Port Angeles, Washington

The Oosterdam is stopping in Port Angeles, WA on April 18th, 2012 from 10 am to 11 pm. I can't find ANY information on excursions in that port. Does anyone have any experience/ideas?

Really? The best thing to do is a trip to Hurricane Ridge, very very nice, and probably the highlight of the area.

Really? The best thing to do is a trip to Hurricane Ridge, very very nice, and probably the highlight of the area.

Scott is bang on.

A trip down the coast to Sequim and hike out the Dungeness Spit a bit http://www.dungeness.com/refuge/ is pretty neat also.

No need to hike on the Ridge but some mobility is needed there also for best views.

Or how long on you there you could take the ferry to Victoria :) and back.

PS there is likely a reason for the name of the spit. Find a restaurant that serves them crabs. YUM.

Scott is bang on.

A trip down the coast to Sequim and hike out the Dungeness Spit a bit http://www.dungeness.com/refuge/ is pretty neat also.

No need to hike on the Ridge but some mobility is needed there also for best views.

Or how long on you there you could take the ferry to Victoria :) and back.

PS there is likely a reason for the name of the spit. Find a restaurant that serves them crabs. YUM.

However, if you took the ferry, the comparison between MV Coho and the Oosterdam, is astonishing. The best words I can think of for the Coho (launched in the 50s and the basis for the original BC Ferries) is "utilitarian", but be sure to seek out the "Barbara Streisand room" on board, and ask a crew member exactly why it's called that.

Thanks for the info and recommendation about Sequim! Yes, I know the Coho and the Clipper well. I live in Nanaimo!!! Isn't it horrible that I don't have a clue what to do in Port Angeles!!

If anybody wants to organize something together, we'd be interested!

Frances & Sarah

Thanks for the info and recommendation about Sequim! Yes, I know the Coho and the Clipper well. I live in Nanaimo!!! Isn't it horrible that I don't have a clue what to do in Port Angeles!!

If anybody wants to organize something together, we'd be interested!

Frances & Sarah

YES it is... Sorry I didn't see that..:p Don't take the ferry to Victoria lol

How does one even get up to Hurricane Ridge and would the roads be clear of ice/snow that early in the season?

I would have to think there would be some sort of organized tour. Port Angeles isn't a very often visited port, but I suspect the chamber of commerce/tourist info would have some information.

http://www.portangeles.org/

Not certain how long you are in port, but here are some ideas:

Take a ship's excursion to Forks. It is famous for big-time logging (good museum) and Twilight.

Explore the waterfront in Port Angeles - nice shops and restaurants.

Go fishing. Get a charter for a half-day. The skipper may even do some sightseeing.

Go whale watching. There are scheduled trips.

If...the sun is shining and it is clear....go to Hurricane Ridge. It is spectacular and the best view in Olympic National Park.

Take a drive to the forest. Olympic National Park has amazing old-growth forest. You won't believe the size of the trees.

If you like lavender, take an excursion to nearby Sequim and it's lavender farms. Very nice.

Spend some time walking a pacific northwest beach. Look at the tidepools and turn over a few rocks to see the sea life. You may see clams, oysters, mussels, tiny crabs, agate rocks, bits of polished sea glass and great driftwood.

Port Angeles has a long history as a logging, mill town, and regional commercial center as well as being the headquarters for Olympic National Park.

From what I could find online, the ships should be docking about 3/4 mile west of the Coho terminal; and there will be local volunteers helping out.

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20120312/NEWS/303129996/port-angeles-prepares-welcome-for-two-cruise-liners-due-in-april-may

http://www.portangeles.org/Blog/Blog/Community-Volunteers-Needed-to-Welcome-Cruise-Ships.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived