New Cruiser on Disney Wonder (Alaska, May!)

zenjenn

Hello folks!

I'm a new member to Cruise Critic, and this will be my first cruise on Disney Cruise Line. This is only the 2nd cruise in my adult life, the 1st being my honeymoon 13 years ago, so it's been a while, and certainly a very different experience as this time I am traveling with my two children and my mother-in-law.

We are cruising Alaska with a May 21st departure. Bookings for activities and meals start in just 2 days, and I need to make some decisions! I am praying that a Disney Wonder veteran. Put me in charge of a Disney World vacation or a day at Disneyland and I will lay out an awesome master plan with spreadsheets, but this *boat* has me overwhelmed.

Ship Questions:

- Meal Reservations! Any advice? We are aiming for early seatings. My kids like to dine early. What is a good time to aim for and still have plenty of time for the evening show? Are any of the adult dining seatings worth it? (Palo, etc?)

- For semi-formal/formal nights. HOW formal is formal, really? Are these kept fun for the kids? Should we just plan on putting them in the kids' club those nights? We have two girls age 7 and 9 who are very well-behaved and can function nicely at such evenings if it would be a nice experience for them, but if it would be more fun for them to be in the kid's club, I'd be inclined to let them.

- Pool (sort of a location question as well): is there no chance at all of swimmable weather on the May Alaska cruise? Should I just leave the swimsuits at home?

- NO PIRATE NIGHT? I'm hearing they is no pirate night on the Alaksa cruise. I was so disappointed! I was looking forward to this. Is there anything in lieu of this on the Alaska cruise? Is this just because pirates are not a very pacific northwest thing? I'd love lumberjack night! :D

- Shipboard activities: are there any shipboard activities that need to be booked in advance? I'm unclear on this.

Itinerary Questions:

Excursion Recommendations: Any excursions that folks HIGHLY recommend? One thing is we already booked a private tour for our party of 6 with a private local tour operator in Skagway to drive us up through the Klondike hwy. We were thinking of skipping the White Pass Railway.. it looks neat but at the ticket price we figure we'll see plenty of gorgeous scenery on the drive.

Vancouver: Is there anything to do in Vancouver 1st day? Would love a moderate hotel recommendation that is in walking distance of port so we can keep our bags at the hotel and maybe do something at port before planning on boarding the ship?

Seattle: On last day in particular, I'd love to know if there is a place to check our bags at port + something we can do so we can enjoy the morning without lugging our stuff around. I really don't want to spend 6 hours standing around the SEA-TAC airport.

Thanks in advance!

Hello folks!

I'm a new member to Cruise Critic, and this will be my first cruise on Disney Cruise Line. This is only the 2nd cruise in my adult life, the 1st being my honeymoon 13 years ago, so it's been a while, and certainly a very different experience as this time I am traveling with my two children and my mother-in-law.

We are cruising Alaska with a May 21st departure. Bookings for activities and meals start in just 2 days, and I need to make some decisions! I am praying that a Disney Wonder veteran. Put me in charge of a Disney World vacation or a day at Disneyland and I will lay out an awesome master plan with spreadsheets, but this *boat* has me overwhelmed.

Ship Questions:

- Meal Reservations! Any advice? We are aiming for early seatings. My kids like to dine early. What is a good time to aim for and still have plenty of time for the evening show? Are any of the adult dining seatings worth it? (Palo, etc?)

- For semi-formal/formal nights. HOW formal is formal, really? Are these kept fun for the kids? Should we just plan on putting them in the kids' club those nights? We have two girls age 7 and 9 who are very well-behaved and can function nicely at such evenings if it would be a nice experience for them, but if it would be more fun for them to be in the kid's club, I'd be inclined to let them.

- Pool (sort of a location question as well): is there no chance at all of swimmable weather on the May Alaska cruise? Should I just leave the swimsuits at home?

- NO PIRATE NIGHT? I'm hearing they is no pirate night on the Alaksa cruise. I was so disappointed! I was looking forward to this. Is there anything in lieu of this on the Alaska cruise? Is this just because pirates are not a very pacific northwest thing? I'd love lumberjack night! :D

- Shipboard activities: are there any shipboard activities that need to be booked in advance? I'm unclear on this.

Itinerary Questions:

Excursion Recommendations: Any excursions that folks HIGHLY recommend? One thing is we already booked a private tour for our party of 6 with a private local tour operator in Skagway to drive us up through the Klondike hwy. We were thinking of skipping the White Pass Railway.. it looks neat but at the ticket price we figure we'll see plenty of gorgeous scenery on the drive.

Vancouver: Is there anything to do in Vancouver 1st day? Would love a moderate hotel recommendation that is in walking distance of port so we can keep our bags at the hotel and maybe do something at port before planning on boarding the ship?

Seattle: On last day in particular, I'd love to know if there is a place to check our bags at port + something we can do so we can enjoy the morning without lugging our stuff around. I really don't want to spend 6 hours standing around the SEA-TAC airport.

Thanks in advance!

As far as dinner, you'll be set for either first or second seating - it should show on your booking. The shows work around the dinner times so you either eat and go to show or other way around. If you don't like the dining chosen, you can ask in advance (possibly getting waitlisted) or try to change the first day you get on board. Typically you can let the servers know your kids will be off to the kids club and they will serve them first and then you can drop the kids off at the club if that works for you. I believe there is also dining in the buffet (sit down) on a few nights if that works.

As far as the pools, take the suits - they don't take much room. The pools are heated and while we went last summer in August on NCL, the temps were in the upper 50s some days but we still went swimming (the pools were mid 80s).

As far as clothing, it sounded pretty casual from what I had heard last year. One of the CC editors took this trip last year and had a blog with pictures if you do some searching.

