First Princess Cruise, What Should I Be Sure To Check Out?

Solorca1

My fiance and I have been on many other cruises in the past, but this is our first experience with Princess. Obviously from our other experiences, we've scoped out the better places to sunbathe/swim, the dining options, room service menus, tips, tricks, etc. What we are curious about are the types of things that make Princess unique? I have seen vague mentions of a champagne pour and street performers, but they aren't discussed much on this board, so I'm not sure if they are things that are still around, or worth seeing in the first place? In addition to these types of things, what are some "can't miss" things that Princess offers that we should check out?

We will be leaving on the Emerald Princess a week from tomorrow, on a long 10 day cruise..so it should be fun. The only thing we're a little worried about is that at 31 and 26, we'll be much younger than most people on the ship.

There is a Champagne Waterfall on Princess. It includes the opportunity to get a glass of what is generally considered to be "Gut Rot" champagne. I think it is usually on a formal night. It will be in the Princess Patter

Have you checked out this thread?......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260835&highlight=secrets

See you on the ship!

Yes, I have and I have taken note of a number of the items. What I'm asking for however are things that Princess as a whole offers that are unique in comparison to the other cruise lines.

The only true way to tell is doing what you are doing now. Most of what you will see written here is very subjective. I just went on a 10 day cruise to Panama. I felt very young on the cruise and found many things to do. Kept busy with things on the ship and in the ports we went too. My wife and I are just now reaching or 60's but we are very active.

Go on your cruise and then compare it to the others you have taken. Each cruise line is unique and each ship is unique. Hope you have loads of fun like we did on our 10 day cruise. You only get out of it what you want to put into it.

My fiance and I have been on many other cruises in the past, but this is our first experience with Princess. Obviously from our other experiences, we've scoped out the better places to sunbathe/swim, the dining options, room service menus, tips, tricks, etc. What we are curious about are the types of things that make Princess unique? I have seen vague mentions of a champagne pour and street performers, but they aren't discussed much on this board, so I'm not sure if they are things that are still around, or worth seeing in the first place? In addition to these types of things, what are some "can't miss" things that Princess offers that we should check out?

We will be leaving on the Emerald Princess a week from tomorrow, on a long 10 day cruise..so it should be fun. The only thing we're a little worried about is that at 31 and 26, we'll be much younger than most people on the ship.

At 31 and 26, you will certainly be in the minority! On our first Princess cruise, we were 57 and 58 and we were probably in the bottom 50% of the age range!!! :eek: DH and I were also in the minority as far as NOT being retirees and also for being on our first Princess cruise! Don't worry about it...just do what you like to do and have fun! (But don't expect a lot of late night activities)

You should try to take the Ultimate Ship Tour, it's really great! Once you get onboard, go right to reception and tell them you would like to be put on the list. If you are chosen, you get a great "backstage" type tour and lots of goodies!

(Sorry, I can't remember what the charge for this was)

Another thing to try is the Chef's Table Dinner($95pp). If you are interested, call the Dine line, once you get to your cabin and ask to be put on the list. It's great! In our opinion, it was well worth the money.

Bon Voyage!!

At 31 and 26, you will certainly be in the minority! On our first Princess cruise, we were 57 and 58 and we were probably in the bottom 50% of the age range!!! :eek: DH and I were also in the minority as far as NOT being retirees and also for being on our first Princess cruise! Don't worry about it...just do what you like to do and have fun! (But don't expect a lot of late night activities)

You should try to take the Ultimate Ship Tour, it's really great! Once you get onboard, go right to reception and tell them you would like to be put on the list. If you are chosen, you get a great "backstage" type tour and lots of goodies!

(Sorry, I can't remember what the charge for this was)

Another thing to try is the Chef's Table Dinner($95pp). If you are interested, call the Dine line, once you get to your cabin and ask to be put on the list. It's great! In our opinion, it was well worth the money.

Bon Voyage!!

Thanks for the tips. I think we are going to try to do the Ultimate Ship Tour!

