Why do we have to pay more for a handicapped room

JoyB

I'm not sure why you are having a problem understanding that the handicapped cabins are in a higher cost category except for the fact that you don't want to pay $20 more for this type of stateroom. Perhaps you have to refresh your understanding of the phrase "supply and demand". They charge more for these cabins, not only because of the special features in the stateroom to accommodate the needs of those guests who require them, but because there is a limited supply of those staterooms. You were given the correct answer but apparently you didn't like what you were told. Perhaps in an ideal world there would be accessible cabins in every category and there would always be a sufficient number of them to accommodate everyone who wanted or needed them but we don't live in an ideal world. My advice is to pay the minimal increase in cost and try to enjoy your cruise.

First: There is an "Ideal World", and it's called Holland America. They do NOT charge an upgraded category for any accessible room. If you want the lowest-priced balcony cabin, you get an accessible balcony cabin for the EXACT SAME RATE.

Second: When I booked our upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise, which was on sale, I selected the category I wanted, and the sale price appeared. As I proceeded to book the cabin, the questions "Are you 55+", "Military", etc. appeared. When I checked yes to "DO YOU NEED AN ACCESSIBLE ROOM", the "sale" price jumped up $30 pp.

First: There is an "Ideal World", and it's called Holland America. They do NOT charge an upgraded category for any accessible room. If you want the lowest-priced balcony cabin, you get an accessible balcony cabin for the EXACT SAME RATE.

Second: When I booked our upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise, which was on sale, I selected the category I wanted, and the sale price appeared. As I proceeded to book the cabin, the questions "Are you 55+", "Military", etc. appeared. When I checked yes to "DO YOU NEED AN ACCESSIBLE ROOM", the "sale" price jumped up $30 pp.

Then for you, HAL is the ideal choice. Somehow I believe that the number of accessible rooms is likely greater on HAL than many other lines, given that line's demographics. As someone has mentioned, RCI doesn't offer accessible cabins in all categories which would explain why the sale price "jumped" when you indicated that you needed one.

RCL doesn't either, but if there is no accessible cabin in the lowest category, you have to go up to where there is one

It jumped because there was no accessible cabin in the category you first picked.

There seems to be a difference in price now that accessible cabins can be booked online.

I think that this requirement is fairly recent:

(b) You must, with respect to reservations made by any means ( e.g., telephone, Internet, in person, or through a third party):

(1) Modify your policies, practices, or procedures to ensure that individuals with disabilities can make reservations for accessible cabins during the same hours and in the same manner as individuals who do not need accessible cabins;.....

Also:

(d) If a passenger with a disability seeks to reserve an accessible cabin in a given class of service, and there is not an available accessible cabin in that class of service, but there is an available accessible cabin in a different class of service, you must allow the passenger to reserve that accessible cabin at the price of the requested class of service of the class of service in which the accessible cabin exists, whichever is lower.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;idno=49;region=DIV1;q1=39;rgn=div5;sid=3c7c3bcdcde59a6c9ef06fe264cff271;view=text;node=49%3A1.0.1.1.28#49:1.0.1.1.28.1.16.4

So to me, that sounds like she should get the C1 acc for the C2 price.

These are fairly recent developments and maybe everyone is not up to speed on the regulations. I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal website is inaccurate.

These rules do apply to U.S. based companies but there are provisions for international companies to 'opt out' with some kind of waiver if they have a 'good reason'.

I still don't know the correct answer. I have also read through a lot of regulations concerning the cruiselines (vs the passenger) providing wheelchairs and allowing non-handicapped people to book accessible rooms, that were interesting because they are discussed so much on these boards.

....It jumped because there was no accessible cabin in the category you first picked.

But I am wondering if that is a glitch and the price quoted should actually be lower. I think OP has to call the accessibility dept or resolutions.

Not any more completely than has been already:confused: Neg she does get it now. Semantics and communication are everything. The agent needs a course on how to say things. As a matter of fact, I think I would have offered her an accessable in a less expensive catagory so she could see that in fact she could pay less for one.

But she wanted one in the C category, and according to what I am reading, she should get the lowest price. Unless Royal does not have to comply with ADA for some reason.

And maybe the agent was wrong. Stranger things have happened.

Should point out that our TA accidentally booked us in a HA room for our next cruise. Once he realized the mistake, our fee went up $80. So in this case, the HA room was cheaper. Same category, too, since both are the lowest inside category on Explorer.

A Rule by the Transportation Department on 07/06/2010

"The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have accessible cabins in all classes of service. PVOs, (passenger vessel operators*) however, cannot properly impose costs on disabled passengers because vessels lack accessible cabins in some classes of service. If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service, the PVO must make accessible cabins available to passengers with disabilities at no more than the cost of the class of service the passenger requests. Under a nondiscrimination rule, disabled passengers, like all other passengers, should be able to purchase accommodations they can use at a price they are willing to pay."

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2010/07/06/2010-15101/transportation-for-individuals-with-disabilities-passenger-vessels#p-89

Thank you for posting this link. A very enlightening read and reference piece for any HC cruiser.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;idno=49;region=DIV1;q1=39;rgn=div5;sid=3c7c3bcdcde59a6c9ef06fe264cff271;view=text;node=49%3A1.0.1.1.28#49:1.0.1.1.28.7.16.4

This one says updated as of March 1, 2012

"The purpose of this Part is to carry out the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 with respect to passenger vessels. This rule prohibits owners and operators of passenger vessels, including U.S. and foreign-flag vessels, from discriminating against passengers on the basis of disability; requires vessels and related facilities to be accessible; and requires owners and operators of vessels to take steps to accommodate passengers with disabilities........

(b) If you are the PVO of a foreign-flag passenger vessel, this Part applies to you only if your vessel picks up passengers at a port in the United States, its territories, possessions, or commonwealths."

You know, after reading the ACTUAL regulation that applies, the OP has a valid point.

The regulation specifically prohibits the cruise line from "up category" charges for HA accomodations and requires them to charge her the fare for the C2 requested.

I'm sure it isn't the $20, but the principal.

Very interesting reading.

"If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service..."

I would encourage anyone faced with the lack of accessable room to deal with the cruise line directly. However, looking at this part of the regulation above, I see that the cruise line will probably argue they have provided an "adequate" number of cabins in the desired class, but they were just booked.

"If a passenger with a disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive classes of service..."

I would encourage anyone faced with the lack of accessable room to deal with the cruise line directly. However, looking at this part of the regulation above, I see that the cruise line will probably argue they have provided an "adequate" number of cabins in the desired class, but they were just booked.

I may have misread the thread - but the OP was looking to book multiple C2's one of which is HA. There are NO C2's that are HA at all - not just none available to book. They don't exist on the ship. All the HA acceccable C's are C1.

Now where it gets real interesting if you are splitting hairs - what is a "class" exactly? They do have C1's, but not C2's - does that mean they are available in the "class" but just not in the sub-class?

Enough to make your brain hurt!

when i called royal to book liberty for feb 18th a balcony stateroom guarantee was listed. told them i needed a balcony HC cabin. only avail was an E2 which was priced higher. i got the E2 for the balcony guarantee price.

i called royal to book navigatot for april8th. a guarantee balcony was listed. told them i needed a HC balcony and was able to select one from Cat E2 at the balcony guarantee price.

i do not think the HC cabins were held back from inventory. they were available at the lower guarantee price

Wow, that is quite surprising to me. What's even more surprising is that they booked you at the GTY rate, but allowed you to select a cabin. Excellent.

beachchick

Archived