St Peter's Basilica with teens - What to focus on?

World Gallery

We are doing a guided tour of just St. Peter's, not the whole Vatican and museum. We will have about 2 hours there. Context Travel, the tour company we are using, asked if we wanted to be led by a theologian, art historian, or architect (I think a theologian is what we would request. We are not Catholic but are Christians) and what we wanted the tour to cover. They normally do a 3 hour tour that includes the Treasurey Museum but we are shortening the tour. What would make a tour of St. Peter's most memorable for kids ages 11,13,14,15,17?

I agree that they'd probably love the dome, but that could easily take up your whole time because of the long line.

I think they'd enjoy the grottoes under the Basilica. A lot of popes are buried there and each has a unique tomb/sarcophagus and a short write-up. It is amazing how many popes reigned for less than a month.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but the thing our kids enjoyed most (on various different trips) was climbing to the top of the dome, which is not something you'd want to pay a guide to do.

This is EXACTLY what our teens enjoyed the most on 2 trips to St. Peter's, even with the one hour wait in 98 degree heat to get to the bottom of the dome stairs.

Personally I'd skip the guided tour and have a look around on your own, after doing a little pre-reserach. Then I would climb the dome--I am definitely NOT a kid but that was a superfun thing to do and I will never forget it!!

I agree, it's quite easy to do on your own. Rick Steves' podcast is good, and obviously there's lots of guide book stuff you can look at before you go. From about an hour inside I made this

I'm annoyed I didn't climb the dome :(

All the best, Tony

Thanks everyone.

I had initally wanted to climb the tower but was told by our tour company that the lines are very long most of the time and the whole process could take hours.

The issue is, we only have one day in Rome. I have had to adjust our schedule several times to make it work. I have been cutting things out to make it work and we are now down to the the very basics of what we really want to see. As much as I want to climb the tower, I think I would have to decide on the spot based on the lines. I would hate to waste too much time standing in line then rushing around the rest of the day to fit in the rest of what we want to see in Rome.

Is there any way to buy tickets in advance? Is there any tour company that can get the tickets for the tower climb, for a specific time, to skip the lines (even if we paid more)? I have seen tour companys claim they have 'line skipping tours" for other things in Rome.

In Pisa, it works out great because you buy your tickets in advance for a specific time. That helps us plan out the day and make the most of it.

Thanks. If the line is long, we won't have able to climb then. On a good day with shorter lines, how long would it take to complete the whole process?

I do still want to see St. Peter's. Does anyone have anything else to add about what is best to focus on inside the church?

I'd just let your guide take the lead. I've wracked my brain and cannot recall anything in the Basilica that is particularly "child oriented" or a must see other than the major things your guide will undoubtedly already show you. I hardly remember anything from my first visit there as a 14-year-old, other than the Baldacchino and the Michelangelo Pieta.

Personally I'd skip the guided tour and have a look around on your own, after doing a little pre-reserach. Then I would climb the dome--I am definitely NOT a kid but that was a superfun thing to do and I will never forget it!!

I agree with this completely. There are lots of things to see. The attention span of a teenager may not be as long as the either the theologian, art historian, or architect spends on a particular location or spot in the church.

But in the end, if a tour is what you choose, I would choose one with a historian and explain to the guide (well before hand if you can) you want an overview, not a total history of the Church. They can easily accommodate that. Also let them know you have teenagers with you and to tailor it to them. Everything is possible and they will try to please you.

Archived