As far as Skagway, you can search the Ports of Call area:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=1&src=nav

There is tons of info on there and you'll see people who like the train and those that prefer to do it on their own. We actually rented a car in August and drove up to Emerald Lake using a guide referenced on the ports area. There is a car rental right in town. You can walk into town or there are shuttles that are a couple dollars each way but you can pretty much just walk it. We had a bit of a delay getting into Canada as the train arrived the same time and there were only two agents working. There are some neat sand dunes with a porta potty if you have to make a pit stop.

I'm thinking I know which tour operator you are doing and they are probably on the ports of call area if you want to check. We saw one of the operators about 2/3 of the way up and that would be a great way to go too letting someone else do the driving.

I went on this trip just last September. It was a little cold for swimming but I saw kids in the pools.

As far as Formal/semi-formal nights, think informal wedding. I brought a dress shirt and Khakis (no tie). My friend brought a suit, his wife bought a new dress... There has been several discussions on this board about the dress code...

They don't do a pirate night because 1) It's kind of too cold to do a deck party 2) They cannot do the fireworks in Alaska. But what they do do is have a cookout on the fantail for the Tracy Arm day lunch (if it is not raining to hard). Fresh cooked Steak, Chicken, and Salmon...

There are no shipboard activities that you need to book (I am not sure about stuff like babysitting, we were all adults, well at least physically :D). You need to get in line early for the characters....

Excursions: You said you were doing the Klondike Highway. Good. There were four of us so WP&Y was a little expensive...

I would go on a Whale Watch in Juneau. I would pick one with a stop at the Mendenhall Glacier.

In Ketchikan I did the Mysty Fjords Explorer. My friends did the nature walk... To each their own...

In Vancouver I would suggest the Vancouver Aquarium.... Especially if you have kids...

Seattle??? Space Needle???? :confused: (it's the kids part that has me stumped)

HI

I am interested in replies to this question too. I am on the same cruise as you! Grandma with 10 and 6 year old granddaughters. First Disney cruise for all of us but I have cruised many times before. This will be my 3rd Alaska Cruise

We live in Vancouver and I am planning on renting a car to drive back after the cruise.

We have early dinner as I really want the kids to experience the dining rooms and then we will go to the shows after dinner.

I have never done a ship excursion in Alaska - booked privately once and the rest of the time we just did our own thing - but I have never gone with kids before so I am thinking it will be a bit different.

Hope to see you on the cruise!

Thanks all for the responses! And yes, doh, I actually knew about the seating thing. My brain is so in WDW mode I forgot. :o

So relieved to hear about the formalwear situation, as I did not want to drag true formalwear on board. I saw DCL had a link to a REAL formalwear rental place (tuxes and all) and I was a little intimidated. My hubby doesn't own a tux and I did not see shelling out $85 to rent one for a cruise dinner!

We have a party of 5, so the costs really ramp up, too.

My BIG question right now - helicopter/glacier thing. Really, is this worth it? It sounds SO cool but the price is jaw-dropping. On one hand, I am of a mind to rationalize paying top dollar for a true life experience, on the other hand, I find myself saying "Gee, there sure are a LOT of other great things to see and do that will be new life experiences too and don't cost $300 a head!

I've done some homework, and here's what we have planned so far, since at least one poster was curious, which is more and more looking like NO formal shore excursions.

- Vancouver: we decided to book Rosellen Suite right at Stanley Park. That will give everyone in our party of 5 some space, and we're in walking distance of Stanley Park. Doesn't look like it will be too difficult to get around Vancouver to see other sites, by cab, bus, or train.

- Seattle: While we will do the space needle and all that on our arrival (flying in and out of SEA-TAC and then training up to Vancouver), but I think we may hit Pioneer Square on departure day. Looks like there is a place to check bags at the dog and that PS is not too far from the cruise terminal. My husband wants to do the Seattle Underground tour even though I think it looks a little lame!

- Skagway: we hired a native Alaskan tour guide and his Jeep to drive us up the Klondike to Emerald Lake, etc. More expensive than just renting a car, but we planned on driving some distance and I thought it worth it to be with someone familiar with the area and familiar with how to stay ahead of the tour buses. We get 6-7 hrs of his time and his vehicle for a flat rate. I am looking forward to this.

- Juneau: I am seriously thinking we will rent a car for the day from Rent-a-Wreck and just drive to many of the many of the destinations the port adventures go. Juneau does not look like a large or confusing area to drive in. Then we can hit Mendenhall, Botanical Gardens, and other sites in Juneau at our own pace. I was thinking of adding flightseeing (floatplane) but again, just not sure it is worth the expense. SO pricey!

- Ketchikan: Thinking of ditching all the excursions and going on a kayak trip with my family minus Grandma. Is that giving up too much?

By the way, my mother-in-law just spoke to Disney and they ARE doing Pirate Night for the 2012 cruises (or, at least, for ours in May). Just it's more lower-key I guess - no deck party or fireworks, but folks still dressed in pirate gear.

Just did this cruise in August of last year. Amazing stuff!

For clothing, bring layers. It rains a lot in Alaska and it can be cool, but not real cold. If you are going to be out on the deck on Tracy Arm day, you will need warm clothes and gloves to be really comfortable. I suggest long sleeve shirts, fleece and then a rain jacket.

Consider trying to get Palo for one night, at least for the two of you. It is worth the experience!

You should have time at sea to take the ship tour. I think it is called the art of the ship or something like that. Look for it in the Navigator. It is really worth the time.

Do not miss the shows. Your kids will love them.

Go to shutters early and discuss pricing and packages with them for your family. We ended up buying the CD. If we had known earlier, the kids would have had more pictures taken.

The views are breathtaking. Be prepared with your camera.

Good luck, you will have an awesome time.

Archived