Jewelry Shopping in Ketchikan

jan15

I know they have coupons and the like on the ship, especially if you go to the port shopping talks. I'm sure they also have "50% off" specials. Standard markup in the jewelry industry is 400%, so even at 50% off, they make a good profit. Skagway also has a bunch of those stores - I think it's Diamonds International and Columbian Emeralds, among others.

Alaskadude - When I lived in Skagway, you could buy everything a tourist could possibly conceive of, but I had to drive to Skagway to buy my kids a pair of shoes. Hopefully, Ketchikan isn't going in that direction! Do you have a Walmart yet?

And I am glad it is. It caused a lot of controversy at first. That was my indocrination into public speaking. Next I'll learn how to spell. I actually

got up and spoke out in favor of Walmart at a number of city council meetings. Of course the oldmoney retailers in town were against it. But after the Ketchikan Pulp Mill shut down and we lost hundereds of high paying blue collar jobs what were folks supposed to do. Ketchikan's economy still has not recovered from the loss of the pulp mill jobs. The only sector of the economy that has grown is tourism. And jobs like I have in that sector pay an average of $10.00 per hour to start. And they only last 5 months a year. So what would you do? Pay $6.00 for one pair of underwear from your overpriced local retailer? or get 6 pair for $6.00 from Walmart? Same brand. Wow, that was a nobrainer.

Back to jewlery. YES!!!! They discount. My daugther worked for one of them

the summer before last. It was owned by some people from INDIA. She said as soon as they bring out the calculator you are getting ready to get taken to the cleaners. Big discounts!!! 90% off!!!! Going out of business sales that

last 3 or 4 years!!!! Real live rubber totem poles made by real Alaska Natives

now living and working in China!!!! Coupons for everything!!!

We got it all for sale here in Ketchikan....

A lot of the Jewelers are from St Thomas and St Maarten. This year they are bringing up huge stocks of Diamonds, Alexandrite, Rubies, Opals and Emeralds. From the huge amount of jewelry being shipped up there to stock the stores this is a good year to get a good bargain. However shop and compare prior to your trip so you can make a more informed decision.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Wow!!! That's what I want a souvenir of my Alaska vacation that was imported from the Carribean. Or however you spell it. Like I said, they got DEALS!! If they

can't sell it down south they bring it up north. Big discounts. If you are looking

for real jewlery from Alaska head over to Poker Creek Gold on Creek Street and

buy some real gold nugget jewlery that really is from Alaska.....

No kidding, bearbait! Actually if I had the money, I wouldn't buy jewelry (well, maybe a nugget or two) when I could buy a new boat motor, a new kayak, a fancy digital camera with a 400mm stabilized lens, a gps that plugs into the computer, a new halibut rod, lots of Ray Troll t-shirts, some antique native handicrafts, etc, etc, etc........!

I think you're right about the proliferation of jewelry stores in the Alaska ports. They have a big winter season in the Caribbean and then move everthing up here for the summer season.

How about a new pair of ExtraTuffs(ketchikan snickers) another pair of duct

tape to patch up the rainsuit, and this year a new suction dredge as I intended

to do some prospecting up by Fairbanks at the end of the summer hopefully before freeze up. I like nuggets. Oh well, I'll probably just settle for a new pair

of windshield wipers. The proliferation of jewlery stores is almost like the plague.

Once they get in they just keep growing.....

Markbuck, right now we are booked on the Spirit for June 21, 2006. We booked early but we wanted four cabins close together. Alpharetta too, what a small world!! Where in Alpharetta - I am a real estate agent so I know the area real well.

Janet

Markbuck, right now we are booked on the Spirit for June 21, 2006. We booked early but we wanted four cabins close together. Alpharetta too, what a small world!! Where in Alpharetta - I am a real estate agent so I know the area real well.

Janet

Hey, Janet. We live in Hillbrooke which is off of Abbotts Bridge/120.

Thank you for the tip about true Alaskan jewellery. I would like to buy something authentic to Alaska....Ketchikan is my designated shopping port so over to Creek Street I shall go.

:o I will be going to Wal-Mart as well.....just for the t-shirts and to say that I've been to a WM in Alaska. I just had to do the same thing in Hawaii. Call me a Wal-Mart groupie...I don't mind!

