Can OBC used to pay for gratuity?

kwagmyre

Question is pretty much ^^ topic, but, if I have OBC before getting on board, can I use that to pay the tips once I am on board? I mean the standard, auto-pay, $12 a day, or whatever you want to call it. I want to pay this in advance, but I want to use OBC to do it. Possible?

Question is pretty much ^^ topic, but, if I have OBC before getting on board, can I use that to pay the tips once I am on board? I mean the standard, auto-pay, $12 a day, or whatever you want to call it. I want to pay this in advance, but I want to use OBC to do it. Possible?

you can have the tips taken off your sail and sign account if you prefer to tip at the end of the cruise. This is what I do for every cruise

you can have the tips taken off your sail and sign account if you prefer to tip at the end of the cruise. This is what I do for every cruise

Besides the fact that it makes no sense to do that IMO, that wasn't the OP's question.

OP, yes your OBC can be used for the auto-tips.

Besides the fact that it makes no sense to do that IMO, that wasn't the OP's question.

OP, yes your OBC can be used for the auto-tips.

Actually I thought the OPs question is can they be used in advance before the cruise to pay tips.. no. .. though I admit the OP wrote things so confusing hard to be sure.

I want to pay this in advance, but I want to use OBC to do it. Possible?

OP dont prepay tips .. wait until you are onboard .. then the OBC can be used.

Onboard credit is just that.. cannot be used until you are onboard.

Your OBC goes on your sail and sign as a credit and your tips go on as a debit. It won't be applied directly to your tips but you can consider it as off-setting the tips. We often do look at it that way, our FCC and ES OBC is often pretty close to the amount of the tips.

Depends on what kind of OBC it is.

Do tell?? All the OBC I ever received could be applied to tips.

I often wait to book excursions until Im onboard for the same reason. Assumed no OBC could be used to book before I was onboard.

Could you explain your cryptic answer?

Actually I thought the OPs question is can they be used in advance before the cruise to pay tips.. no. .. though I admit the OP wrote things so confusing hard to be sure.

LOL... seemed pretty clear to me. And they CLEARLY were not asking if they can remove them, which is who my quote was directed to.

"... if I have OBC before getting on board, can I use that to pay the tips once I am on board? I mean the standard, auto-pay, $12 a day, or whatever you want to call it..."

Your OBC goes on your sail and sign as a credit and your tips go on as a debit. It won't be applied directly to your tips but you can consider it as off-setting the tips. We often do look at it that way, our FCC and ES OBC is often pretty close to the amount of the tips.

Best answer. Clear concise and TO THE OP's QUESTION.

Do tell?? All the OBC I ever received could be applied to tips.

I often wait to book excursions until Im onboard for the same reason. Assumed no OBC could be used to book before I was onboard.

Could you explain your cryptic answer?

I have gotten promotional OBC (from TA) that I was TOLD at least couldn't be used for tips. Not sure it that was accurate or not. I know that FCC/ES OBC certainly can, and that at least ES is refundable if you don't use it all.

Technically there is refundable OBC and non-refundable OBC. There may be a difference in how the auto tips are/can be applied to one of those categories if you don't exceed the OBC total with S&S charges. Somewhere I have never been!:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Technically there is refundable OBC and non-refundable OBC. There may be a difference in how the auto tips are/can be applied to one of those categories if you don't exceed the OBC total with S&S charges. Somewhere I have never been!:rolleyes:

Not to sidetrack your topic OP, but this is what I am curious about. On our last cruise we were able to cash out our OBC that we recieved due to price drops. On our next cruise I'm not sure how it is going to work. We have $100 for FCC and another $260 from price drops. I know we won't use all of that.

I read somewhere that you can't get cash out the OBC, but yet I have. Perhaps I can't with the FCC, but then the rest I can? How do I know if they take the $ from the FCC first or not? Also, I've read that I can use the OBC for a deposit on another cruise. Is this true?

Perhaps a better explanation of what is refundable VS. nonrefundable OBC can help me and others as well.

TIA

Archived