are the bathrooms really part of the room?

chris153

In the typical balcony stateroom, the shower and toilet are in separate frosted glass booths at one end of the cabin. This area can be further partitioned off with a curtain. Worked fine for us.

Here you can see a picture of how our shower booth looked from the balcony end of the cabin. The toilet booth is similar, and was to the right, behind where the curtain hangs. The sink is just out of sight to the left of the shower.

I have heard this, but would not like it. Is this in all the rooms on epic? If not which ones? Anyone have any pix?

You've heard rumors, don't know details, but are already convinced you don't like it? I think you'll have problems with the bathroom setup then. There are two stalls with frosted glass doors in the entry way, separated from the room with a curtain for privacy. It works awesome for multi-tasking families like ours.

You've heard rumors, don't know details, but are already convinced you don't like it? I think you'll have problems with the bathroom setup then. There are two stalls with frosted glass doors in the entry way, separated from the room with a curtain for privacy. It works awesome for multi-tasking families like ours.

where did he say he didn't like it? I thought he said he wouldn't like it if it actually is in the room, thus the question, to separate fact from fiction.

Bill

Here is one vote for the bathroom set up. LOVED it. The translucent doors in to the toilet cubicle and the shower cubicle allowed natural light from the room to filter in. I felt as though there was a window in each of these cubicles. At night, the light from the cabin would filter in. LOVED the set up.

where did he say he didn't like it? I thought he said he wouldn't like it if it actually is in the room, thus the question, to separate fact from fiction.

Bill

Boy! Bill, that's the finest hair splitting I've seen in a while. Are you just trying to be argumentative?

The design does not look like it is for me. The "Breakaway" has more traditional bathrooms. Maybe that says it all?

Well as much as I don't like the design, I think there could be numerous reasons for the change when they designed the breakaway.

Although I lean more toward it being too controversial as oppose to people not liking it. It appears to be one of those things you either love or hate with very little grey area of those that are just indifferent.

The design does not look like it is for me. The "Breakaway" has more traditional bathrooms. Maybe that says it all?

Nope. It doesn't say "it all". It simply says that they put traditional bathrooms on the Breakaway.

Just because something matches a preconceived narrative, doesn't mean that the underlying reasons are a match.

I think NCL wanted to make the bathrooms a "non issue" on the newest ships. On the Epic, while some of us love the bathrooms, you have a fair amount of people scared off by the design (real or perceived issues). It also is less conducive for room sharing with people other than family. I don't think they regret the design at all, but instead just want to take the bathroom out of the conversation.

Bill

Bill -

the OP didn't know any details about "bathrooms as part of the room". Hell, ALL bathrooms are part of the room, just not as open as on Epic. I was simply suggesting that the OP had a preconceived notion of what "in the room meant" and drawn a conclusion without really having enough info to put that stake in the ground. I wouldn't like a toilet sitting in the middle of my room either. :)

Bill -

I wouldn't like a toilet sitting in the middle of my room either. :)

And I thought I had issues with the Epic bathrooms, I'd certainly take issue with a toilet sitting in the middle of my room :eek: :D

Somehow I think that would be a more than a little controversial.

I think NCL wanted to make the bathrooms a "non issue" on the newest ships. On the Epic, while some of us love the bathrooms, you have a fair amount of people scared off by the design (real or perceived issues). It also is less conducive for room sharing with people other than family. I don't think they regret the design at all, but instead just want to take the bathroom out of the conversation.

You said well what I was trying to say above

Sorry, I guess I worded my original question wrong. Of course I know the bathroom is part of the room and that the toilet would not be in the middle of the room. I guess what I am wondering is if you can see throught the opaque glass, even if it is just an outline. The reason this might not work for my family is that we have teenagers and 20+ children and they stay in their own rooms, but come and hang out on our balcony. There are times, when my husband or I are in the shower then. Just do not know how comfortable we would feel with then seeing us au natural, even if it is just a shadow.

Sorry for the confusion with my initial post.

Sorry, I guess I worded my original question wrong. Of course I know the bathroom is part of the room and that the toilet would not be in the middle of the room. I guess what I am wondering is if you can see throught the opaque glass, even if it is just an outline. The reason this might not work for my family is that we have teenagers and 20+ children and they stay in their own rooms, but come and hang out on our balcony. There are times, when my husband or I are in the shower then. Just do not know how comfortable we would feel with then seeing us au natural, even if it is just a shadow.

Sorry for the confusion with my initial post.

if they are on your balcony while you're in the shower then you can draw the curtain which will screen the bathroom from the rest of the room

However anyone walking in the door would be able to see a blurred outline of you in the shower

Does that help?

Whether or not everyone is enamored of the unique bathroom arrangement on Epic, the fact that Breakaway and Getaway will return to the more traditional set up would seem to indicate that this as well as the wavy walls were not as favorably received as NCL executives originally hoped. More information on the two new ships is due to be released this month and may answer more questions about differences between them and EPIC.:)

The reason this might not work for my family is that we have teenagers and 20+ children and they stay in their own rooms, but come and hang out on our balcony.

I haven't been on the Epic (I was interested in the answer myself)- but I was skimming and read this wrong. I read your post and thought "wow, that's a lot of children"... :D

if they are on your balcony while you're in the shower then you can draw the curtain which will screen the bathroom from the rest of the room

However anyone walking in the door would be able to see a blurred outline of you in the shower

Does that help?

^^^what this poster said. You can see blurry figures with no detail. Less blurry if the person in the shower/loo gets up close to the glass. I really couldn't tell if it was my wife or one of my older boys in the shower based on the figure, if that helps you get an idea of what the "blurry figure" might look like

Some have suggested simply taping a plastic garbage bag on the outside to make it more opaque (like a white 30 gallon bag cut open.)

The Epic is an awesome ship. I'd hate for the bathroom layout to be the reason someone doesn't go on her.

any sounds or odors will become part of the room :) If you are traveling with teens/kids/friends, you can close the curtain but the sounds and odors are not held behind the curtain. LOL

The toilet and shower both have exhaust fans running full time inside to minimize odors/steam in the room. Why would you get more odor than a "regular" bathroom? We didn't, and I have 2 teen boys. :D . I'm just curious

The toilet and shower both have exhaust fans running full time inside to minimize odors/steam in the room. Why would you get more odor than a "regular" bathroom? We didn't, and I have 2 teen boys. :D . I'm just curious

perhaps I am super sensitive to odors?

^^^what this poster said. You can see blurry figures with no detail. Less blurry if the person in the shower/loo gets up close to the glass. I really couldn't tell if it was my wife or one of my older boys in the shower based on the figure, if that helps you get an idea of what the "blurry figure" might look like

Some have suggested simply taping a plastic garbage bag on the outside to make it more opaque (like a white 30 gallon bag cut open.)

The Epic is an awesome ship. I'd hate for the bathroom layout to be the reason someone doesn't go on her.

I know it is the reason that a lot of us don't go. I hear both sides though, the staterooms are either the best thing since sliced bread, or a large bathroom with a short bed in the middle of it. I see it would not be horrible if you were just a couple, but cruising with teenage daughters, for me, would be a huge issue.

Just glad that the new ships have steered away from this layout.

Archived