Does this tour/tranfer tour sound high?

We have limited time in Barcelona, about 1 1/2 hour for a quick tour with an airport transfer, from 7:30 to 9:45 and they are charging 495 euros for 7 people! I received this price back from a company recommended here but it seems very high to me. How does this sound?

Their email:

Either I or another excellent tour guide on my team will pick you up at your ship at 7:30 am to start your tour.

You'll tour very comfortably in a beautiful minibus (separate driver, included in the price of the tour.)

We'll be at the airport at 9:45 am as you say.

The price of your private tour and transfer to the airport is 495 Euros for the 7 of you.

For such a short amount of time this seem high to me. Do you get a guide? Cavair, Champangne

I'd also be worried if my ship arrived late and you lost the tour element.

A taxi to the airport is EUR 35 depending on number of bags so two cabs would be affordable,

I'd try and get more quotes and play companies off against each other for this EUR 300 max in my opininon

Thanks for the reply.

I would rather just get a taxi van (or 2 taxis that can follow each other because we are a family of 7 with 5 kids) and have a stop at a few sites or just one, depending on time but I wasn't able to find out if a regular taxi, one you get at the pier, would make a stop to Sagrada Familia on the way to the airport. I had asked on another post and the only replies were that it is not a good idea to make this stop.

I will ask again, has anyone used a regular taxi (a taxi without pre-booking it) to make a stop at the Sagrada Familia church then to the airport? I understand it would cost more but without a scheduled transfer planned, I can play it by ear and only make the stop if we get off the ship earlier enough.

Thanks!

That sounds like an outrageous amount. What happens if for whatever reason you can't disembark early enough, do you still owe all that money?

Regarding using a taxi and making a "stop" at Sagrada Familia...are you planning to get off the taxi and enter the church? If so, two points: There is no way I would recommend leaving lugagge in a taxi and doing sightseeing. Second, I don't think the church is open that early, and even if it is there usually is a long line to go in. If you just want to drive by I don't see why the taxi driver would care, as long as you pay what's on the meter.

They do require a deposit of $100. It seems booking a private transfer is complicated but for a family of 7, it seemed logical.

Good point about the luggage being in the taxi if we want to get out and walk around the church (I knew it would be too early for a tour inside). I have read that people did have their luggage stored in the van with private tour companies, on their way to the airport. I am now wondering if that would be a good idea? Is it more risky to leave luggage in a van of a private tour vs. a taxi I get at the pier?

I may just have to scrap the idea of seeing the Sagrada Familia unless I hear of a way to do it that is safe at a decent price.

The ship has a tour with airport transfer that I would gladly pay at this point, but your flight must be after 3:30 and our flight is 12:30.

I would feel much more comfortable to leaving luggage in a private transfer (but no valuables, like your purse, etc.), no way I would do it with a taxi you just got at the port. You don't say what company is giving you that quote( for two hours of service what they're quoting you is IMO out of bounds). I have used this company for private transfers and have always found their prices to be reasonable:

http://www.barcelonataxivan.com/

Hmmm. A taxi from Barcelona to the airport (taxis can easily take 2 with luggage) is about 30 Euros. Even if 7 people needed 2 or 3 taxis (and there are some larger van/taxis) the cost would not be much more then 100 Euros. So if you do a little math you are actually paying about 250+ Euros per hour for that "quick" tour which sounds like a real rip-off to moi. I would happily rent a van and drive you around for 1 1/2 hours for $650! A few customers willing to do this would pay for my air or cruise fare to Europe and back :)

Hank

It sounds to me like you are paying for a tour guide (maybe more than one) rather than just a driver. Probably a minimum charge.

The Sagrada Familiar is not on the way to the airport but in the other direction.

A taxi driver will take you wherever you want to go but the driver may not speak English to explain what you are seeing.

It doesn't sound as though you really have much time for sightseeing before your flight. Could you not change your travel arrangements to spend at least one night in Barcelona?

The tour company is Jose Soler with Pepito Tours. We are definitely not using them. Thanks for the advice. That really is a crazy price!

We cannot change our flights to stay a night in Barcelona at this point. Change fees would cost a lot for 7 people and the filght price on this day was much lower than the next day. Wish we could though.

Cruiseluv - I am going to contact http://www.barcelonataxivan.com/

Archived