How do they allocate the tables at dinner?

The more stories I read about the MDR the more I look forward to eating in the WJ. :D

Meeting new people in the MDR and catching up each night is, at least for us, one of the really nice surprises of cruising.

We didn't expect to like it one bit prior to our first cruise and ever since we've never even considered MTD to avoid missing out on meeting new tablemates.

The more stories I read about the MDR the more I look forward to eating in the WJ. :D

First cruise I take it? Please dont cheat yourself out of the MDR "experience" because of preconceived notions.

If nothing else, choose MTD and ask for a table for two if you dont want to sit with others.

While I would never consider it, choosing to eat in the WJ for supper is certainly your choice but at least experience the MDR at least once.

Personally I LOVE the MDR and meeting new tablemates and traditional dining is one of my favorite parts of cruising. Put me at the biggest table available is my motto!

Meeting new people in the MDR and catching up each night is, at least for us, one of the really nice surprises of cruising.

We didn't expect to like it one bit prior to our first cruise and ever since we've never even considered MTD to avoid missing out on meeting new tablemates.

I agree :)

There will be 4 adults and 1 child in our group. What are the odds we will be at a table for 5 like the RCI agent said when I booked? I really dislike sitting with others. For me thats the worst part of cruising.

Based on how i read your comment, I would advise against a cruise, and you should take a land based vacation instead.

And tell me, how do you put up with the crowds, lines, and sitting next to someone at the pool?

I dislike sitting with strangers at a dinner table. For ME is it very uncomfortable. I can be shy and I don't like having to feel uncomfortable while trying to enjoy a dining experience. I would prefer a table with just people I know. Besides...you never know when you'll get sat with some snarky person. :rolleyes:

There will be 4 adults and 1 child in our group. What are the odds we will be at a table for 5 like the RCI agent said when I booked? I really dislike sitting with others. For me thats the worst part of cruising.

I realize that sometimes the idea of spending time solely with one's family can be an attraction, so chances are you will get your wish. Placing one unrelated person at a table for six or three more at a table for eight is probably not desirable either party(ies) so they will, if possible, avoid doing so. If not, speak to the maitre'd or decide to dine in the Windjammer or specialty restaurants. You might also consider choosing My Time Dining, which would increase the chances that you will dine by yourselves. Is it only in the dining situation that you don't relate with others or will the proximity of others during other aspects of the cruise cause you similar discomfort? Frankly, when we have opted to share a table with others, we have found that it has usually been a great experience and we have made a number of friends when we have done so.

It is somewhat random. They balance the tables. Don't assume that families with children will be seated together. My wife and I and our 17 y/o were seated at a table with 3 other groups; a couple in their 70's (no children), a family of 3 with an 8 year old child, and a family of 4 with a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The assumption by staff must have been that the 5 y/o and 2 y/o would not be dining...WRONG. So there the 12 of us sat at a table designed for 10 :(.

I know that I would have demanded to be moved.

When we booked our honeymoon in 1996, we were both 31, we were asked if we wanted to be seated with 20 - 30 year olds, or 30 to 40 years olds. Everybody we were seated with was within 5 years of our age and all honeymooners. One of the couples was actually sitting in front of us on the flight down there to the port from Providence RI. We have all become such great friends, that now our children are even friends.

I do believe they try to match people up if they can.

On our past Oct 29th TA from Barcelona, we had an interesting arrangement, except for one lady, we were all from Calif yet of our table of ten, two were men, one being my DH. Needless to say they didn't get to say much.:D. the one couple sat at one end with their two lady friends, DH & I sat at the opposite end and chatted with 3 of the women near us, then we had the one lady from FL. We had a great table. We decided to make the one lady from FL, an honorary Californian so guest Relations made up a sign for us that we had set up, printed it out on their Stationary and a card and gave her this on final formal night. She was so pleased. :)

the answer I was given by the Maitre D was it is based on what language the Guest declared they spoke.

THAT explains it. On our first TA they seated my wife and I at a ten-top table where the other eight were all traveling together and spoke Spanish (all Cuban refugees as teenagers). They could speak excellent English too but amongst themselves spoke only Spanish. Sort of awkward except they were very nice people (much younger than us too) and oen couple had a 4yo girl who was absolutely darling. Ended up not being bad at all but easily could have.

On our second cruise it was just DH and I sitting at a table. the other table mates were all part of one family...I think there were like 7 of them. They were all very nice and included us in their convo but I felt like we all were doing small talk for 2 hours each night only to be nice. We were 28 and had nothing really in common. This trip we will have a 20 yr old with special needs who can be socially awkward plus a 5 year old who is well...5 lol. He can just be high maintenance. I'd rather just deal with the people in my party and not have to offer small talk to strangers at dinner.

I am fine with strangers amongst me on the ship and chat just fine. Its the feeling that I "have" to interact with them that is just not appealing to me.

We have mostly been seated with families, but one memorable time, we (and our 3 young teen boys) were seated with 5 middle aged woman who were always 1/2 an hour late to dinner, or didn't show at all. After that, I started asking for a table for 5.

I think it is very random! I travel with my sister & we are in our mid 30’s

- First cruise – a single mother and teenage son

- Second cruise – 8 other couples all retired (60+)

- Third cruise – single mother w/3 young children

- Fourth cruise – 2 couples from Norway who spoke very little English and 2 girls in there early 20’s

- Didn’t matter what room or deck each was on as it was also very random.

I’m just always happy to have a table to eat at & meet new people. ;)

[quote name='ThreeDogsCruising']Meeting new people in the MDR and catching up each night is, at least for us, one of the really nice surprises of cruising.

We didn't expect to like it one bit prior to our first cruise and ever since we've never even considered MTD to avoid missing out on meeting new tablemates.[/quote]

DH & I feel the same way.

Archived