. First, the movies have to be available for license at a reasonable rate, then they have to make a deal for them, then they have to be encoded for the ships systems and delivered to the ships, not always easy if a ship is not porting in the US or Europe. There are also issues with movies being regionally available and where the ship is sailing. For example if 'The Help' is not available in South Amer yet, the ship cannot show it on a SA cruise.

These arrangements are mostly handled through licensing firms that sell packages, which is why you see the same movies on airplanes, cruise ships, etc at the same time.

Also most are licensed for a period of one month, remember cruisers who cruise more often than once every two months are a very rare breed.

Last November, on the Island, I saw The Help and I thought that was pretty current. I don't get to movies very often, so I can usually catch up on a few movies on the ship. I have more issues with not enough movies on MUTS. Too many concerts and sports events for my taste, but that's just me. Sure, it would be nice to have all the current movies, but I don't think that's possible.

In an email from Princess received before the Academy Awards for our cruise on the Sapphire Princess this Saturday...

The Descendants: Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley. Directed by Alexander Payne. Rated R, 115 Minutes.

The Artist: Starring Jean Dujardin, Brnice Bejo. Directed by Michel Hazanavicius. Rated PG-13, 100 Minutes.

In an email from Princess received before the Academy Awards for our cruise on the Sapphire Princess this Saturday...

The Descendants: Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley. Directed by Alexander Payne. Rated R, 115 Minutes.

The Artist: Starring Jean Dujardin, Brnice Bejo. Directed by Michel Hazanavicius. Rated PG-13, 100 Minutes.

Lucky Ducky!!! ;):D

My Wife and i did a 36 day cruise with RCI cruises they showed black and white movies from Hear to eternity Elvis movies plus a great cruise movie called African Queen the CD said he had a war movie saying he could not show as did not want to upset Americans as he didnt no who won. called Gone With The Wind. I agree with other post its great now and again to relax and watch a movie have a g/day Aussie

I have always found the in room movies on Princess are fairly current. I travel on Princess alot and It is nice to just relax once in awhile and watch a new movie in the cabin. Some nights, nothing really appeals to us, so We take a break. However, We went on the "Explorer of the Seas" out of NJ last month and the movies were terrible. It seems, all that was shown was "Singing in the Rain" with Gene Kelly and your old Turner Classic movies many black & white.The only new movies was the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Johnny Depp.The choice of in room movies was very, very limited & boring.

We saw The Artist just last month (it was hard to find even in LA) and felt it was excellent. I do want to see The Descendants.

I remember being surprised that Wallace and Gromit was being shown on our 2005 cruise as it had recently come out.

On that cruise and the one we took about 14 months ago, there were plenty of Hawaiian-based movies (both of those were the Hawaiian RTs) and holiday movies (again, both were during the holiday period). This last cruise there were the most movies being show on any of our cruises. Several channels were devoted to a variety of different topics (eg. on the art channel, there were shows about art and some movies about art heists). There were even a couple of movies I had never heard of (including one starring Catherine Zeta-Jones).

Most of the time I miss movies in the theater so I have to get caught up when they're on TV or out on DVD. And since I enjoy watching movies, I think there's nothing wrong to wanting to watch them on a cruise.

Oh, if there's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part II on your cruise, be sure to catch the last 20 minutes or so (even if you haven't seen any of the previous movies). Alan Rickman's last few scenes are incredible and he should had been nominated for Supporting Actor. He played a villainous character during the series, but in the theater at that point, there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

It is those old concerts that kill me, in a bad way. Tina Turner from 20 years ago???? Will we be stuck watching 15 year old Whitney Houston concerts (bless her soul) in the next 6 months too?? James Brown is a classic as well but perhaps they can find more modern artists to feature.

OMG, I am starting to sound old.

Andrew

It is those old concerts that kill me, in a bad way. Tina Turner from 20 years ago???? Will we be stuck watching 15 year old Whitney Houston concerts (bless her soul) in the next 6 months too?? James Brown is a classic as well but perhaps they can find more modern artists to feature.

Andrew

I'd almost guarantee it in the near future.

Those are usually sold as cheaper addins that you have to buy to get the good movies... You want the Help at a reasonable rate? I have these Sinatra concerts kicking around I need to make some money off of...

Andrew

It's not that simple. First, the movies have to be available for license at a reasonable rate, then they have to make a deal for them, then they have to be encoded for the ships systems and delivered to the ships, not always easy if a ship is not porting in the US or Europe. There are also issues with movies being regionally available and where the ship is sailing. For example if 'The Help' is not available in South Amer yet, the ship cannot show it on a SA cruise.

These arrangements are mostly handled through licensing firms that sell packages, which is why you see the same movies on airplanes, cruise ships, etc at the same time.

Also most are licensed for a period of one month, remember cruisers who cruise more often than once every two months are a very rare breed.

Thank you for the insights! You never know what you are going to learn on CC! David

I absolutely adored the ability to have some old classics and newer romantic flicks while onboard the Feb.12th sailing of Caribbean Princess. I "re" watched movies such as "An Affair to Remember", "You've Got mail", "It Could Happen To You" and "Pillow Talk". The premium movie channel was superb, though we watched them outside on MUTS: Tower Heist, Money Ball and a really great MCartney concert. Great job on the movies, especially for a romantic insomniac like me.

Got the same email for my Diamond Princess cruise in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to watching these.

Thank you for clarifying the movie policy for me. Love C..C. and the helpful pax. that give all their valuable information.

And after reading the responses, I'm hopeful there will be newer movies on our upcoming cruises.

Thanks All.

Currently on the Grand; just got done watching "Bridesmaids" in Princess Theatre this afternoon. Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides last night on MUTS, Moneyball on MUTs and stateroom tv, Dolphin Tale, Mr Poppers Penguins, tonight is THOR on MUTS, Others too. The suite dvd list needs updating, same as last year. Happy with movie selection on the Grand.

Archived