New Royal Princess

tiecrane

Actually it just turns it down. But save a room key from any hotel from short trips out of the cabin...

The cabin air space is small enough that in most climes it should be able to recover temp in less than 30 mins with balcony closed and a fully functional unit.

OH NO!!!! :eek::mad:

Environmentally friendly room key activates lights and air for all cabins.

So your cabin will be unairconditioned/heated until you return.... nope, that sucks.

But save a room key from any hotel from short trips out of the cabin...

The cabin air space is small enough that in most climes it should be able to recover temp in less than 30 mins with balcony closed and a fully functional unit.

Why should I. 30 minutes??? Not acceptable.

The turbines pump out more electricity than the ship can use....

Those "key activated systems" are very popular in Cuba BTW. :p

The more draw on the turbines the more fuel they consume, it's not a matter of over production. Less fuel burn equals lower costs and less emissions.

Even in a land hotel I turn off the AC if leaving the room for a few hours or more, its just wasteful.

The more draw on the turbines the more fuel they consume, it's not a matter of over production. Less fuel burn equals lower costs and less emissions.

Even in a land hotel I turn off the AC if leaving the room for a few hours or more, its just wasteful.

Well you're more than welcome to it. I think it stinks

I am not paying top dollar so I can come back to a hot cabin every time I hit the pool, buffet or what ever. We're in and out of our cabin all the time when we cruise.

When I travel two stars I expect that sort of thing.... oh wait, maybe the Royal is only going for two star accommodation :p:(

Actually it just turns it down. But save a room key from any hotel from short trips out of the cabin...

Well, I hope so and even that isn't great. I get warm very easily and sleep with the room very, very cool. I'm going to be curious to read what folks who sail her have to say. As much as I want to sail on her this could actually make me change my mind.

Well, I hope so and even that isn't great. I get warm very easily and sleep with the room very, very cool. I'm going to be curious to read what folks who sail her have to say. As much as I want to sail on her this could actually make me change my mind.

Yup, I was looking forward to it and made FCDs on our cruse in January so we could book it next year...

A room that I can't control the temperature 24/7 while I'm aboard is a deal breaker.

Others may like a 30 minute acclimatization but I won't put up with it even once.:mad:

2 star AC

If you don't like this system you will pretty much have to stop traveling at some point as every single major hotel brand is putting them in new builds and refits and I know at least RC, Celebrity and now Princess are doing it aboard cruise ships. This is in direct response to people setting their rooms at 65 degrees then heading out for a day in port or in town with the blinds open so they can come back to a freezing room after 8 hours...

And if you hate these you will hate the newer hotel systems coming out, which use a combination of infrared and motion sensors to tell when someone is in the room and you can't override with another card. You should start seeing them in 6 months or so.

Also, please note that these slots do not turn OFF the climate control. Instead they set it to a more moderate temp until a card is reinserted (72 in the summer and 68 in the winter is the default setting of the system I am used to). They DO turn off all lights in the room usually but one.

Edited to add - I expect the cruise lines to adopt the IR/Motion even faster than hotels since they can also be used to identify occupied cabins in an emergency situation.

What I'd like to know is, will the Royal have the standard flimsy shower curtains or sliding glass doors? The diagram of the deluxe balcony cabin shows a glass door but the 7th picture has a curtain it.

I don't think you're going to know that for a while. The picture definitely shows a curtain.

Based on the pictures and descriptions it looks like suites have glass, regular cabins curtains. Not sure on mini-suites.

What I'd like to know is, will the Royal have the standard flimsy shower curtains or sliding glass doors? The diagram of the deluxe balcony cabin shows a glass door but the 7th picture has a curtain it.

Pia...just back from the Sapphire...any good info that I missed about deck plans & costs for the Royal's TA? I'm guessing that the 15th is still the date when bookings will be accepted? :confused:

We have prices...well launch fares, but no deck plans

Interior....$1,699

Balcony....$2,299

Mini....$2,799

Suite....$5,899

No prices for the deluxe balconies yet

We have prices...well launch fares, but no deck plans

Interior....$1,699

Balcony....$2,299

Mini....$2,799

Suite....$5,899

No prices for the deluxe balconies yet

Thanks...those appear to be the same prices that were released on the 2nd just before my cruise. And because the Sapphire's free access to the Princess website was not functioning, it cost me minutes to check the Princess website for any updates.

I asked the Sapphire's future cruise consultant about the Royal & I gave her the links posted on CC to the brochures because she hadn't received any info on the Royal nor the cabin recategorization info. :eek:

It sure would be nice to see the price for each category & a deck plan...only 5 more days before they are suppose to be available to book. :eek:

Where did you learn that removing the cardkey from its station only turns down the air conditioning? The air conditioning seems to be the major concern for a lot of people.

I have seen these "key activated systems" in hotels in Europe as well. I have also seen motion activated corridor lights in Europe.

If you don't like this system you will pretty much have to stop traveling at some point as every single major hotel brand is putting them in new builds and refits and I know at least RC, Celebrity and now Princess are doing it aboard cruise ships. This is in direct response to people setting their rooms at 65 degrees then heading out for a day in port or in town with the blinds open so they can come back to a freezing room after 8 hours...

And if you hate these you will hate the newer hotel systems coming out, which use a combination of infrared and motion sensors to tell when someone is in the room and you can't override with another card. You should start seeing them in 6 months or so.

Also, please note that these slots do not turn OFF the climate control. Instead they set it to a more moderate temp until a card is reinserted (72 in the summer and 68 in the winter is the default setting of the system I am used to). They DO turn off all lights in the room usually but one.

Edited to add - I expect the cruise lines to adopt the IR/Motion even faster than hotels since they can also be used to identify occupied cabins in an emergency situation.

I was in a 3* hotel in Paris in 1999 and it had sensors to turn off the air conditioning when the window was opened.

Archived