going to bars & not drinking

4spring

Woah- there is seriously a rule on this? That sure isn't enforced.... kids run around (not necessarily misbehaving) all the time without supervision.

You will note lots of rules aren't 'enforced' on board - this is no different I guess? :)

By golly, there is a rule about kids in the bars/lounges:;)

Lounges, shows, and the dance club: Guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship. Guests under the age of 18 must vacate the dance club by 10:00pm. Guests under the age of 18 may not attend the Midnight Shows, which are "R" rated.

They are also not allowed into the adult comedy shows no matter whether you think they are OK (I think these started about 9:45 so not sure if that is what they meant by the midnight shows...I haven't seen a midnight show in years)...18 and over. And at 10:00 PM there is a security guard at the door of the disco and they do card, so if you are at or around that age or look young, bring your ID.

I have also seen security come into the piano bar and ask groups of kids to leave. I don't think it is bad if you bring a child in there, but I think after 10:00 there shouldn't be kids in any of the bars that are specifically lounges, I am not referring to the atrium area and such.

Yes children are allowed in the piano bar. This had never occurred to me!

When we were on the Inspiration in December I picked up my kids at Camp Carnival at 10pm one night and swung by the piano bar so they could say goodnight to my husband and our friends - I would have loved to sit down and let them listen for a bit, but I was thinking "bar" = "no kids". Turns out it would have been fine.

Next time we sail the Inspiration they will definitely come with us to the piano bar for the first hour at least one night - we have Seth's CD and they love his music, so it will be a treat for them to hear him play. We'll just clear out before things get spicy. ;)

Woah- there is seriously a rule on this? That sure isn't enforced.... kids run around (not necessarily misbehaving) all the time without supervision.

The key words are "adult area", kids under 18 are allowed everywhere else on the ship unsupervised. Some may not like it, but there ya go. There are lots of rules that aren't enforced, that's true. In the case however, of people not drinking needing to give up their seats to people that are...THERE IS NO SUCH RULE...so going back to what the OP asked...yes he can sit in the Piano Bar and not drink. It's his choice if he wants to do so...but there is no rule that says he has to.

The key words are "adult area", kids under 18 are allowed everywhere else on the ship unsupervised.

It didn't say adult areas. It says public areas.

That's why I was surprised- as I've seen many unsupervised children around the ship, and it doesn't even appear there is lip service given to the rule, like chair hogs and kids in hot tubs. There are at least signs, and occasionally a staff member who will do something if asked.

Posting this just so people's heads may explode.

http://youtu.be/MRkYEoiDtfc

Seth performing in the piano bar, child sitting at the bar, she brought her virgin drink in with her while her parents sat close by, everyone enjoying the music.

I think Mike the drink police just likes to argue.

Thanks Skitt for posting the rule. Thats great. Those rules are certainly doable for me. More than likely we wouldnt stay 10 or 15 minutes & I wouldnt dream of going to the adult comedy show with her. Heck I dont even enjoy those. Language turns me off. My gd wont be running around ship unattended as shes very shy.

Personally, I don't think kids (especially younger ones under 12) belong in bars on the ship.

I remember on a former cruise we were watching the kareoke (I know I didn't spell that right!) in one of the bars and there were a couple young kids in there with their parents. They were probably 8-10 years old. The host wouldn't allow some of the singers to sing songs they had chosen because of the lyrics and the fact that there were a couple of kids watching. They wouldn't have sensored like that if the kids weren't there.

Adults can't go in and have fun in the kid/teen venues, I don't think kids should be in bars that are basically for adults.

Posting this just so people's heads may explode.

http://youtu.be/MRkYEoiDtfc

Seth performing in the piano bar, child sitting at the bar, she brought her virgin drink in with her while her parents sat close by, everyone enjoying the music.

I think Mike the drink police just likes to argue.

Yes indeed Mike loves to argue when he knows he is right.

Where I live I have never seen a child sitting at a bar( and by the way its illegal too)

Ohh yes its my cruise and I will do what I want mentality ;)

Personally, I don't think kids (especially younger ones under 12) belong in bars on the ship.

