Two adults, two teen boys. Oceanview or Minisuite on Star??

Mooder

DH and I have done 3 cruises with our teenage DS and DD and have always chosen to have 2 connecting rooms. We wouldn't do it any way. Even though I love having a balcony, we'd prefer 2 connecting interior rooms rather than one balcony, and the cost is usually lower. With teenagers, everyone having their own beds is key and having the extra bathroom is a great plus.

My DH & I are taking our teenager daughter and 1 friend and we are getting 2 rooms. Two bathrooms, adult private time as well as teens chatting all hours of the night are reasons enough for us to do this. We got them an inside across the hall from our ocean view.

As far as the rules, we used the PCC. He booked with 1 adult and 1 child in each room but made notes that our beds would be together and theirs would be apart in the rooms we are actually staying in. He said this is done all the time.

My DH & I are taking our teenager daughter and 1 friend and we are getting 2 rooms. Two bathrooms, adult private time as well as teens chatting all hours of the night are reasons enough for us to do this. We got them an inside across the hall from our ocean view.

But could you not have accomplished this same thing by following the rules with connecting rooms and just closing the door between. I'm not saying you should or judging, just asking.

I would think if the parents are not conformable with 2 rooms one across from the other, then go with 2 insides adjoining.

The parents give up a balcony but they get the comfort of adjoining rooms with the door open . A win win or lose balcony gain peace of mind result.

Sounds like money is an issue also, who is paying? I know it is not my money so I would be all in for the haven just to have more peace of mind. <G> You know teenagers can be stressful and I think I would deserve it.

One last thing the on TA linked to the cruise deals can be reached by phone also. Some of them book blocks of rooms and may have better deal if you take 2 adjoined. I called and got our rooms this way on our Jewel trip.

Years ago we did land trips to Europe with our sons. They were in an adjoining hotel room, and it worked out well.

There were two bathrooms, everyone had a comfortable bed, and we were able to keep an eye on them.

I think that adjoining cabins on a cruise ship, would be the best solution.

But could you not have accomplished this same thing by following the rules with connecting rooms and just closing the door between. I'm not saying you should or judging, just asking.

My family is large, and we have to have 2 cabins. We've always done adjoining, but they're limited, and not always available. Trust me, NCL does not care if the adults are in one cabin, and the kids are in the other. They will tell you to "break the rules." I've always been told they have to book one adult in each room, but it is perfectly fine to have the 2 adults sleep in the same cabin.

My family is large, and we have to have 2 cabins. We've always done adjoining, but they're limited, and not always available. Trust me, NCL does not care if the adults are in one cabin, and the kids are in the other. They will tell you to "break the rules." I've always been told they have to book one adult in each room, but it is perfectly fine to have the 2 adults sleep in the same cabin.

As I stated I wasn't judging or saying anyone should.

I can't imagine how crazy it would have gotten on our last cruise had the children next to us been left on there own. It was certainly bad enough with the parents in the room, who I'm assuming eventually stopped these kids after some time. From the bangs against our adjoining wall, it only left us to assume that the kids were using the bed as their personal trampoline.

I do know the teens that were alone in a hotel room next to ours last year needed a lesson in what not to do in a hotel. There "happiness" was extremely annoying.

The only problem I have with children being separated by a hallway is that once alone the parents have no way of knowing what these kids are up to, since the hallway acts as a barrier for noise (unlike being next door).

Not saying the parents would do much anyway, as in my first example, but at least there is more of a chance if they are annoying the neighbors they are probably annoying the parents with the noise as well.

I can't imagine how crazy it would have gotten on our last cruise had the children next to us been left on there own. It was certainly bad enough with the parents in the room, who I'm assuming eventually stopped these kids after some time. From the bangs against our adjoining wall, it only left us to assume that the kids were using the bed as their personal trampoline.

I do know the teens that were alone in a hotel room next to ours last year needed a lesson in what not to do in a hotel. There "happiness" was extremely annoying.

The only problem I have with children being separated by a hallway is that once alone the parents have no way of knowing what these kids are up to, since the hallway acts as a barrier for noise (unlike being next door).

Is this a big problem, unsupervised obnoxous kids?

I recently booked an inside and a balcony across the hall and even tho I had myself and DD(13) in one room and DH and DS(20) in the other, the PCC volunteered that if kids ended up in one room and parents in the other that would be fine. If it had been DD and one of her friends, rather than her brother, I probably would have gotten adjoining rooms, just because I would worry more about two 13yo girls being able to protect themselves in a bad situation. Not sure if I'd worry so much about two 14yo boys, but can understand if other parents would.

I certainly wouldn't be taking any kids (even mine) on a cruise who I feared might embarrass the family with their bad behavior!

