Docking in Ravenna

hylasgirl

Can someone help me with where we dock in Ravenna? I'm wanting to know just how far it is from where the cruise ships dock to the train station. It's depressing how little information there is on Ravenna. Has anyone been there?

Can someone help me with where we dock in Ravenna? I'm wanting to know just how far it is from where the cruise ships dock to the train station. It's depressing how little information there is on Ravenna. Has anyone been there?

We took the ship's shuttle, so I can't comment on the train.

We really enjoyed Ravenna; it was so relaxing to explore on our own following the hectic pace of the private tours of Rome, Florence and Naples. We visited the exquisite mosaics following suggestions on a walking tour I found online.

We had lunch at an outdoor cafe, bought some local wine at a market in the square by the carousel, shopped and just enjoyed the day at our own pace. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. I heard one couple on the shuttle complaining that the stop was a total waste of time and RC should eliminate it from the itinerary, we felt just the opposite.

We really enjoyed Ravenna; it was so relaxing to explore on our own following the hectic pace of the private tours of Rome, Florence and Naples. We visited the exquisite mosaics following suggestions on a walking tour I found online.

We had lunch at an outdoor cafe, bought some local wine at a market in the square by the carousel, shopped and just enjoyed the day at our own pace. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. I heard one couple on the shuttle complaining that the stop was a total waste of time and RC should eliminate it from the itinerary, we felt just the opposite.

Well, I'm really excited about this new stop... and the mosaics. This will be a great change of pace for us. Hopefully someone can comment on how far it is from the port. I did have a nice CC'er forward me a great walking tour. We plan to do that :)

The port is more than seven miles from the train station, so either the shuttle or a taxi will be necessary.

If you want to see it on a google map, the port is called Porto Corsini, the street addrss is Via Teseo Guerra. The train station is at Piazza Carlo Luigi Farini.

There is a good port guide, in English, on the Port of Ravenna web site here: http://www.port.ravenna.it/work/doc/cruiseguide1.pdf

The port is more than seven miles from the train station, so either the shuttle or a taxi will be necessary.

If you want to see it on a google map, the port is called Porto Corsini, the street addrss is Via Teseo Guerra. The train station is at Piazza Carlo Luigi Farini.

There is a good port guide, in English, on the Port of Ravenna web site here: http://www.port.ravenna.it/work/doc/cruiseguide1.pdf

Fantastic port guide! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, is very helpful eurocruiser :)

We will be stopping at Ravena also. Where did you find the Walking Tour ?

I would appreciate the website. Thanks

25 euros for a cab from the station to Porto Corsini last October for ourselves and luggage as we were boarding our ship there. However the City of Ravenna provides free shuttle buses for the same trip any time there are ships in port.

Ravenna is a very walkable city and all the mosaic sites except one as well as Dante's tomb can be easiky visited in a day.

• 1 year later...
Well, I'm really excited about this new stop... and the mosaics. This will be a great change of pace for us. Hopefully someone can comment on how far it is from the port. I did have a nice CC'er forward me a great walking tour. We plan to do that :)

Hi would you be so kind as to forward a copy of the walking tour of Ravenna please - my husband and I would love to do that.

There are a few ways to get from the port to town and the train station. There are taxis, although it is first come first serve and many of them are only interested in passengers that want a long (and expensive) tour. There is also the shuttle bus. And finally there are a few local buses (cheaper then the shuttle bus) for which you must walk out of the port to the bus stop. Those local buses do not run very often (sometimes only about once an hour) so if one plans on using the local bus you should first get the schedule and act accordingly.

Hank

Hi would you be so kind as to forward a copy of the walking tour of Ravenna please - my husband and I would love to do that.
While it's not the tour referenced above, here's a tour that might help: http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/ravenna-italys-byzantium

This may also help fill in information: http://www.turismo.ravenna.it/eng/Discover-the-area/Art-and-culture/Churches_-baptisteries

• 1 year later...

Ravenna has 8 world heritage sites. The mosaics are exquisite and mindblowing, more impressive than anything I have ever seen in a church including Hagia Sophia, which was built at the same time. You could hear people gasping when they walked inside the unassuming brick buildings because of the shock of so much beauty. Because the monuments and churches date to the 6th century and were not covered over you can see them in their original state, not half deteriorated and being restored like the ones in many other places.

I wrote a term paper on these mosaics many years ago in college and finally got to visit them last year when I took a train there from Bologna. Personally I would hire a guide to bring them alive and give you much more information than you will ever get on a printed tour. There is alot of interesting symbolism and history behind each mosaic. Guides are reasonable and definitely worth the extra money. Tours by Locals has some excellent ones listed who will give walking tours and meet you wherever you like in Ravenna.

The churches in Ravenna are my favorite of any of the hundreds Of religious buildings I have seen over 40 years of European travel, including places like the Sistine ceiling, and I will definitely be returning for another visit.