I remember on a former cruise we were watching the kareoke (I know I didn't spell that right!) in one of the bars and there were a couple young kids in there with their parents. They were probably 8-10 years old. The host wouldn't allow some of the singers to sing songs they had chosen because of the lyrics and the fact that there were a couple of kids watching. They wouldn't have sensored like that if the kids weren't there.

Adults can't go in and have fun in the kid/teen venues, I don't think kids should be in bars that are basically for adults.

Yes indeed Mike loves to argue when he knows he is right.

Where I live I have never seen a child sitting at a bar( and by the way its illegal too)

Ohh yes its my cruise and I will do what I want mentality ;)

Well, it's CCL's ball and they disagree with both of you;).

We do not drink, and all we ever had to say was no thank you and we enjoyed shows, the piano bar, comedy shows... everything. We would typically bring a coffee with us and that indicated to the staff we were all set and they left us be.

By the second night the MDR staff would have coffee ready for us and the drink guy would always say hi to us by name while serving drinks to the other six in our party that did drink.

All not drinking did for us was save us a TON of money :)

PS - We would only go to a bar if there were other reasons to be there such as the piano player... and the kids did not go with us....

We don't drink alcohol, but sometimes we'll order something else. Other times we may have one with us already. All entertainment is included in the cruise price, so everyone has a right to enjoy it any time. As for kids, I think that depends on the entertainment and the behavior of the other guests. We've seen kids enjoying the piano bar, etc., with their parents many times.

We generally don't order drinks, period. And yes, we go to any of the lounges. If we get really good seats, we get really good seats. I have just as much right to be there as someone who is drinking--after all, they can drink pretty much any place on the ship--whereas the piano bar is one of the few places to listen to someone playing the piano....

We do the piano bar, the comedy club, the karaoke, sometimes the lounge that has live music, we've even gone to the disco once to listen to the DJ.

• 1 year later...

I will be the first one to admit that most of my cruise there is always a drink in my hand....but that doesn't make me any better than the person not drinking....I've had to stand at bars...stand and wait for tables...if a person is enjoying themselves then who am I to tell them to move? that would make me rude and thats just not cool....now I will admit that I have seen people "asleep in bar chairs" but I'm pretty sure they weren't being a chair hog I think they just passed out....heck I take naps on the lido deck does that mean I'm not allowed to have a chair?

Its really not hard to understand and by the way I do understand the different opinions including yours:)

Drinkers should have more rights than non drinkers in a BAR.The piano bar is not open to be a free lounge for listening to music.Its open to sell beverages PERIOD.Like I said before they do not pay for staff to work at a bar for fun .They want revenue,thats the only reason the bar is open.Whats so hard for people to understand

But they hold Friends of Bill meetings in the Piano Bar.

And by the way on the Destiny and it's descendants there isn't even a bar in the Piano bar.

But they hold Friends of Bill meetings in the Piano Bar.

And by the way on the Destiny and it's descendants there isn't even a bar in the Piano bar.

I stilll do get the friends of Bills meetings ,but also understand the bar business

Not all the venues are open for fun or should be for meetings !! All of the drink waiters/waitresses are not hanging around the piano bar for fun !!! They are working expecting to make money

The piano bar is part of our fare but the staff should not work for free or minimal salary and rely on tips that are not their

A glass of water takes energy to bring!!!

Some who have never held hospitality jobs will never understand ;)

Im sorry to say if you dont want to drink why go to a bar.Would you do this at home? Would you drive to a bar, be seated and not order a single thing.You would be asked to leave for loitering

I go to the bar because that's where the Entertainment is. I want to hear the music. I want to relax. I would go to a land based bar if there's entertainment I want to hear. If forced to order a drink I get an OJ or seven-up. I'm on meds and drinking would be deadly. I would prefer water. No bar should legally allowed to force liquor on a non drinker if they have entertainment.

The Piano Bar, like all other venues on the ship, is open to EVERYONE over 18 years old. However, you must be 21 to drink. Therefore, you are allowed to be in any venue you like to simply enjoy the entertainment. No drink purchase is required and in many cases, like my upcoming cruise, two out of three of us will not be ALLOWED to drink. Should my daughters not go into any venue, then? Should I have to go everywhere alone? I don't think so!

If I'm lucky enough to find seating for us in the Piano bar, I plan on sitting there for as long as we want.

Archived