I will admit to being worried about being younger than most on the ship, but I don't expect it to ruin our experience. We were in line with the ages of most people on our last cruise (Carnival) and didn't really enjoy most of the "fun" activities.

While you are on the cruise, go to the Future Cruise desk and buy Future Cruise Credits (at lease one per person). They are $100 each and can be used as the full deposit for future cruises (i.e. $100 deposit vice the normal 20% deposit). You also get an Onboard credit up to $50 on that future cruise so you get half your money back!

After several princess cruises I still feel like we have yet to do everything, so definitely keep that in mind.

My DH and I are in our mid 30s and tend to be the younger ones when we cruise, but it really makes no impact.

The champagne waterfall is a fun, interesting little event, you should definitely check it out, it is a whole party atmosphere in the atrium area. I like Princess for the elegant feel so one of my favorite things that I won't miss is afternoon tea, espcially the fresh scones with cream and jam!! I love it!

I think the champagne waterfall is cool, they usually do it in the Piazza on the first formal night.

We've done the chef's table a couple times. It is a very nice experience if you aren't a picky eater, with the price up to $95 per person I think that is kind of high now.

If you have a balcony room you might want to try either the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, $50 per person and I think a better deal than the chef's table, but a very different experince. Also available is the Champagne Balcony Brunch, I think that is $35 total.

I like watching movies at the pool during the day, they also play movies at night along with popcorn.

If you have traditional dinner in the aft dining room, a nice place to go for a predinner drink is Adagio, the bar next to Sabatinis. Then you have an easy elevator ride down to the dining room rather than through the crowded walk way back from the Piazza.

I have seen vague mentions of a champagne pour and street performers, but they aren't discussed much on this board, so I'm not sure if they are things that are still around, or worth seeing in the first place? In addition to these types of things, what are some "can't miss" things that Princess offers that we should check out?

Welcome to Princess! :)

Don't miss the tour of the galley towards the end of the cruise (usually on a day at sea). It will be mentioned on the Princess Patter.

The champagne pouring takes place on the first formal night and you'll have a photo taken which you can purchase later on.

If you like tea, then don't miss the afternoon tea from 3:30-4:30pm in the main dining room.

Don't worry about the age, you'll be fine. :)

Princess usually has a pretty good clearance sale of some of their logo items. Time & place will be mentioned in the Princess Patter. Sometimes it's in the dining room, mid-morning, but I've also seen it held in the atrium.

The street performers are in the atrium, near the International Cafe, at various times throughout the day. Jugglers, string quartets, and a really amazing Cirque-du-Soleil-type acrobat duo, that we saw on the Emerald last April.

Definitely the Ultimate Ship Tour! A bit pricey, but worth every penny, IMHO.

Try breakfast and lunch in the MDR. You can ask to be seated alone or with others. Same wonderful service in an elegant atmosphere as dinner, but with a whole different menu. Love, love it.

Make use of the coin laundry and save space in your luggage for those something special souveniers. Or, just enables you to take less luggage. (I do bring my own detergent sheets.)

Order something decadent from the room service menu.

Have fun! We love Princess.

After several princess cruises I still feel like we have yet to do everything, so definitely keep that in mind.

My DH and I are in our mid 30s and tend to be the younger ones when we cruise, but it really makes no impact.

The champagne waterfall is a fun, interesting little event, you should definitely check it out, it is a whole party atmosphere in the atrium area. I like Princess for the elegant feel so one of my favorite things that I won't miss is afternoon tea, espcially the fresh scones with cream and jam!! I love it!

Is this tea available every afternoon & on all ships?

[/b][/size]

Is this tea available every afternoon & on all ships?

Yes it is! Well, except embarkation day... :p And if, for whatever reason, they decide not to have afternoon tea, it will be noted in the Patter.

i would suggest that you check out the wheelchair, scooter and walker races they have 2 times per cruise. You should also check out bingo. The prizes are the possessions of the passengers who died on the previous cruise. So they can be hit or miss.

i would suggest that you check out the wheelchair, scooter and walker races they have 2 times per cruise. You should also check out bingo. The prizes are the possessions of the passengers who died on the previous cruise. So they can be hit or miss.

