Current Cruise Directors (CD) List - UPDATED

DonnaK

New to crusing (1st RCI last spring) next up April...GOS

Why is it important to know who the Cruise Director is; does he do something special - or if you know him it is an advantage? I see the same where the captains are listed, but I've never found out why.

Are some better than others?

I did not feel the person in this role last year interacted with any guests AFTER the "entertainment" was over; for instance, running into him on the elevator he did not speak or anything.

Just curious.....being new at this and all:confused:

Guess there is no way of knowing if Mike Hunnerup will be on the Vision in June?

Not unless someone on the ship now asks him how long he is staying.

Usually, a CD's contract is 4 months on, and 2 months off. However, there are many variations, so that's not a golden rule.

New to crusing (1st RCI last spring) next up April...GOS

Why is it important to know who the Cruise Director is; does he do something special - or if you know him it is an advantage? I see the same where the captains are listed, but I've never found out why.

Are some better than others?

I did not feel the person in this role last year interacted with any guests AFTER the "entertainment" was over; for instance, running into him on the elevator he did not speak or anything.

Just curious.....being new at this and all:confused:

A dynamic cruise director can make a huge difference in the onboard experience, particularly the fun factor. Richard Spacey was the cruise director on our last cruise, and he is simply brilliant, and exemplifies why a cruise director is so important to the sailing. I would absolutely seek out a cruise he was on in the future, as well as a few other outstanding CDs such as Leigh Xuereb or Dennis Charles.

Part of the reason we cruise is for the entertainment and activities. We love the 70s party, karaoke, Quest, Love and Marriage, trivia, sudoku, etc. Some CD's are great singers, play musical instruments, are great comedians, have a commanding stage presence, etc.

The same event can either be a dud or wildly enjoyable depending upon who the cruise director is. He/she is the heartbeat of the ship! We've been on the same ship under two different CD's, and the contrast between the same activities was unbelievable.

Even if you don't partake in the activities or care about the entertainment, many of your cruisemates do, and if they are positively occupied and happy, it has a trickle down effect on everyone. Especially if you are on a cruise with cold weather, or rainy weather, or many sea days....you don't want everyone just moving about aimlessly and bored. We had Jimmy Rhodes on a cold-weather cruise where the outdoor decks were closed much of the time, and there simply wasn't enough going on to keep the people busy, or to inspire fun. The activities staff lacked enthusiasm under his leadership, and it really showed.

Well, the info you gave me a while back said that Amy isn't returning until June 1. So, it's highly likely that Ricky is staying until then, and that's what I am going with for now. But, I don't have official word from the ship, or from Ricky. I'm just going on the info from Amy that you posted.

Is Ricky on social media, where someone can contact him directly and confirm this?

Or, can someone sailing on Oasis on March 30 (0or later) please find out from Ricky how long (exact date) he will be on the ship?

I'm on OA this Saturday. I'll try to get an update from Amy.

WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW THE CD'S NAME , AND WHAT DO THEY DO. TAKE PITTY ON ME AS I'VE NEVER CRUISED BEFORE . BRENDA:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The cruise director organizes all the activities for the week on the ship. You don't really need to know the CD's name, they don't make or break your vacation.

However if you have experienced a few of them in the past you might want to know who is on your upcoming trip. Some are funny while others can be annoying.

I didn't think a cruise director was important to my cruising experience until a recent cruise onboard the Voyager of the Seas.Our CD was Graham Seymour and I found him extremely funny.The day after disembarking Voyager I boarded Radiance of the Seas and I found that cruise quite dull.I missed the laughs.

Regards Elaine.

A dynamic cruise director can make a huge difference in the onboard experience, particularly the fun factor. Richard Spacey was the cruise director on our last cruise, and he is simply brilliant, and exemplifies why a cruise director is so important to the sailing. I would absolutely seek out a cruise he was on in the future, as well as a few other outstanding CDs such as Leigh Xuereb or Dennis Charles.

Part of the reason we cruise is for the entertainment and activities. We love the 70s party, karaoke, Quest, Love and Marriage, trivia, sudoku, etc. Some CD's are great singers, play musical instruments, are great comedians, have a commanding stage presence, etc.

The same event can either be a dud or wildly enjoyable depending upon who the cruise director is. He/she is the heartbeat of the ship! We've been on the same ship under two different CD's, and the contrast between the same activities was unbelievable.

