Juneau - Is this enough time in port?

blueslily

Hi all,

I am thinking about going on an Alaskan cruise. This will be my first time visiting Alaska, but not first time cruising.

I'm debating between HAL, Princess, and Celebrity based on the itineraries. I think I may go with Princess, but I would like your help with making that decision.

Princess offers itineraries that include both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier in the same sailing. HOWEVER, the downside (I think) is that the ship is in port at Juneau from 6:30am - 4pm. Is that enough time? Is Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier worth leaving Juneau at 4pm?

I could get more time in Juneau, but those itineraries usually only offer either Hubbard or Glacier Bay, not both in the same sailing.

Or, there is a Princess itinerary that includes Hubbard and College Fjord with a full day in Juneau. That's an option, but since this is my first and maybe only time in Alaska, I really wanted to have both Glacier Bay and Hubbard in my itinerary.

HELP!!

Hi all,

I am thinking about going on an Alaskan cruise. This will be my first time visiting Alaska, but not first time cruising.

I'm debating between HAL, Princess, and Celebrity based on the itineraries. I think I may go with Princess, but I would like your help with making that decision.

Princess offers itineraries that include both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier in the same sailing. HOWEVER, the downside (I think) is that the ship is in port at Juneau from 6:30am - 4pm. Is that enough time? Is Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier worth leaving Juneau at 4pm?

I could get more time in Juneau, but those itineraries usually only offer either Hubbard or Glacier Bay, not both in the same sailing.

Or, there is a Princess itinerary that includes Hubbard and College Fjord with a full day in Juneau. That's an option, but since this is my first and maybe only time in Alaska, I really wanted to have both Glacier Bay and Hubbard in my itinerary.

HELP!!

That is not enough time in Juneau especially since you get in at 6:30 AM and nothing is open then. However, I do Alaska for the scenery and I consider doing both Hubbard and Glacier Bay a fair trade for a short time in Juneau.

DON

Hi all,

HELP!!

1. You are right to want Glacier Bay! (So eliminate the offerings that do not include it.)

2. What do you have planned for Juneau? Dunno, not much, etc. Then 9 hours is plenty. (I only plan on going to Mendenhall Glacier & maybe up the Mt. Roberts tram myself...)

There is NO perfect cruise. Anything you pick is going to be a compromise.

I would FIRST look at with a one way, the ability to add extra days for interior Alaska touring. Will you be able to do this?? Taking a one way and leaving/arriving on embarkment/disembarkment day may not be worth, any added airfare expense??

Do you have PRIORITY Juneau activities in mind?? How often do you plan on going to Alaska? Only you can determine where/how you want to spend the limited 7 days on an Alaskan cruise.

There is NO perfect cruise. Anything you pick is going to be a compromise.

I would FIRST look at with a one way, the ability to add extra days for interior Alaska touring. Will you be able to do this?? Taking a one way and leaving/arriving on embarkment/disembarkment day may not be worth, any added airfare expense??

Do you have PRIORITY Juneau activities in mind?? How often do you plan on going to Alaska? Only you can determine where/how you want to spend the limited 7 days on an Alaskan cruise.

I am doing a one-way. I"m not sailing out of Seattle, WA. I am adding extrea days for Seattle because I have never been and I'll be flying there. on the front end of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

HELP!!

Hi Blueslily! We came very close to booking our Alaska trip with Princess and at the last minute a friend of ours told us about Costco's Alaska trip, which they took 2 years earlier. Since we're members,we checked it out and booked with them on Celebrity Millennium. More time in Juneau from 7:00AM to 8:30PM, but the sacrafice is only goes to Hubbard Glacier. However, the thing that changed our thinking, Costco gave us many upgrades worth over $1,000.00, upgraded Balcony cabin on the concierge class. Just a thought. Good luck

Gene & Rita

I think you have to plan your cruise within the entire context of what you will see. The amount of time you spend in any one place is relative to what you hope to see and do there. If you wanted to hike the entire Mendenhall trails, dog sled, whale watch, and shop, well then maybe it's not enough time. If you don't have any specific plans in Juneau, what difference will it make how much time you spend there? When we visited, I had planned several wonderful excursions for us like dog sledding on the glacier and it left no time to really wander Juneau but we were thrilled with our time in Juneau and our time there will always be a special memory for us.

We are also in Juneau from 6:30 am - 4 pm.

Here's my plan (so far)

7:30 am pickup from Harv and Marv - whale watching cruise

Harv and Marv will drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier about 11:20 am

explore Mendenhall Glacier for a few hours, more or less

get shuttle back to pier - hopefully have time to go up the tram and maybe walk around a little - walk back to ship by about 3 pm

It works for us - at least on paper! Just have to figure out how to get lunch.

I agree with the person who said you have to compromise on a cruise - you can't see everything. This is one of my biggest complaints about cruises - not enough time to really see the ports.

Archived