Getting off in SBP - flying home, help!

Hello,

I've searched around both here and just in general and can't find any help for my situation. Which is this:

My family, including my 60something parents, my 32 year old sister and my 29 year old self are hopping on an NCL Baltics cruise in May to celebrate my parent's 40th anniversary. Due to vacation constraints, my sister and I are only joining for part of the voyage and are getting off the ship permanently during the second of two days in St. Petersberg.

I've read a lot about the various visa's you can get from tour companies, but I'm not sure what it is that my sister and I need. We will be in SPB less than 48 hours, but will be entering by ship and exiting by plane. We are both Canadian citizens with current passports.

It seems like the 'blanket' visa provided by tour companies is for 2 days, but does it allow for multiple entries/exits or just for that one tour?

There also seems to be a 72 hour visa available for SPB, but I can't sort out whether this supports the different entry/exit method we are having. NCL is being surprisingly unhelpful, considering we are both paying full fare for the entire cruise and haven't so much as asked for a discount (not that I would expect one, but that was a difficult story to sell to my non-cruising sis).

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The blanket visas that the tour companies get for their clients covers you only for taking the tour itself. It is not the same as getting your own visa. If you google getting a Russian visa in Canada, I'm sure you will come up with a Canadian agency that can help you. The visa application itself asks you for details on both your arrival and departure. The Russian authorities are not very easy going. I don't think you should take a chance on not having an individual visa.

The blanket visas that the tour companies get for their clients covers you only for taking the tour itself. It is not the same as getting your own visa. If you google getting a Russian visa in Canada, I'm sure you will come up with a Canadian agency that can help you. The visa application itself asks you for details on both your arrival and departure. The Russian authorities are not very easy going. I don't think you should take a chance on not having an individual visa.

I agree. You will each need a valid visa in order to fly home from Russia. You cannot use the "blanket" visa provided by local Russian tour operators in order to fly out of Russia. The "blanket" visa will only cover you while you are on a tour operated by a local tour operator.

Google!

Whether organised by the ship or a local tour operator, you can't even use the blanket visa to go off the ship & walk/taxi in St Pete's, you need to be with an accredited guide.

Its not actually a blanket visa, it's a visa-waiver. The distinction makes no odds to us, but very important to you.

So you will certainly need to fix up your own visa.

I doubt many have gone down your road, and as Bruce's post you need to check it out with our Russian cousins.

Give yourself plenty of time, I'm pretty certain its a matter of many weeks.

Easier from any other Baltic country, but I'm guessing that's not possible for you.

Or phone the boss from St Pete's & tell him you're too sick to fly, you'll see him in a week or two ;)

Good luck

JB :)

^^ above posts are correct. You best pop over to Bloor Street and speak to them in person. Here is the web site. http://www dot toronto dot mid dot ru/ . Tourist visa's for the cruisers on this board that seek private tours, are restricited. The tour people get your blanket visa for the group,and you can not leave this group when you are with them. If you wish to go into Russia by yourself, then you would need a personal visa. They are costly, they take time to process, and no longer do via mail.

You also must have a "host" confirmation, although there may be something separate for arriving and flying out immediately.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if it were me..... I would choose another exit point than Russia. (too much trouble)

^^ above posts are correct. You best pop over to Bloor Street and speak to them in person. Here is the web site. http://www dot toronto dot mid dot ru/ . Tourist visa's for the cruisers on this board that seek private tours, are restricited. The tour people get your blanket visa for the group,and you can not leave this group when you are with them. If you wish to go into Russia by yourself, then you would need a personal visa. They are costly, they take time to process, and no longer do via mail.

You also must have a "host" confirmation, although there may be something separate for arriving and flying out immediately.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but if it were me..... I would choose another exit point than Russia. (too much trouble)

Yes, each visa would be very costly. I also agree that flying out of Russia would be a hassle. It would be a different story if you were planning on remaining in Russia for a few days.

NCL's next port is Helsinki...just one day later. No visa needed. Could you fly home from Helsinki?

Archived