Even if you don't partake in the activities or care about the entertainment, many of your cruisemates do, and if they are positively occupied and happy, it has a trickle down effect on everyone. Especially if you are on a cruise with cold weather, or rainy weather, or many sea days....you don't want everyone just moving about aimlessly and bored. We had Jimmy Rhodes on a cold-weather cruise where the outdoor decks were closed much of the time, and there simply wasn't enough going on to keep the people busy, or to inspire fun. The activities staff lacked enthusiasm under his leadership, and it really showed.

i was chatting with Ricky today on facebook Amy will be back on june 1 2013.

i was chatting with Ricky today on facebook Amy will be back on june 1 2013

Thanks NCB106, we had confirmed that Amy was returning from her break on June 1, 2013. What we need to confirm now is that June 1, 2013 will be Ricky's last day on The Oasis. We have been trying to locate Ricky on all social media, how did you find him on FB? Please share.:)

Ok, now I get it. and certainly understand. Like I mentioned (but wont mention a name) I went on a cruise last year and the CD was very dynnamic and funny while "on stage" but as soon as he walked away I thought another personality came out~ no interaction with any guests as he was moving about. I thought that a big strange but then again he had an entertainment background and perhaps that is how they act, or not act!

So anyone know Rico du Breil of GOS - upbeat personality? entertaining? interactive and fun? Will be sailing on April 24 from San Juan to Balt. with 6 island stops in E. Carribean.

Thanks for the info!:)

Ok, now I get it. and certainly understand. Like I mentioned (but wont mention a name) I went on a cruise last year and the CD was very dynnamic and funny while "on stage" but as soon as he walked away I thought another personality came out~ no interaction with any guests as he was moving about. I thought that a big strange but then again he had an entertainment background and perhaps that is how they act, or not act!

So anyone know Rico du Breil of GOS - upbeat personality? entertaining? interactive and fun? Will be sailing on April 24 from San Juan to Balt. with 6 island stops in E. Carribean.

Thanks for the info!:)

Actually, Jimmy Rhodes is supposed to be on the repositioning sailing, beginning April 21

Cds are like Maitre Ds. In general, the less you see of them the better. We have had only one really good cruise director on all of our cruises. We have had a couple we thought were really bad (annoying as Yorkvillain said), and he rest have been okay but nothing special.

I hope Graham will be with us on the FOS 10/20/13 cruise.

Graham is not returning to Freedom. He posted that himself a few pages back, so it's reliable info. He was there for three years, which apparently is the maximum allowed.

The new "regular" CD of Freedom is Richard Spacey (unless your cruise happens to fall during one of his breaks, then we have no info yet on who will be his regular fill-in)

Marc posted on FB today that he would be the Enchantment CD from June 7 - Nov. 25

Adventure OTS - Anthony Richards started January 6 (until sometime in April) Clo O'Connor will be covering the break (April through July, exact dates unknown at this time) *Drew Devine will be joining Adventure in July

Allure OTS - Allan Brooks started February 24 for approximately 2 months to cover, then Ken Rush expects to return from his break.

Brilliance OTS - Mercedes Fuentes started January 26, then Paul Lancaster beginning March 31

Enchantment OTS - John Blair started Jan 14 (until when?) *Marc Walker from June 7 - Nov. 25

Explorer OTS - Richard Spacey started February 1st until April 7 to cover Leigh Xuereb's break. Leigh will return as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine January 6 though April 14, then Richard Spacey (Richard is arriving on April 7, so there will be a week's overlap)

Grandeur OTS - Rico du Breil started Oct 26 (until when?) *Jimmy Rhodes will be the regular CD for a few contracts when Grandeur moves to Baltimore (April 21?)

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton started November 22 until March 16 and returns May 26 through early September (Who will be filling in for Joff from March 16 through May 26?)

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) starts Jan 5 until March 21, and again from July to Sept (exact dates needed) and will be alternating with Carly Boileau (March 21 through July, and back again in Sept).

Legend OTS - Jimmy Rhodes will be on Legend beginning Feb 6 until he moves to Grandeur on April 21

Liberty OTS - Leo Papa started Jan 5th. Rich Edwards should be returning from his break on April 8.

Majesty OTS - Dave Chapman started March 4

Mariner OTS - Steve Davis Feb.10 - May 6th, Gordon Whatman is coming to Mariner on April 21. (Will there be an overlap for a smoother transition between CDs, or will Steve be leaving earlier than originally noted?)