Thanks for the laugh! :D

You should lest try once

1 - Movie under the Stars

2 - Pizza on Lido deck

3 - International Cafe

4 - Sitting on the Aft at sunrise or sunset

5 - If the Panama Canal , sitting in the Lido Restaurant

watching the Canal transit.

6 - The shows

Others might have other suggestions

My wife and I love the triva games, the Princess Pop Star finals (some very talented singers) and especially the marriage game show (can really be funny). You may want to enter it for a good laugh. Also, do try to enjoy all the entertainment on board. The singers and dancers work hard and put on good production shows. The comedians are

usally good to. Also being younger you may want to get involved in the pool games they usually have daily. And don't forget the "Movies Under The stars". Just go and have a fantastic time, age doesn't matter when everyone is having a god time. You may just meet some good old folks!

You should lest try once

1 - Movie under the Stars

2 - Pizza on Lido deck

3 - International Cafe

4 - Sitting on the Aft at sunrise or sunset

5 - If the Panama Canal , sitting in the Lido Restaurant

watching the Canal transit. -- WHILE EATING LOX! In the Locks, of course. ;)

6 - The shows

Others might have other suggestions

That's what I did on my last cruise! :D

I'm 34 and my wife is 29. We felt as if we were the youngest couple on board in July when we were on the Golden in Alaska. Alaska cruises tend to skew a little older. So do longer cruises over 7 days. You will probably be one of the youngest couples on the ship. We met many very delightful people on board that were older than us and we had a great time with all of them. On our curise there were a number of families, parents in their 40s with tween kids. Kids and teens were all well behaved everywhere we went. It was actually kind of amazing.

At your ages, and ours also, if you do meet anyone on board that is close in age there is a good chance that they are either sailing on their parent's or grandparent's dime or paid a 3rd/4th person fare to bunk up with parents or relatives.

The quietest pools on board are the Terrace Pool overlooking the wake of the ship and the Lotus Spa pool. The two center pools are usually the hub of activity and attract the most passengers and kids. The Terrace Pool and Lotus Spa pool are supposed to be adults only, but that is not universally enforced.

Princess is known for their pizza, you have to try it. You'll find the pizza bar up on the Lido deck at one of the midship pools. It is usually located close to the burger and hot dog bar. They also have great burgers and hot dogs. The ice cream stand is ok. Our experience with their ability to make shakes is not so positive. We found that the employees at the ice cream bar didn't seem to know how to make a thick milkshake and it was more like drinking a very good glass of chocolate milk. I guess I always see the world as being half full (not half empty) when I'm on a cruise.

Dining room food is much better than buffet food. Take the time and dress appropriately for meals and you'll be so much happer with dinner and other meals served in the MDR. We had the nicest breakfasts and lunches in the MDR, so it is well worth putting on some decent looking clothes to eat there. Some folks I know that sail with Princess eat almost exclusively in the buffet, however my wife and I completly shunned the buffet on our last cruise and couldn't have been happier for doing that. I stronly recomend anytmie dining for your MDR dining pleasure. Traditional schedueled dining just doesn't work for us because we like to come and go from dinner as we please.

The International Cafe, which I think the Emerald has, but don't mark my words, has the nicest variety of pasteries, deserts, sweets and grilled sandwiches throughout the day. If you want something quick that isn't buffet food, go there. That is also where you'll get your brewed coffee and speciality coffee drinks. If you like your morning late or mocha, you'll definitly want to get the coffee card when you get on board. If you have a coffee habit it will save you a bit of money on your cruise, those individually sold espresso drinks add up quick on your onboard bill.

Look for the Pub Lunch on a sea day. The Patter will tell you when and where it will be located. It is complimentary and is a very nice sit down meal. They serve things like fish and chips, bangers and mash, and shepards pie. It is a nice diversion from regular lunches on board.

Since you already indicate that you found that some of the "fun" activities on Carnival weren't that enjoyable, then I think you'll probably like Princess. Princess is elligant, but not stuffy. They market their ships as resorts on the seas and I think they hit the mark pretty well.

Archived