Ginger Root Vitamins

sukyrin

I bought these the other day to start taking before my cruise in April.

I would like some feedback from anyone if they have tried these.

The bottle says to take 2-4 capsules a day. I started with just one on the morning and one at lunch.

Have these vitamins helped any of you ?

They helped me during our freedom cruise. I swear by them. I started a couple days prior to leaving and took two a day. One at dinner one at breakfast. Seas were rough end of week and we missed a port because of it but I was fine. Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think they'll help, then they probably will.

Most folks need no vitamins at all....a normal diet is all you need. Ginger is said to help with motion sickness......if you suffer with it on land, and it helps you...great! If you don't have a problem with motion in cars, amusement rides, planes, etc....you will most likely be ok on the ship.

Are you sure those are ginger vitamins as ginger plus other vitamins in one capsule? Never heard of those.

I take ginger capsules daily when on a cruise, they help on regular days - I get sick the moment I see a boat :p

On rough days I have to take pills - Bonine (Meclezine) is my favorite.

Assuming you're talking about ginger capsules, not ginger vitamins, no need to take them now for a cruise in April. I usually start taking 2 or 3 per day, a day or two before my cruise and continue the first day, then maybe 1 per day afterwards. I also keep ginger candy (Gin-gins are my favorite!!) on hand during the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

You should look for something like this, and check ingredients to make sure nothing else is added. Sometimes they sell as "ginger" but add other herbs that are not needed.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nature's-way-ginger-root-550-mg-dietary-supplement-capsules/ID=prod6037583-product

In this case gelatin is the capsule itself, ginger is the only main ingredient.

There are also ginger candy, ginger gum - but in my opinion it adds calories and other ingredients, capsules you can just swallow any time with any drink.

I don't use anything but Ginger capsules but not all ginger is the same. Some have additives and some are not as strong as others...I use these ginger capsules

http://www.paradiseherbs.com/products/ginger/

Also you do not need to take days before ginger works almost immediately. We take ours once we get on the ship or boat. We go deep sea fishing all the time and I have yet to be sea sick.

Edited by wocheez

Also you do not need to take days before ginger works almost immediately. We take ours once we get on the ship or boat. We go deep sea fishing all the time and I have yet to be sea sick.

I will vouch for this. We were feeling kind of queasy on our sea day from Seattle to Glacier Bay. A few hours before dinner we were wondering if we'd be able to eat that night. Went to the room & snacked on a handful of ginger snap cookies I'd brought on board, and felt fine within the hour.

I'll have a box on my next cruise.

Wocheez, in your link it's extract as opposed to the dried root, did you try both? I wonder if extract works faster.

I've have found the extract to be much more potent than the dried root. I used to take the ginger you could buy at any grocery store/drug store/walmart but it didn't always seem to work. A friend of mine suggested this product and I've been using it ever since. I order mine online but most vitamin/health food stores carry it.

Edited by wocheez

If you don't have a problem with motion in cars, amusement rides, planes, etc....you will most likely be ok on the ship.

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me. When cruising, have to take Dramamine when needed.

FYI, peppermint helps too. I always have some red & white candies handy. :)

We just got off our second cruise on Freedom of the Seas, RCI. Last year we took a small 4 day cruise and I was sick the entire time! Don't even remember the cruise! It was miserable!!!!! I even wore the patch! This time I started the ginger Wednesday before we cruised along with Bonine. Did the ginger 3 times a day and bonine at night! I was PERFECT! One right we had a very high sea probably 20 ft waves! I did end up in the room eating green apples, but never got sick! I actually think my stomach was bad from the beer and burger in St. Martin and not the seas. I even noticed riding in the car and plane that it helped! I might even try this for roller coasters and see how it works ;)

• 2 years later...

I see someone started taking the ginger root caps a couple days before the cruise. Anyone else do this? I was so close to just getting the scope patch but the risk of side effects doesn't really seem worth it. I think I may just stick with ginger, maybe some OTC med and my left over Zofran just in case.

I take ginger capsules daily here at home for health reasons, as well as having fresh cooking ginger, ginger tea, and candied ginger/ginger candy. Never been seasick in the past, so I should be well set for this trip! As long as I don't forget to pack my ginger, ha.

The capsules can give heartburn if you don't drink enough liquids with them, or lie down immediately after.

I see someone started taking the ginger root caps a couple days before the cruise. Anyone else do this? I was so close to just getting the scope patch but the risk of side effects doesn't really seem worth it. I think I may just stick with ginger, maybe some OTC med and my left over Zofran just in case.

I always start 2-3 days before the cruise, with 1 or 2 capsules a day. I also take them 2-3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs" - dizziness after the cruise is over.

Lie down after taking ginger? Never done that.