Les Baux, Arles, or Avignon

nationaltreasure79

We are going to be in Marseilles and plan to rent a car from 8:00 am until 3:00. The cruise ship leaves at 4:00. We do not have time to see all three places. Which two towns would you choose? We enjoy scenic views. Also since their is a roman arena and Van Gogh painted in Arles we are leaning toward Arles and Les Baux. We will have spent almost an entire day at at the Vatican while in Rome. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There's no way you could comfortably see all three places in the time you have. If doing two out of three, the options are Arles and Les Baux or Avignon and Les Baux.

Although Les Baux is just a village, there's enough there to last a whole day (including a nice lunch!) If you decide to do this, go straight there first, as parking is limited.

The lower village is very touristy, but the surrounding scenery is spectacular and you shouldn't miss the Chateau, which is huge and offers stupendous views. http://www.marseille-provence.info/places/villages/273-les-baux-de-provence.html

If in Les Baux, be sure, too, to visit the Quarries of Lights (formerly known as the Cathedral of Images), a son et lumiere show in a magnificent bauxite quarry. http://www.marseille-provence.info/arts-and-culture/painting-and-photography/327-gallery-the-quarries-of-lights.html

My suggestion would be to drive directly to Les Baux (you might also want to make a quick stop in nearby St Remy). The head back to Marseille via Arles and stop as time permits. We assume you are also aware the Pont du Gard fits into this drive although time would really be a limiting factor.

Hank

As Hank points out, the pont du gard is within the area. Oh wow, we stopped there one day (it was a land trip to France) and we were so impressed, what an awesome sight. We did traverse the bridge and spent some time in the museum also. Can honestly say that it would require a minimum of half a day, and so very worthwhile!

Agree with above. We did Arles to Les Baux, to Pont du Gard and back to Marseille. It was an amazing day. Ancient Rome is better preserved in the Pont du Gard and Arles than just about anywhere. Les Baux is also different than any place we have been.

Thank you so much for your advice on what to do. I would have loved to have seen all three places, but unfortunately do not have the time to do that. I appreciate all of your input.

If you can visit a couple, that would be a great day. These shortened port days on Med cruises are a bit of a tease. I would try to get to both Les Baux and Arles, given your time constraints and get out first thing. I would spend more time in Arles and that is where you want to eat your lunch. Have a great time.

My grandfather is from Luberon. (he passed away in 1990)

We have 10 hrs with a private guide from Marseille.

Where should we go to get a true (not touristy) flavor of the region where he grew up. I remember him talking about his life "before the war", and how he described the beauty of the area. I would love to get a feel for his childhood! :)

The Luberon is really an interesting area, although we are not sure its the best place for a port day (unless you have been to the area many times). 3 years ago we rented an apartment in St Remy for a few weeks and spent a lot of time driving around the small villages of the Luberon. We quickly learned that the locals are not big fans or Peter Mayle since they feel he ruined their region with too much publicity. One cafe owner told us that the small roads (most are 2 lane) used to be pretty empty in the summer months but now are crowded with tourists in their cars (me) and tour buses/vans. The irony about Peter Mayle is that he eventually sold his home and moved (partially to escape the tourists knocking at his door or gazing from the road).

Hank

Hi Hank, so the comment about Peter Mayle reminded me of just how hilarious the books were!!! time to re-read them!

I hear ya! We read his first book (A Year in Provence) before we had ever explored the area. Years later, when we had rented an apartment in St Remy, we spent a few days just driving around the part of the Luberon that Mayle described in his book (we did pass his home). I even found myself trying Pastis because of that darn book :) The French caretaker for our rented apartment (who did not speak 5 words of English) reminded me of some of the characters that Mayle described in the book. When he came over to meet us (and let us in the apartment) he handed me a bottle of local wine as a welcome gift. We understand that many fellow Americans do not like France or the French, but our experience (over many years) has been very positive and we have found many of the French to be extremely friendly and helpful. Sometimes the French will be a bit slow to warm-up to tourists. In St Remy, every morning I would walk a few blocks to a small boulangerie to buy fresh croissants and bread. For the first few days the "madame" who owned the place would not say two words to me and never smiled. But after about a week I got lots of smiles and we managed to communicate even though my French is awful to non-existant and her English was not much better. On our last day in St Remy I told her we were going home and she quickly stuffed some extra goodies (on the house) in my bag.

Hank

I hear ya! We read his first book (A Year in Provence) before we had ever explored the area. Years later, when we had rented an apartment in St Remy, we spent a few days just driving around the part of the Luberon that Mayle described in his book (we did pass his home). I even found myself trying Pastis because of that darn book :) The French caretaker for our rented apartment (who did not speak 5 words of English) reminded me of some of the characters that Mayle described in the book. When he came over to meet us (and let us in the apartment) he handed me a bottle of local wine as a welcome gift. We understand that many fellow Americans do not like France or the French, but our experience (over many years) has been very positive and we have found many of the French to be extremely friendly and helpful. Sometimes the French will be a bit slow to warm-up to tourists. In St Remy, every morning I would walk a few blocks to a small boulangerie to buy fresh croissants and bread. For the first few days the "madame" who owned the place would not say two words to me and never smiled. But after about a week I got lots of smiles and we managed to communicate even though my French is awful to non-existant and her English was not much better. On our last day in St Remy I told her we were going home and she quickly stuffed some extra goodies (on the house) in my bag.

Hank

I am so glad to hear you have the same positive comments as us!!! we travel in France via train, penichette, and rental car! we stay the gamut of apartment rentals, small gites, large hotels etc and we always have a fabulous time! my french is totally pathetic, however, I always try!! i greet everyone with a Bonjour! monsier/madame and mostly it works. The best however, we got off a train in Paris (after two weeks in the countryside) and I tried to give the taxi driver my hotel info, after much backwarding and forwarding, I gave him my paperwork - he takes it, breaks into laughter, and then had tears of laughter running down his face - it was all in my poor pronunication of the street address !!!! we all had a really good laugh and he spent the short journey trying to help me pronounce the street and hotel name properly!!!! there was truly no offense, it was a true meeting of the cultures!!! we have been so fortunate to have many happy memories like this, and there are many more! France is a very easy country in which to travel, and the countryside is so incredible, and let us not mention the food and the wine!!! ah yes, time to plan another trip!

You should also consider les Baux and San Remy de Provence. Close together and totally different in terrain and feel. This trip we are doing St. Remy on a Wednesday which is market day and then Aix en Provence another lovely choice. If you do les Baux though do go there first for the parking. Enjoy..they will all be delightful!

Sherry

Archived