Lahaina Tendering and Car Rental

I know this is a bit premature but we are sailing on Rhapsody May 2013 Honululu to Vancouver. We plan to rent a car on the first Lahaina day. Can anyone advise if we will need a tender ticket and if so how is the best way to get an early ticket. Also what time would you advise as pick up time for car rental and whether any car rental companies run shuttles from the port. When does the last tender run on the first Lahaina day?

We will also be renting a car in Kauai and Hilo but don't envisage the same problems as the ship is docked.

I know this is a bit premature but we are sailing on Rhapsody May 2013 Honululu to Vancouver. We plan to rent a car on the first Lahaina day. Can anyone advise if we will need a tender ticket and if so how is the best way to get an early ticket. Also what time would you advise as pick up time for car rental and whether any car rental companies run shuttles from the port. When does the last tender run on the first Lahaina day?

We will also be renting a car in Kauai and Hilo but don't envisage the same problems as the ship is docked.

When we overnighted in Lahaina on Serenade, no tender tickets were necessary...the tenders just run back and forth.

We rented a car from National and there was a National/Alamo shuttle to the car rental place. We also saw shuttles for the other majors, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty. But just to be sure, I would ask about a shuttle when you secure your rental car. :)

Thats funny you asked. We are going on cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver in April 2012!! I just booked a rental car through Hertz on Lahaina. Its walking distance from the port. Which saves time from waiting for shuttles, etc. And there is a drop off box for the key if you want to turn in the car after hours, which is a very helpful since 4 pm on all the rental were a bit early.

Are you overnighting in Lahaina? We went to the Luau in the evening and stayed out until quite late in the evening. We parked the car overnight at a car lot (IIRC $15/probably more now) across the square and to the right.

We picked it up in the morning and toured some more. Dropped off the car...and had the shuttle driver drop us off at the far end of Front Street so we could wander back through the stores and galleries.

Have a wonderful time! That was a great cruise! :D:):D

I will interject one small warning about Hawaii rental car agencies. MAKE SURE you note and have it initialed at the counter about any damage to your car before you take it out.

Lahaina was the only place we had a problem. Supposedly our car had been inspected and was free of damage and he had us initial to that effect....and we went out and looked at the car and the top of the hood was bashed in. (Falling coconuts, maybe?)

He looked slightly embarassed, when we marched back in about the damage and quickly noted it and re-initialed the form. :rolleyes:

Hertz is within walking distance, and they also have a shuttle. We rented from them last year. We did all of our driving on the first day, and left the car in the lot at about 10:00pm, put the keys and the contract in the lock box and walked back to the pier. Next year I think we'll keep the car both days.

We did have tender tickets on Rhapsody. They took the ship's tours first when they were ready to depart. One tender broke down just before we were to leave, and we had to wait about 40 minutes, fir which the Captain later apologized (to everybody, not just us;)).

The tenders ran all night. After midnight I think they ran once hourly.

Thanks for all the information. I take it the Hertz rental is at 256 Papalaua Street. We looked at that but didn't see it had a lock box for after hours drop offs. Good to know that it has. We assumed we would have to use the Hyatt Regency to drop the car off as it mentions after hours drop off. As you walked back quite late I assume it's quite safe to walk. We've travelled a lot in the USA but this is our first time to Hawaii.

We are booked on the same cruise-Rhaposdy May 2013. I'm glad you asked this question becuase we were wondering the same thing. Great replies about renting a car. Very helpful. Now we just have to wait 14 months. Aloha.

Asked the same question in Trip Advisor about safety walking back later at night. This is the reply I got from a Maui resident.

Aloha,

You will be fine. The only caution I will give you is to be careful crossing the highway--drivers here are often distracted and not paying attention as they should be. Once you cross the highway, you have about 2 blocks to Front St, then a left and about five more to the harbor.

Archived