San Juan airport port transfer

travelplus

We are arriving San Juan about 9:55 AM on American Airlines to make our cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. My question is what time does the bus start running at? Do we have time for drinks and a bite to eat at the American Lounge before getting our bags and getting on the bus? Or do we need to quickly run to the baggage claim and get the transfer bus?

Thanks

We are arriving San Juan about 9:55 AM on American Airlines to make our cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. My question is what time does the bus start running at? Do we have time for drinks and a bite to eat at the American Lounge before getting our bags and getting on the bus? Or do we need to quickly run to the baggage claim and get the transfer bus?

Thanks

Hello!!

Did you already pay for the bus transfer? We did the Serenade last Feb....arrived at the San Juan airport around 11a and took a cab from there to the port for $20.00. Much cheaper then you would pay for the transfer bus. Arrived right at the door...they took our bags and we were on the ship in less then 15 mins.:D Enjoy the Serenade...she's a beautiful ship!!!

We also took a cab and it was very quick and easy. We stood in the cab line, it was long but there were lots of cabs and it moved quickly. I have to say they are very aggressive drivers. At least our cab driver was.

If you can, I would switch and just take a cab, then you can take your time and catch a cab when you are ready.

I would highly recommend that you cancel the transfer thru the cruiseline and take the taxi. They will put you on a bus and you will wait until it is full before you leave for the port. Another thing is that your luggage will be put in the back of a box truck and you won't see it again until you get on the ship.

I have been on 5 cruises out of San Juan and would not even think about a transfer ever again!

If you do take a cab, make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE you get in. We took a cab from the San Juan airport to the cruise port in November, and it was $15, plus a dollar per bag. Our friends who were right behind us (but didn't inquire as to the price beforehand) were asked for $40 plus a dollar per bag from their driver. Argument in Spanish/English ensued and they settled with the driver somewhere in the middle. Just a word of caution.

If you do take a cab, make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE you get in. We took a cab from the San Juan airport to the cruise port in November, and it was $15, plus a dollar per bag. Our friends who were right behind us (but didn't inquire as to the price beforehand) were asked for $40 plus a dollar per bag from their driver. Argument in Spanish/English ensued and they settled with the driver somewhere in the middle. Just a word of caution.

So sorry your friends had to experience that. Normally at the airport, there's a taxi stand and someone will give you a slip of paper mapping out the cost to various places in San Juan before they lead you to a taxi. In either case, you should do what wowcruisers said and make sure you discuss the price before getting into the taxi. :)

So sorry your friends had to experience that. Normally at the airport, there's a taxi stand and someone will give you a slip of paper mapping out the cost to various places in San Juan before they lead you to a taxi. In either case, you should do what wowcruisers said and make sure you discuss the price before getting into the taxi. :)

They don't give you a slip, but the rates are shown in the luggage area. Different rates to pier as compared to hotels, rainforest etc. This Feb. 5-12, we paid $19 + $1 per bag form the airport to the RCL pier.

Thanks

My worry would be about my baggage sitting unclaimed in the baggage claim area.

I would highly recommend that you cancel the transfer thru the cruiseline and take the taxi. They will put you on a bus and you will wait until it is full before you leave for the port. Another thing is that your luggage will be put in the back of a box truck and you won't see it again until you get on the ship.

I have been on 5 cruises out of San Juan and would not even think about a transfer ever again!

My worry would be about my baggage sitting unclaimed in the baggage claim area.

We used RCI transfers for our first two cruises because we didn't know better. Both times we picked up our luggage in baggage claim and carried it to the RCI transfer bus. Once at the pier, we unloaded our luggage and gave it to the porters at the pier. Is this not the way it is done any more?

OP - I'll re-iterate what others have said. Cancel your transfers with RCI and take a cab. You'll be able to sit in the American lounge as long as you want and then take a taxi to the pier at your leisure.

They don't give you a slip, but the rates are shown in the luggage area. Different rates to pier as compared to hotels, rainforest etc. This Feb. 5-12, we paid $19 + $1 per bag form the airport to the RCL pier.

I've gotten this each time I've caught a taxi at SJU. I've been there about 4 times in the last 3 yrs. We've normally gotten there during a slow time, either a day or two before a cruise, or during a land vacation, so perhaps they're not given out during busy times. :)

ry%3D400

We used RCI transfers for our first two cruises because we didn't know better. Both times we picked up our luggage in baggage claim and carried it to the RCI transfer bus. Once at the pier, we unloaded our luggage and gave it to the porters at the pier. Is this not the way it is done any more?

OP - I'll re-iterate what others have said. Cancel your transfers with RCI and take a cab. You'll be able to sit in the American lounge as long as you want and then take a taxi to the pier at your leisure.

Again, I wouldn't leave my luggage sitting in the claim area while in the lounge.

the rates are also posted on the passanger side window in the cab--

Yes get a cab-last time we didn't know better and sat on the bus while it filled then they drop off at a few places so you could be on the bus a while

I worried about the transfers too but having done the port transfer thing for a first time.... It will be that last. definitely cheaper and more convenient to do a taxi. There are posted zones. Go for it! Better than being herded like cattle!! Have fun. Wish I was there.....again. :D

I've gotten this each time I've caught a taxi at SJU. I've been there about 4 times in the last 3 yrs. We've normally gotten there during a slow time, either a day or two before a cruise, or during a land vacation, so perhaps they're not given out during busy times. :)

ry%3D400

Today they were not giving out these sheets to every group of passengers has I have had them do in the past. Black and white copies of this sheet were available at the podium.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We used Puerto Rico Shuttle Van Service & Tours:

www.shuttlevanpr.com

There shuttle service was very professional and right on time! We enjoyed there personal service and knowledge of the area. Even when the roads were blocked by a triathalon they found a way through to make sure we were on time for our arrival. This was by far the best shuttle service we ever used anywhere, and will recommend to all of our friends and family.

Archived