1 day in Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy!

shareen3

Well... I technically have 12 hours.

My cruise will be arriving in Livorno on May 15th from 7am-7pm. Its my first time here and I know I cannot see everything in such a short time... Can anyone reccomend my must sees or direct me to any 1 day itineraries they have found.

Thanks!

Florence is a beautiful city. I've been there twice and still have not seen Pisa. IMO, I would suggest you definately get a ticket to the Accademia in Florence to see David. I would not go to the Uffizi as you won't see it all and you will miss a lot of other things in Florence.

You could sign up for your roll call to see what others are doing in Livorno and try to join a shore excursion there.

Or you could do Florence on your own with the cruiseline which gives you transportation into Florence and about 6 hours free time. I would get your ticket to the Accademia for somewhere around mid-day so you are sure not to miss the time. There is a line if you don't have a ticket. You do pay a few euros more to reserve but it is worth it to avoid waiting in line. Florence is very easy to get around and a very walkable city. The main sites are close together.

My tip would be join your roll call and get on with a private car/tour, or book your own and get others to join to make a party of 5-7

We had actually one hour less than you. It was tight, roughly from memory...

7:30 off the ship, almost first off, RIL was there wait a bunch of other private vehicles. Way before the big bus cruiseline tours which were still gathering in various meeting places on the ship!

8:30ish at Pisa, 30' or so walking around Field of dreams, 9-9:30 climbed

10:30ish left for florence. My old dad took a bit longer to climb :o

11:15 or so visit a church overlooking Florence

11:40 Academia, pre-reserved tickets for Academia and David. Was good didn't take any pictures as requested... :o

12:15-1:30 ish Lunch and St Croce

2:00 Dumo/gates and Ponte Vecchio

3:30 Gelato stop :D

Busy, full/crazy day and hit the iconic places. Not deail but the kids and parents saw all the biggies!

Bad traffic 5:30 ish back at the ship...with 30' or so to spare, tighest port.

My cruise will be arriving in Livorno on May 15th from 7am-7pm. Its my first time here and I know I cannot see everything in such a short time... Can anyone reccomend my must sees or direct me to any 1 day itineraries they have found.

Thanks!

898236650_4280_TopofPisa.jpg.701ac85a673e9f9b42a89748acf182f7.jpg

4330_Florence.jpg.00bec88f9d174ad118a34de1af8ee5ae.jpg

21248477_4400_FlorenceSantaCroce.jpg.a24d70546af3e707c30c5fcb77ebf200.jpg

404241195_4430_FlorenceDumo.jpg.1b8cb1fd6fa53c013ea3a6b645e0af62.jpg

1721857492_4470_FlorencePonteVecchio.jpg.5f266fe6cd7d7694eff8704002e4cbba.jpg

I see you are posting the same question for every one of your port stops. Have you joined the roll call for your sailing to see what others are doing?

Suggest you do some basic research first yourself. Purchase a good guidebook such as Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise Ports. Read up and see what you are interested in doing. Visit tripadvisor.com and go to the appropriate forum for each city and start reading.

Then, come back when you have a specific question that someone can help you with

Chipmaster & Baseball Fan

Thanks for all the info! I will be looking into the roll calls. I'm sure it will be hectic trying to fit in all the major sites to see between Florence & Pisa so I will have to settle on a few... & a Gelato stop is a must! :)

Thanks for your input Rugrat, its obvious what I meant was both in Florence & Pisa.

Will be there in October - and having the same debate (Florence & Pisa or just Florence). At this point we are thinking of taking the ship transportation into Florence and doing the city on our own. We will be there on a Monday - so the museums are closed - more time for gelato I guess!

-Lisa

Here is another good web site to read: http://www.cruisereviews.com/port/120/Western-Mediterranean/

Thanks!

Will be there in October - and having the same debate (Florence & Pisa or just Florence). At this point we are thinking of taking the ship transportation into Florence and doing the city on our own. We will be there on a Monday - so the museums are closed - more time for gelato I guess!

-Lisa

Hi Lisa

I was there on a Monday too, and took advantage of the extra time to hammer the gelato :)

If it's any interest I did this :

(Viewable Worldwide) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWBgQlgQ3E

(Viewable everywhere except US, Canada and Japan)

(There are 2 versions of this because the second one, with my preferred music, is blocked in some countries, but the images and information are identical on both)

Climbing the Duomo cost €8 each and is hard work but traffic problems (single file at the bottlenecks) give you a breather every now and then. The reward of the views from the top is worth it.

All the best, Tony

(a great fan of Naples Florida)

Archived