Jewelry Shopping in Ketchikan

jan15

Wow, thanks everyone for all the quilt store info!:) This will be my first cruise & first time to Alaska so it's nice to know right where everything is. No time wasted searching for the stores.

Ladysail2 - Yes I am a quilter,too! Although with 2 teens and a bunch of animals to care for I don't get much time to quilt. Love to pick up fat quarters when we go on trips, and then when I use them in a quilt it makes the quilt that much more special. Must be your DH is more trainable than mine! He doesn't even know that "that pile of cloth" is actually termed a stash!

Well, time to go check out all those links you all provided!:D

Brunolvr....that is the store that moved from Skagway to Juneau and is located in the Senate Building. I had also seen that site in the Skagway Visitor's Guide.

The Raintree Quilt store is located in Juneau as well, but about 7 miles from the pier, closer to the airport. Yes, the Rushin Tailor is still located in Skagway....oh so many stores, so little time.

I realize Alaska is more than for shopping, but I need that little fix too! And it keeps the local economy happy too :D Have to balance the whopping amount I've spent on shore excursions with shopping....

Cantwait.....your time will come when the kids are gone and animals are old and slow...and you can quilt at your pleasure. I have to admit that I am enjoying that stage in my household. And my dh is a rabid, avid train enthusiast so he has no option but to 'enjoy' my stash building....you should his 'stuff' LOL :D

Anyone....I also would like to know directions to the Wal-Mart in Ketchikan.

Just a big thank you to everyone who is so helpful on these boards.

I phoned Wal-Mart, and there is a shuttle between the pier and Wal-Mart, free except for tips I presume. It starts around 9pm and works on an hourly or so timetable. I saw this in Hawaii as well. Alot of the crew go to Wal-Mart for their personal and preferred items.

I hope there are taxis at the pier because Wal-Mart opens at 7 am, and I hope to get there and back before a tour that starts at 9:30am. Busy day for me.

Hope that helps with those that want to know.

There are plenty of Taxis in Ketchikan. I don't think they can park on the dock

or pier anymore because of security concerns. Look over on the curbside by the

tunnel. Or across the street in front of Annabelle's. I would take the taxi up to

Wal-Mart. The shuttle is usually crammed with cruise ship crew members and I

hate to say this but they can get rude and pushy trying to get on the shuttle.

It seems to be very popular.

Jan 15: Our lst & last visit to Ketchikan was in '99. My wife loved the stores and ended up up-grading her tanzanite ring at Caribbean Gems. She previously purchased several items from their store in St. Maarten. Their prices were very good and they gave her credit for what she paid for her old ring. It was around the 3rd week in August and they were beginning to sell off their stuff at an end of season sale. Have fun...

John L.

Archived