Flight to LA, Amtrak return to Kansas City?

gracecarmo

I don't know where to post this, but hope someone here can give me advice.

I plan to fly into LA from Kansas City, but want to take Amtrak on the return.

So far, Amtrak will not take reservations for next Feb.

According to the present schedule, Amtrak leaves from LA, with a bus connection from San Pedro. Has anyone done this?

I know the train is a bit pricey (for a bedroom) but, hey, what the heck...it would be an "adventure"!

Grace

• 2 weeks later...

Amtrak's website (http://www.amtrak.com) is accepting reservations for February 2006. I just selected Feb 28 and it's there.

I haven't taken the shuttle bus from San Pedro to LA Union Station, but it seems the most reasonable way to get from the pier. The bus picks up at the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro.

Be advised your ship will arrive in the morning, however the train doesn't depart LA for Kansas City until after 6:00pm in the evening.

Years back I took an Amtrak trip from Chicago to Las Vegas and then flew back. I had a Bedroom and it was great. The views were awesome as well. I suggest you go for it before trains in the US are a thing of the past.

Due to Amtrak's current budget crisis, I can't disagree with your statement at all. However, as an employee of Amtrak for nearly 26 years, I have to chuckle whenever I read (or hear) statements like this. I mean no disrepect, because you're right. It's just that if I had a dollar for every time I heard this statement, I could buy a Penthouse Suite on a World Cruise annually! I've actually sold tickets to the same people year after year after year who are buying the trip "for the last time.......before the train is discontinued"!

gracecarmo,

Be aware that the single bedrooms do not have any lavatories or toilet facilities in the Superliner cars, which is what you would be riding from Los Angeles. The Deluxe Bedrooms do have a lavatory and a toilet(with a shower available in the toilet compartment) within the confines of the room. For the single bedrooms, facilities are available on both levels of the car, including a public shower(one person at a time, naturally) on the lower level.

I have traveled Amtrak a few times in recent years, the longest trip being Cincinnati-Chicago-San Francisco-Seattle-Chicago-Cincinnati. It was a wonderful travel experience, with pleasant employees, interesting fellow travelers, clean accommodations, and dining car meals that were delicious. (Dining car meals are included in the price one pays when sleeping car accommodations are purchased.) And, with the excellent Sightseer Lounge Car, traveling by train makes a great way to see our beautiful country!

Enjoy!

When I traveled out west I had what was called an "Economy Bedroom" which did not have lavatory facilities. At that time they did not have them on the upper level so I made sure I booked a bedroom on the lower level. It was fine really, but I think if I were to do it again, I'd get the deluxe bedroom complete with lavatory. I once took a trip out east in the old "Slumbercoach" cars - now those were perfect for me, complete with lavatory and cheap!

Archived