Cruises visiting Venice.

blackpool belle

When you sail into Venice it's worth getting up early to go on deck. The first time we went we were lucky enough to arrive at mid-day and the sight as we got closer and closer to the lagoon was amazing. It never fails to amaze me how such huge ships can navigate such a narrow channel.

St Mark's and the entrance to the Grand Canal is on the starboard side as you sail in but the island of Guidecca is on the other side and there are also beautiful buildings on it. The cruise terminus is about 20 minutes or so sail beyond that and there will almost certainly be several other cruise ships there at the same time. The ship usually 'reverses' out of the dock before the sail back down the channel and reaching the open sea again.

If you look at Venice in google maps, and zoom in on St Mark's, you'll see the line for the ferry port marked Tronchetto and that's the course the ship will follow to the port (marked as Bacino Stazione Maritime). Enjoy yourself in Venice.

When you sail into Venice it's worth getting up early to go on deck. The first time we went we were lucky enough to arrive at mid-day and the sight as we got closer and closer to the lagoon was amazing. It never fails to amaze me how such huge ships can navigate such a narrow channel.

St Mark's and the entrance to the Grand Canal is on the starboard side as you sail in but the island of Guidecca is on the other side and there are also beautiful buildings on it. The cruise terminus is about 20 minutes or so sail beyond that and there will almost certainly be several other cruise ships there at the same time. The ship usually 'reverses' out of the dock before the sail back down the channel and reaching the open sea again.

If you look at Venice in google maps, and zoom in on St Mark's, you'll see the line for the ferry port marked Tronchetto and that's the course the ship will follow to the port (marked as Bacino Stazione Maritime). Enjoy yourself in Venice.

Thanks for the info and useful information.

BB .... A few years ago we went into and out of Venice on the Brilliance of the seas, the aft deck from a Sunlounger was the best way to see it ...:D

That said we had been there before for 3 nights ... :)

Rather than one side or the other get a forward or aft cabin.

Get an aft balcony then you can see both sides.:cool:

Tried one of those before and didn't care for it.

what was the issue,

We like them(aft)

no wind when in motion

better views(ships withcorner even better)

saleaways

sailing east great sunsets

love the sound of the wake

some ships you get bakery smell wafting up.

Hello,

I (nearly) always book a mid-ship balcony and I wanted to make sure I was on the side that faces St Marks Square entering into Venice. Also I wanted to be docked in the correct position to watch the "comings and goings" of life in Venice when I am not ashore.

I agree the aft balconies have their own merits especially corner ones but I much prefer to be centrally situated in mid-ship.

Hello,

I (nearly) always book a mid-ship balcony and I wanted to make sure I was on the side that faces St Marks Square entering into Venice. Also I wanted to be docked in the correct position to watch the "comings and goings" of life in Venice when I am not ashore.

I agree the aft balconies have their own merits especially corner ones but I much prefer to be centrally situated in mid-ship.

You won't see any comings and goings when docked, unfortunately, as the ship docks around the back of the lagoon, out of sight of the city.

Make the most of your visit, as the authorities are contemplating cutting back number of visitors and cruise ships, due to the damage both are causing the fragile lagoon.

Archived