Transatlantic on Equinox

LisaH

I was looking at the 2012 TAs on Celebrity's website and found this itin. I am hopeing they offer it next year (or similar). I like how it ends in Rome and we could stay extra days there and do a day trip to Pompeii.

Has anyone done this itin? The Azores also sound really nice. This itin is on the Equinox for Fall 2012. Let's hope they offer it for Fall 2013.

Thanks in advance...

Fort Lauderdale

6 day transit across Atlantic

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Sea

Sea

Cartagena, Spain

Barcelona

Provence

Florence

Rome

Not sure what you are looking at....the Equinox is doing a west bound TA in November 2012 from Rome to FLL. Normally the east bound are in the spring.

This was a sample from 2012...maybe I got it wrong. Either way would be okay with m e. I am just patiently waiting for 2013. :)

I was looking at the 2012 TAs on Celebrity's website and found this itin. I am hopeing they offer it next year (or similar). I like how it ends in Rome and we could stay extra days there and do a day trip to Pompeii.

Has anyone done this itin? The Azores also sound really nice. This itin is on the Equinox for Fall 2012. Let's hope they offer it for Fall 2013.

Thanks in advance...

Fort Lauderdale

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Sea

Sea

Cartagena, Spain

Barcelona

Provence

Florence

Rome

I'll be doing this on April 16, 2012.

Not sure what you are looking at....the Equinox is doing a west bound TA in November 2012 from Rome to FLL. Normally the east bound are in the spring.

Okay, you are right. This is a Spring cruise...so maybe I will have to wait until Spring 2014...which would not be terrible.

Okay, you are right. This is a Spring cruise...so maybe I will have to wait until Spring 2014...which would not be terrible.

I am on the 16 April voyage too. She will do a Westbound crossing from Rome on 26 November with the only change to the itinerary being the final European port being Funchal instead of Ponta Delgada.

Ponta Delgada is indeed beautiful.

I don't think Celebrity has released their 2013 transatlantic schedules yet but whether on Equinox or another ship there should be a similar itinerary for both Spring and Winter.

I am on the 16 April voyage too. She will do a Westbound crossing from Rome on 26 November with the only change to the itinerary being the final European port being Funchal instead of Ponta Delgada.

Ponta Delgada is indeed beautiful.

I don't think Celebrity has released their 2013 transatlantic schedules yet but whether on Equinox or another ship there should be a similar itinerary for both Spring and Winter.

Is Funchal part of the archipelago that is the Azores?

Thanks in advance...

Fort Lauderdale

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Sea

Sea

Cartagena, Spain

Barcelona

Provence

Florence

Rome

Enjoy planning your trip. However, a day trip from Rome to Naples to visit Pompeii would probably leave you little time to actually tour Pompeii.

Maris

Enjoy planning your trip. However, a day trip from Rome to Naples to visit Pompeii would probably leave you little time to actually tour Pompeii.

Maris

Well by that I mean we would be staying in Rome for a few nights post cruise and would go to Pompeii one of those days. There are several options available and everyone appears to say you can do it in a day althought it is a long day which is fine.

We were in the Azores on last year's TA to Southampton and will be there again on this year's TA to Rome. It's a nice day of sightseeing, but honestly nothing spectacular...we may not even get off the ship this time, other than to walk around on land.

If you are looking for a more interesting TA, I would suggest finding a fall TA that takes the northern route and stops in Iceland (might not be celebrity).

Well by that I mean we would be staying in Rome for a few nights post cruise and would go to Pompeii one of those days. There are several options available and everyone appears to say you can do it in a day althought it is a long day which is fine.

I would stay around Sorrento and spend 3-4 days in that area, the Amalfi Coast. If you haven't taken a ferry over to Capri, it's also well worth it.

We were in the Azores on last year's TA to Southampton and will be there again on this year's TA to Rome. It's a nice day of sightseeing, but honestly nothing spectacular...we may not even get off the ship this time, other than to walk around on land.

If you are looking for a more interesting TA, I would suggest finding a fall TA that takes the northern route and stops in Iceland (might not be celebrity).

