Anyone booked Denali TWT directly thru park with/ hotel pickup?

hubble

We canceled our included NHT and were looking at booking the Toklat shuttle in the afternoon after we arrive, but then found out their is no hotel shuttle running late enough back to the hotel that evening. Even though this would have been our preference, it is just seeming like to much of a hassle. I'm now just looking at booking the TWT tour directly thru the park service for pickup at 1:30p at the Princess lodge since they will bring us back at the end of the tour. Booking through Aramark is only $123 vs. $155 thru Princess plus we have NPS annual passes so we get the $10 entrance fee refunded.

So my question is for anyone who has booked directly this way. Is there any difference in the buses, the seats, the tour? Is the box lunch still included? Is there Any reason we should pay the extra $ and make the reservation thru Princess instead?

Princess doesn't have buses in the Park; only Aramark has that contract so the additional money you're paying is a fee to Princess for making the reservation.

If you're able, it's about a 1 mile walk from the park to the hotel. It's safe! Another option ... ask the driver to announce that 2 passengers need a ride back to Glitter Gulch. Or chat with people on your bus at all the rest stops. There will be many people with cars so it's easy to find a ride. There's also a taxi service. http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/transport/

For anyone interested in the walk to Glitter Gulch, this entrance area map gives you a good idea of the area. Glitter Gulch is in the top right corner across the river from the park.

The shuttle and tour buses use the Wilderness Access Center. You can either follow the road from the WAC to the hwy, or, a quicker option is to pick up the Jonesville Trail.

We camped at Riley Creek Campground (marked on the map) and used the trail to/from the WAC; it took less than 10 minutes.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/Entrance%20Area%20Trail%20Map%20rev%202009.pdf

Thanks for the map. I've been looking all over the park website for something like this. Walking from the WAC via the jonesville trail to the Princess lodge, what's your time estimation? We not hikers but in good shape for walking. I'm also assuming it will be plenty light outside @ 9 - 10pm at the end of May.

The Park web site has loads of info but it's not intuitive as to where to find things. I use the Search button a lot as a shortcut.

I'd say your walk would be 5 times our distance to the camp. It took us less than 10 minutes and my mother was 80 so we weren't exactly fast :) so it might take you 40 minutes. We were an all 'girl' group and didn't worry about taking the trails.

The only negative would be weather ... it wouldn't be a pleasant walk if it was cold and raining. In which case, call a cab. Or make friends with your bus mates. Or stick out that thumb!

I went to Toklat on my first trip to Denali. Loved it! It's at the start of prime bear viewing so hopefully you'll have great sightings. Hungry bears and fresh green grass sounds like a good combo.

It is a simple matter, to book a TWT direct. Pick your time, date, pick up.

I actually ran an estimate distance from princess to the Access Center, and it was well over a mile and half, remaining on the sidewalk and not short cutting. I measured via my car. I would allow 30++ minutes.

Have you tried to find out about taxi service??? IF it is available, then I would have a prearrangement.

Thanks to the many postings here, we cancelled our PRINCESS Natural History Tour and just this week booked directly with ARAMARK for the Tundra Wilderness Tour that picks us up right at the PRINCESS DENALI LODGE!

Two adults for the Tundra Tour $226.50

Thanks to the many postings here, we cancelled our PRINCESS Natural History Tour and just this week booked directly with ARAMARK for the Tundra Wilderness Tour that picks us up right at the PRINCESS DENALI LODGE!

FYI if you had booked the shuttle bus to Eielson it would have cost about 1/3 of that and you would go further into the park (more chances for bear sightings, especially after early June).

FYI if you had booked the shuttle bus to Eielson it would have cost about 1/3 of that and you would go further into the park (more chances for bear sightings, especially after early June).

$68.00 for 2 adults.

Some people can't manage the extra effort for the lodge shuttle buses. So the tour buses are their choice.

This board is superb for accurate detailed information that these crusetour people didn't have when they booked. At least they have significantly improved their Denali access, which they wouldn't have had any clue about, if they hadn't done further research. :)

This board is superb for accurate detailed information that these crusetour people didn't have when they booked. At least they have significantly improved their Denali access, which they wouldn't have had any clue about, if they hadn't done further research. :)

True, and all I am saying is that they could significantly improve their Denali access even more :)

• 1 month later...

I just spoke to them today and they said: I had to gert my own way there??? Please direct me...

I'm very glad to see this thread!

Napunani wrote of scheduling directly with ARAMARK. I also saw that we could be picked up at 1:30PM directly at the Denali Princess Lodge for the TWT. Same tour - for about $30 less. Seems like the only way to go. Is there anything I'm missing?? Any glitch to this?? (Why the heck would someone book directly with Princess??)

It would seem to me that you could spend money on a cab to get you to the Wilderness Access Center to take the park shuttle (the cheaper one, not the TWT). You could also pre-arrange a cab back at the end of your day. The cost of both cabs would be a lot cheaper than the cost of the TWT. Plus, you go further into the park and can get off when and for as long as you want if you do the park shuttle.

Archived