Hopefully the quilt store is open too....I'll be there May 22

I love your banter...keep it up!

Thank you for the tip about true Alaskan jewellery. I would like to buy something authentic to Alaska....Ketchikan is my designated shopping port so over to Creek Street I shall go.

:o I will be going to Wal-Mart as well.....just for the t-shirts and to say that I've been to a WM in Alaska. I just had to do the same thing in Hawaii. Call me a Wal-Mart groupie...I don't mind!

I love your banter...keep it up!

The Dockside Gallery in Ketchikan looks like a great place for Alaska souvenirs - has anyone been there? Here's a link to their website -

http://alaskanart.net/

Do you know the name of the quilt store and where it is? Just can't pass by a quilt shop! I already plan on stopping at the the one in Skagway called Changing Tides Quilt Shop (or something like that?).

Yes, Brunolvr and Cantwait.. that is the name of the quilt store. Have a look at their website, it looks really interesting.

There are two quilt stores in Juneau. One in the Senate Building and one 7 miles from the pier, near the airport.

Cantwait....are you sure the quilt shop in Skagway is still there? I don't have my info with me here at work, but I had contacted a quilt store in Skagway by e-mail and she told me that she had recently moved to Juneau. I will confirm later this evening for you.

I know how you feel...I cannot pass up a quilt store either. Do you make quilts? I do, and am also a 'stash builder' ! My dh even knows what a fat quarter is...at least I was able to teach him something, LOL.

Thank you, Brunolvr, for the link to the Alaska Art as well.

We are really easy to fine. We are located in the valley about 7 miles from docks and downtown. We are about a block from the airport at the Airport Mall. So any taxi driver knows where we are. We are located at 9131 Glacier Hwy. Suite 7. We look forward to seeing you. Give us a call when you get into town if you have any other questions.

Linda

RainTree Quilting

907-789-4751

Juneau

I have moved my shop to Juneau and I am located right on the main street in the Senate Building. Since I am new to Juneau, many of the shops will not even know there is a downtown quilt and needleart shop. ...but I am here.

I'm at 175 S. Franklin...Juneau...although the capital is a small town compared to places in the lower 48 and Canada. You should have no problem finding anything in downtown Juneau.

New number is: 907 523-6084

This is the response I received when I contacted the quilt store in Skagway!

So there seems to be two quilt shops in Juneau. I know that I'll be visiting them!

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!.......................Joyce :D

Do you know the name of the quilt store and where it is? Just can't pass by a quilt shop! I already plan on stopping at the the one in Skagway called Changing Tides Quilt Shop (or something like that?).

According to the 2005 Skagway Visitor's Guide, these are the 2 quilting stores:

http://www.alaskastitching.com/aboutus.htm

http://www.rushintailor.com/

We are really easy to fine. We are located in the valley about 7 miles from docks and downtown. We are about a block from the airport at the Airport Mall. So any taxi driver knows where we are. We are located at 9131 Glacier Hwy. Suite 7. We look forward to seeing you. Give us a call when you get into town if you have any other questions.

Linda

RainTree Quilting

907-789-4751

Juneau

I have moved my shop to Juneau and I am located right on the main street in the Senate Building. Since I am new to Juneau, many of the shops will not even know there is a downtown quilt and needleart shop. ...but I am here.

I'm at 175 S. Franklin...Juneau...although the capital is a small town compared to places in the lower 48 and Canada. You should have no problem finding anything in downtown Juneau.

New number is: 907 523-6084

This is the response I received when I contacted the quilt store in Skagway!

So there seems to be two quilt shops in Juneau. I know that I'll be visiting them!

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!.......................Joyce :D

Try going to Rain Tree Quilting's website:

http://raintree.homedns.org/~raintree/

Dang it, I would just buy another dog......but then I would have to buy the dog food, and just one more sled, and BTW, I need new harnesses and some cable line and some duct tape....when you have duct tape, why would anyone need jewerly.....well, add another pair of Carharts,and a pair of fishing boots for the dog yard in mud season....and, and, and, a gold pan to buy it all with....:)

Archived