Car Rentals for Cruisers

7Flags

We (4) are doing Hawaii in August on NCL-POA and want to rent a car at each port. Honolulu off the plane for 2 days then at each port off the ship. Any experience, advice? Use a "service" or go direct to the Car Rental Co? What about parking overnight when the ship is in port at Maui and Kauai? :confused:

After countless hours of searching for a rental car while we're on the islands, I have found Thrifty to have the best deals. Especially if you want a convertible!

:cool:Bill

Good to know. I havn't driven a convertible since my college days. It will make "the bride" and me feel young again!

Thanks for discouraging me to post!

I think the poster was not discouraging you to post but to encourage you to do a search before posting. ;)

There are tons of car rental threads on the Hawaii board - right now three of the first 5 are about car rentals. It's a lot or repetition of the same basic data.

Thrifty prices are pretty good....especially is you use the discount code of

HT14004118. Also, join the Blue Chip.....lines are shorter. I orginally booked without this code and when I called them to give the code I got $25-$35 off each rental.

HT14004118. Also, join the Blue Chip.....lines are shorter. I orginally booked without this code and when I called them to give the code I got $25-$35 off each rental.

Hi Debbie,

What exactly is Blue Chip? And what is the purpose of signing up for it? Just wondering as I have seen it mentioned a few times in various posts with regard to car rentals.

Thanks for any info.

I just became a Blue Chip Member so I can't offer information first hand...only what I read on here. I read that you have shorter lines to wait in and perhaps no line to check out your car. So, if anyone else can tell us about the Blue Chip Program, we would appreciate it. Thanks.

just a word of advice from my research, check on the gas prices. I told my husband i thought we could rent a car for a few of our ports and after looking at the gas prices, he said we could be spending $50 or more a day on just gas. We decided to book tours instead for Hilo and Kauai. We did book a rental car Maui, but you might want to look at the current gas prices before you decide to book your rental car.

just a word of advice from my research, check on the gas prices. I told my husband i thought we could rent a car for a few of our ports and after looking at the gas prices, he said we could be spending $50 or more a day on just gas. We decided to book tours instead for Hilo and Kauai. We did book a rental car Maui, but you might want to look at the current gas prices before you decide to book your rental car.

Jen, Good advice,

Thanks! :)

Well, I have searched and you can tell me to 'go search myself' as often as you like, but I will still post my specific question! Lots of the posts either don't answer specific questions or are months to years old. So give us a break, thank you very much.

OP- I too am wondering about parking in Kauai and Maui. Really looking forward to an answer as those are our 2 overnight rental ports.

Also, I have read (in my searching) that if you do Thrifty Blue Chip online booking you may be charged for a second driver. I will phone on Monday to add my DH before we leave to avoid an extra charge.

Lastly, good code debster, thank you!!

after learning about Blue Chip here, we joined Thrifty and used Thrifty exclusively.

We rented cars on every island we stopped at and that Blue Chip saved us time. Oahu the shuttle driver let us (and the 4 people with us) get on the shuttle before anyone else - there must have been 70 people waiting - many didn't get on the shuttle. Then, when we got to the rental counter, on all the islands, we didn't have to wait on the line, we had our own check-in line.

also, just to butt in with my own 2 cents - I have invariably been frustrated using the search engine- post after post come up that are unrelated to my specific questions if anything comes up at all.

I had forgotten about the shuttle drivers asking about blue chip - guess I should have piped up then!

OP- I see you are traveling in August. I will come back here and post where we parked on Maui and Kauai when we return in a month.

Hawaiian discounts- you get the same discount as the one Debster's code gives. By using the code instead with Thrifty yourself you are able to do it on the Thrifty website with the blue chip programme. It's the best price I have run into yet.

I went to book with Thrifty online and the only location option I saw in Maui was at the airport. Did you call for your reservation? Even Hertz, who I normally use, doesn't mention anything about shuttles to the ship. (say that fast 10 times...)

Any info appreciated.

Renting a car on any of the islands is made very simple by the cruise lines. We were on the Pride of America in August of 2011, and I found the prices to be affordable, and the logisitics of it all was great.

I wrote a blog about the trip, and the rental car process at my blog in my signature below if you 're interested.

The only word of caution I would have is to reserve it prior to getting there. I did find that some of the agencies, did not have many large SUV's available when I got there with my party of 6.

We have rented cars on two islands with Thrifty but didn't join the Blue Chip club because I see they ask for a credit card number. If the ship doesn't dock for some reason, would we be charged. Without joining, we have a reservation, but no credit card.

We have rented cars on two islands with Thrifty but didn't join the Blue Chip club because I see they ask for a credit card number. If the ship doesn't dock for some reason, would we be charged. Without joining, we have a reservation, but no credit card.

we weren't able to dock at one of our ports and there was no charge.

Archived