Stay and Fly - Newark

bmckim

I realize this is a bit off topic here, but couldn't find a better board.

We are looking to stay and fly out of Newark for our cruise. Any recommendations for places to stay by EWR?

This is actually a big topic on this board - many folks do a park/sleep when cruising out of Bayonne.

This year we're recommending:

1) stay123.com - Country Inn and Suites - about $140 incl tax

2) trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn - about $138 incl tax

Budget recommendation is trinity - Ramada Inn - about $112 incl tax

It is important that you be selective about where you leave your car in the Newark Airport area - there are other choices, but generally we have not been recommending them. Post back if you are considering other hotels.

NO! NO! NO!

Comfort Suites is in downtown Newark - Perhaps OK if you're going to an "event", but not a place to ditch your car while you cruise. I just got back from an Explorer cruise and we persuaded several CCer's to switch from Comfort Suites to the Ramada from trinityreservations - they were very happy. That's why I'm also recommending the Ramada as a "budget" choice.

Newark is a highly urban industrialized area - you MUST be selective about where you choose to leave your car for an extended time. Some of the park/sleep hotels have had serious vandalism on cars reported. There are no guarantees, but the CCer's have had consistently good experiences with Country Inns and the Fairfield and now the Ramada.

I just realized that you are looking at Jan 2013 - way too soon to get a park/sleep price for those dates for a variety of hotels. Stay123 and trinity buy blocks of rooms from the hotels and resell them with the parking. Trinity told me they do annual contracts, so the rooms are set for 2012, but not yet arranged for 2013. They did not have their 2012 prices negotiated until late 2012. Once the park/sleep rooms are sold, they are no longer available.

Comfort Suites would actually be $137 with the tax. Stay123 quotes without tax, but trinity quotes tax included, so make sure you are comparing the final prices correctly. It looks like you are going on a Honeymoon cruise - Congratulations! You probably want to arrange all the details now, but be patient and you will get what you want later this year.

The other thing you should know is that Comfort Suites is really not near the airport at all. If you're flying out, you really want an airport hotel that runs a frequent shuttle between the hotel and the terminals.

Thanks so much for your help. I will wait a while before booking.

Do you think it might just be better to book a hotel room and then park at a park and fly or other airport parking? Or is it just as bad? As a New Yorker (upstate) I try to drive as fast as possible through the entire state of New Jersey. Rarely stop. :)

Thanks so much for your help. I will wait a while before booking.

Do you think it might just be better to book a hotel room and then park at a park and fly or other airport parking? Or is it just as bad? As a New Yorker (upstate) I try to drive as fast as possible through the entire state of New Jersey. Rarely stop. :)

you're fine booking a park and fly...and then booking transfers to the pier....

just tell us where you want to stay first:D

These are OK:

Fairfield Inn, Country Inn, both Courtyards, Residence Inn. We tend to stick with 3 on Glimcher Realty way as the lots are more secure and they're a little farther away from Newark...they're STILL by the airport....just under Newark/Elizabeth

you can also try over by Secaucus...i am just not sure if they offer park & fly rates as they're a little farther away....but it's a bit nicer of an area....there is more "stuff"

I left my car there for 12 days last year and it was fine.

Why are you paying $159? Does that include tax? Are you going next January? If so, it's way too soon to be booking this. trinityreservations should be less than $159, but they will not have their choices out there until the fall. This year they are $138 incl tax.

I can cancel up to the day of. Just wanted to book something for now. Will probably book if cheaper later.

it is fine....and you have plenty of time to look for a better rate...that one you got isn't bad, but since trinity and stay123 buy blocks of rooms, you may score a better deal..and one of those 2 quotes rates with tax included (i forget which) so that alone is around 15%...

the hotel isn't really fancy but was recently (within the last year-ish) renovated and it is a good choice.....you just want to make sure to get good directions...GPS sometimes is a little off up that way....and you have to pay attention to what lane you're in...

Yes - if you stay at the Fairfield you MUST print out their directions from the web site. Also a trinity is offering the Ramada for $112 tax incl this year for a park/stay. That could be another budget option.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know what the cost is to the Port of Manhattan and back?

The Fairfield Inn says $40 for up to 4 people (I am assuming that is one way) with the 888-816-0973 number

The Ramada just gives you the same number to call with no prices.

It's just two of us.

TIA

The $40 quote is for transportation from Newark to Cape Liberty in Bayonne. I just posted options for getting to NY on the NCL Gem thread.

Options for getting to NY.

1) Train from Newark Airport station - $12.50/pp + cab to port ($10-15)

2) Train from Newark Penn Station - $5/pp + cab to port

3) Airport bus to Port Authority - $27/round trip + cab to port

4) Car Service to port - $70-$100 each way

The folks at Independent Driver (888-816-0973) will quote you to NY - be sure to ask about tolls and tip.

The $40 quote is for transportation from Newark to Cape Liberty in Bayonne. I just posted options for getting to NY on the NCL Gem thread.

Options for getting to NY.

1) Train from Newark Airport station - $12.50/pp + cab to port ($10-15)

2) Train from Newark Penn Station - $5/pp + cab to port

3) Airport bus to Port Authority - $27/round trip + cab to port

4) Car Service to port - $70-$100 each way

The folks at Independent Driver (888-816-0973) will quote you to NY - be sure to ask about tolls and tip.

Thank you!

Archived