Laura

Is this a big problem, unsupervised obnoxous kids?

I certainly wouldn't be taking any kids (even mine) on a cruise who I feared might embarrass the family with their bad behavior!

Laura

I guess it's not a big problem to anyone who isn't affected by their behavior. I have only had this happen on our 2nd cruise, but our first cruise only had children on one side with their parents and I didn't even know they were there until we were out on the balcony the same time as them. They appeared pretty lively kids, but we never heard them when in our cabin.

I have had this on numerous occasions in hotels over my years of travel. My example above was just the latest.

Your last sentence is what my post was about. If your children were across the hall, how would you even know, unless the cabin next door complained. All parents seem to know their children and with threats in place, feel they are perfectly fine and know better (ask any teacher how little Johnny behaves in real life away from Mom's watchful eye). Kids will be kids and I would have to bet there isn't one parent that has not had to at least once in that child's life tell them to behave or settle them down. So how can these same parents who have had to do that say little Johnny is just going to be so well behaved not possibly bother the cabin next door.

The chance of me having someone's unsupervised kids next to me on a cruise ship is slim, since most do this to save money and put them on an inside, we only book balconies.

BTW I was speaking about a 20 yr old, as far as I'm concerned that's an adult and I'd have to bet that your 20 year old son is passed the age of using a bed as a trampoline or wrestling with his sibling or yelling at the top of this lungs.

We have done 2 rooms ever since my 2 became teenagers. It is just too tight to squeeze 2 adults, a 6'8" DS(17) and 5'11" DD(15), plus it normally isn't that much more for the extra room. We have done 2 insides and we have done a balcony with an inside across the hall. I prefer the balcony with an inside across the hall, but when budget comes into play, the 2 insides win out. Either way, it is nice having the extra bathroom and the privacy at night;). We won't be going back to a single room.

What would the price of one ocean view and on inside be vs the mini? Not only beds needed, but extra bath would be nice.....plus mom and dad privacy.

I can't believe I didn't think of booking a balcony + inside room across the hall. It's too late now, as all the balconies on my cruise are sold out and the inside rooms across from our mini-suite are also gone (and I really want the balcony.) Plus I'm guessing we'd have to re-book and pay current prices since we're long past our final payment. Hope my 14yo can deal with sharing that pull-out with my 8yo. :(

'DOH!!!!

Is there possibly room on the mini-suite floor for a sleeping bag for a smallish 8-year-old? We have asked for the main bed to be separated into two twin-sizes since my partner tosses & turns a lot...could we fit the little one in-between (and hopefully not step on him?)

it is nice having the extra bathroom and the privacy at night;). We won't be going back to a single room.

Thank you! Why isn't anyone mentioning this? It's not unheard of for parents to want privacy at night!

Also, if my child was unruly she'd be staying at home. She's been traveling since birth and has often given us the eye when other kids and adults act 'unruly'. She (and her best friend) want to have a good trip too.

Thank you! Why isn't anyone mentioning this? It's not unheard of for parents to want privacy at night!

Also, if my child was unruly she'd be staying at home. She's been traveling since birth and has often given us the eye when other kids and adults act 'unruly'. She (and her best friend) want to have a good trip too.

I believe I did. Way back on response #2. Yes...parents do!

I know the minisuite will give the adults more privacy and obviously the extra space and the balcony are big pluses. But what about the sleeping arrangements for the boys? If I understand correctly, in a minisuite, they will have to share the sofa bed - how comfortable will that be? But in the oceanview, they will each get a bed - one on the floor and one drop down from the ceiling.

Which would you pick and why? Thanks!

My advice would be this - on the Star, we compared prices - we, also, are 2 adults and 2 teenage boys. We found that getting 2 oceanview adjoining rooms was cheaper (or fairly close in price - I can't remember)than getting a minisuite. We have (between the 2 rooms) 4 beds and 2 bathrooms. It just made more sense for us. Hope this helps and you enjoy whatever you decide!:D

I want to thank everyone for the input. I was finally able to discuss this with the parents and they are okay with separate rooms. This opens up more possibilities! And, as many have pointed out, gives them another bathroom. I don't know yet if they will opt for 2 adjoining oceanviews or a balcony and an inside, but both are less expensive than having 4 of them crowded into a mini-suite. :) Thank you, all!

I want to thank everyone for the input. I was finally able to discuss this with the parents and they are okay with separate rooms. This opens up more possibilities! And, as many have pointed out, gives them another bathroom. I don't know yet if they will opt for 2 adjoining oceanviews or a balcony and an inside, but both are less expensive than having 4 of them crowded into a mini-suite. :) Thank you, all!

Quick update: They are going with adjoining oceanviews. Thank you once again for the help with this decision.

Archived