"Restricted" roads from Houston to Galveston?

Laurin612

Hi all. My family and I are flying in to IAH, renting a car and driving to Galveston, where we will stay overnight before our 3/25 cruise on the Magic.

I checked the directions on Google Maps and there was a warning that said that part of this route was on "Restricted" roads. I had also heard that there are no cash toll boths--is that true? And if so, what do out of towners do?

Thankis in advance!

Hi all. My family and I are flying in to IAH, renting a car and driving to Galveston, where we will stay overnight before our 3/25 cruise on the Magic.

I checked the directions on Google Maps and there was a warning that said that part of this route was on "Restricted" roads. I had also heard that there are no cash toll boths--is that true? And if so, what do out of towners do?

Thankis in advance!

There are various ways to get to Galveston from IAH - you don't have to use the toll road. Just go east from the airport and take 59 south to the area east of downtown where it connects to 45 south and continue all the way to Galveston. Or you can go west from the airport and get on 45, go south through downtown all the way to Galveston.

Thanks in advance!

Take 59 south to 45 south for sure! Aprrox 1 hour from IAH or straight down 45 south 1/2 hour from Hobby.

No restricted high volume occupancy roads on Saturday!

Saturday the 24th......

you should not have traffic problems

unless there ia a "bad" wreck!

As would be anywhere you travel.

..... I had also heard that there are no cash toll boths--is that true? And if so, what do out of towners do?

Thankis in advance!

Tolling on most Texas toll roads is now automatic, through the use of cameras. The Toll authority takes a picture of your plate, and uses it to send a bill. In the case of a rental car, the bill obviously goes to the rental car company, who adds it to your rental charges.

Be aware that with most car rental agencies, passing through a toll booth using the automatic pay system like this triggers a daily "service fee" that the car rental company will continue to charge you (on top of the tolls) for every single day you rent the car, even if you only go on a toll road one time during your rental.

Just another mostly-hidden rip-off fee....

Tolling on most Texas toll roads is now automatic, through the use of cameras. The Toll authority takes a picture of your plate, and uses it to send a bill. In the case of a rental car, the bill obviously goes to the rental car company, who adds it to your rental charges.

Be aware that with most car rental agencies, passing through a toll booth using the automatic pay system like this triggers a daily "service fee" that the car rental company will continue to charge you (on top of the tolls) for every single day you rent the car, even if you only go on a toll road one time during your rental.

Just another mostly-hidden rip-off fee....

If you do airport exit to east and do 59 to 45 south to Galveston,

there will be no tolls. No cash required.

There is a "toll" road Belyway 8 around entire city.

Beltway is not necesseary to use, but is an option....

and seems longer in distance than direct 59 into downtown to 45 south route!

Your choice!

There is 45 route from Dallas to Houston into downtown, then 45 south to Galveston also,

but don't go west to 45 from airport. Go to 59 to east. Easier leaving airport is reason!!!!

Again Use 59 into down town then 45 South to Galveston.

No tolls!

Loop 610 around city has no tolls either.

Maps will help!

pdficon.gifHouston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

dotline.gifpdficon.gif

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

Archived