Did you take a 4x4 Jeep Ride excursion throughout the island? It is really beautiful. Great excursion!

If there is one where we can end in Rome or include Naples. Pompeii is our must see.

Your suggestion is excellent if we can get Rome as an end point or have Naples as a port.

We did this itinerary last May on the Equinox TA. Had a great time -- probably our favorite cruise out of the 30+ we've taken. Azores were beautiful but once was enough for us. We stayed two nights in Rome at the end of the cruise. Did a terrific "Rome in a Day" tour with RomeinLimo.

We did this itinerary last May on the Equinox TA. Had a great time -- probably our favorite cruise out of the 30+ we've taken. Azores were beautiful but once was enough for us. We stayed two nights in Rome at the end of the cruise. Did a terrific "Rome in a Day" tour with RomeinLimo.

Okay, thanks. I know that Funchal and/or Azores are the least of our concern and either one would be fine. Rome or Naples is our must have. So if we decide to do the Westbound (Rome to FLL) that would be fine too. But waiting for Spring 2014 won't be a problem either given October to May or April is not that long.

Celebrity seems to have the best TA itins (so far) in my opinion.

If there is one where we can end in Rome or include Naples. Pompeii is our must see.

Your suggestion is excellent if we can get Rome as an end point or have Naples as a port.

Many people drem of seeing Pompeii, but after a couple of trips there, I have to say that I much preferred Herculaneum, which was destroyed by he same 79AD eruption of Vesuvius. Smaller and much better preserved--you could get a much better feel for how they really lived, walk inside the homes (instead of peering in through grates as in Pompeii) etc.

Many people drem of seeing Pompeii, but after a couple of trips there, I have to say that I much preferred Herculaneum, which was destroyed by he same 79AD eruption of Vesuvius. Smaller and much better preserved--you could get a much better feel for how they really lived, walk inside the homes (instead of peering in through grates as in Pompeii) etc.

I think the private tours will take you to both but that is good info. Getting closer is a good thing...

If you are planning to stay in Rome for a few days post-cruise the eastbound is nice because you arrive rested from the easy time zone changes and save the jet lag for the return trip home. We really enjoyed that TA on the Equinox - nice ports - Cartagena and Toulon were nice surprises and Florence was wonderful even in the pouring rain.( so glad we had rain gear:))

Excellent suggestion. My suggestion would be, if at all possible, to do both. They are both worth seeing and being able to visit both would really give them a better feel for the ruins.

Anne

Okay, thanks. I know that Funchal and/or Azores are the least of our concern and either one would be fine. Rome or Naples is our must have. So if we decide to do the Westbound (Rome to FLL) that would be fine too. But waiting for Spring 2014 won't be a problem either given October to May or April is not that long.

Celebrity seems to have the best TA itins (so far) in my opinion.

Don't discount Funchal, Madeira. It is one of our favorite places and so beautiful, especially when the flowers are in bloom. There is also Blandy's and some other vineyards (in shops) where you can buy the famous Madeira wines. This year's transatlantics have not included Funchal for some reason on the ones we've looked at. All Azores (been there, done that several times). We have been to Funchal many times and never get tired of it.

Don't discount Funchal, Madeira. It is one of our favorite places and so beautiful, especially when the flowers are in bloom. There is also Blandy's and some other vineyards (in shops) where you can buy the famous Madeira wines. This year's transatlantics have not included Funchal for some reason on the ones we've looked at. All Azores (been there, done that several times). We have been to Funchal many times and never get tired of it.

Equinox this Fall is stopping in Funchal. This was changed -- originally it was scheduled for Ponta Delgada.

Take flashlights for Pompeii. Have a wonderful trip. You might want to check out Herculaneam on the same day.

Maris

Equinox this Fall is stopping in Funchal. This was changed -- originally it was scheduled for Ponta Delgada.

We enjoyed the madiera and buying lace close to the port in the lovely town.

However, we took an island bus tour and have never seen so many starving dogs.

Maris

Awesome! I did not mean to sound like I am discounting them...it is just not our priority so either one would be okay with us.

Thanks!

Archived