Monarch OTS - Marc Walker Nov. 16 until April 1 when Monarch leaves the fleet. *per Marc's FB page: Marc has tonsillitis, and if he is unable to work, then Erky from Turkey (the activities manager) is prepared to step up as CD to cover for Marc's sick days.

Navigator OTS - Simona Ferraiuolo Jan 19 until March 30 then Keith Williams March 30 through April 21

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert started December 1st until March 30, then Ricky Matthews March 30 through June 1. Amy plans to return from her break on June 1 through Sept 21, then Ricky Matthews September 21 through November 23

Radiance OTS - Bobby and Becky Brown returned on January 21. Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6.

Rhapsody OTS - Luke Aerowsmith March 11 through May 31. Graham Seymour for the Alaska season beginning May 31 (he is arriving on May 24 for a one week overlap)

Serenade OTS - Paul Rutter Feb 11 through April 8, then Ken Jones April 8 through July 30, then Ricky Matthews July 30 though September 16

Splendour OTS - João Pereira returned Dec 9 for the winter season in South America

Vision OTS - Mike Hunnerup started January 14 (until when?)

Voyager OTS - Graham Seymour January 8 until March 23rd. Then, Lixin Fang will be taking over the Asian season

Rob, who was the activities manager, is coming back to the Independence as CD. He had worked as activities manager on the Mariner and then the Independence.

Adventure OTS - Anthony Richards started January 6 (until sometime in April) Clo O'Connor will be covering the break (April through July, exact dates unknown at this time) *Drew Devine will be joining Adventure in July

Allure OTS - Allan Brooks started February 24 for approximately 2 months to cover, then Ken Rush expects to return from his break.

Brilliance OTS - Mercedes Fuentes started January 26, then Paul Lancaster beginning March 31

Enchantment OTS - John Blair started Jan 14 (until when?) *Marc Walker from June 7 - Nov. 25

Explorer OTS - Richard Spacey started February 1st until April 7 to cover Leigh Xuereb's break. Leigh will return as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7

Freedom OTS - Drew Devine January 6 though April 14, then Richard Spacey (Richard is arriving on April 7, so there will be a week's overlap)

Grandeur OTS - Rico du Breil started Oct 26 (until when?) *Jimmy Rhodes will be the regular CD for a few contracts when Grandeur moves to Baltimore (April 21?)

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton started November 22 until March 16 and returns May 26 through early September. Activities Manager Rob will be filling in for Joff from March 16 through May 26

Jewel OTS - Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) starts Jan 5 until March 21, and again from July to Sept (exact dates needed) and will be alternating with Carly Boileau (March 21 through July, and back again in Sept).

Legend OTS - Jimmy Rhodes will be on Legend beginning Feb 6 until he moves to Grandeur on April 21

Liberty OTS - Leo Papa started Jan 5th. Rich Edwards should be returning from his break on April 8.

Mariner OTS - Steve Davis Feb.10 - May 6th, Gordon Whatman is coming to Mariner on April 21. (Will there be an overlap for a smoother transition between CDs, or will Steve be leaving earlier than originally noted?)

Monarch OTS - Marc Walker Nov. 16 until April 1 when Monarch leaves the fleet. *per Marc's FB page: Marc has tonsillitis, and if he is unable to work, then Erky from Turkey (the activities manager) is prepared to step up as CD to cover for Marc's sick days.

Navigator OTS - Simona Ferraiuolo Jan 19 until March 30 then Keith Williams March 30 through April 21

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert started December 1st until March 30, then Ricky Matthews March 30 through June 1. Amy plans to return from her break on June 1 through Sept 21, then Ricky Matthews September 21 through November 23

Radiance OTS - Bobby and Becky Brown returned on January 21. Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6.

Rhapsody OTS - Luke Aerowsmith March 11 through May 31. Graham Seymour for the Alaska season beginning May 31 (he is arriving on May 24 for a one week overlap)

Serenade OTS - Paul Rutter Feb 11 through April 8, then Ken Jones April 8 through July 30, then Ricky Matthews July 30 though September 16

Splendour OTS - João Pereira returned Dec 9 for the winter season in South America

Voyager OTS - Graham Seymour January 8 until March 23rd. Then, Lixin Fang will be taking over the Asian season

According to the paper we got onboard Independence of the Seas, our sailing's (March 16, 2013) Cruise Director is Casey Pelter.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton started November 22 until March 16 and returns May 26 through early September. Casey Pelter will be filling in for Joff from March 16 through May 26

Archived