Would the ship wait for u?

mrandmrsdd

As I understand it, all arrivals/departures to the port in Boston are controlled by Logan Air Traffic Control, because the entry and exits to the harbour are in the take-off/landing flight path for the airport. Port arrivals/departures are given priority during certain times of day, and if you miss that time, you have to wait for the next port priority period. That was how Captain Mercer explained it on that first cruise.

I have usually been too busy watching the action on the dock to notice the air traffic when we come in to/leave Boston, so I really don't know if air traffic is suspended during the port priority period.

OK understand & thanks for the explanation..That probably should be the way they handle air & port traffic in a few other places too, but don't..

Trying to talk DH into a cruise this year on the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska, but my 2nd choice would be the Maasdam out of Boston in the fall..Would be content with that too..

Cheers..Betty

P.S. Watson's Aunt,,Maybe they are called Gas Tankers instead of Oil Tankers, but don't know for sure?

If there were many passengers or someone of importance.

The only time I've seen a departure delayed due to weather in Chicago, was when we were waiting for one of the entertainers. Who happened to be Gloria Gaynor.

I assume gas tankers may be compressed LPG. That's a mixture that could create a huge fireball if something happened. An oil tanker catching fire would probably leave enough time for an airplane to take evasive action, but LPG would go immediately.

My guess.

Roy

I assume gas tankers may be compressed LPG. That's a mixture that could create a huge fireball if something happened. An oil tanker catching fire would probably leave enough time for an airplane to take evasive action, but LPG would go immediately.

My guess.

Roy

Hi

Yes Roy thats what they are. because the city is so close to the terminals alot of things are shut down. If one blew up it would take the whole city and then some with it.

Mary

As I understand it, all arrivals/departures to the port in Boston are controlled by Logan Air Traffic Control, because the entry and exits to the harbour are in the take-off/landing flight path for the airport. Port arrivals/departures are given priority during certain times of day, and if you miss that time, you have to wait for the next port priority period. That was how Captain Mercer explained it on that first cruise.

I have usually been too busy watching the action on the dock to notice the air traffic when we come in to/leave Boston, so I really don't know if air traffic is suspended during the port priority period.

We came in early in the morning, and it was amazing to see the runway lights as close as they were!

While we were docked, you can see how low the planes were!

IMG_9421.jpg.c18361a5737e5818d5eb06c3c3e46d28.jpg

IMG_9433.jpg.cc16c075f9ba9aa730ea3a4bb25a3c80.jpg

Trying to talk DH into a cruise this year on the Amsterdam 14 day Alaska, but my 2nd choice would be the Maasdam out of Boston in the fall..Would be content with that too..

Cheers..Betty

If you want to do that Amsterdam cruise, do it this year because HAL isn't offering it next year and probably not in the future.

It's an awesome cruise. We did the very first one in May 2010 and it was a fantastic experience.

What I'm reading here about the blend of Boston port and airport is absolutely fascinating to me. I can hardly wait to tell my husband about it

(he has both a private pilot's license and an ocean operator's boat license).

Now, back to regular programming :D

We have been on two different cruises where we watched late passengers join the ship in unique ways. One couple

came out on the pilot boat when it picked up the navigating pilot. On a different cruise, since we'd just pulled away so were

only a few feet from the dock, the workers on the pier and some crew on the ship placed a wooden plank from the pier to

an inset area on a lower ship level, gave lifevests to the two ladies and the ladies literally 'walked the plank' to the ship.

Some passengers ignore the 'all aboard time' and seem to plan their return on the ship's departure time. Big mistake since

the gangway has to be removed before the ship's departure.

Also, the ship can't always wait for passengers on ship-sponsored tours. Sometimes the tide or harbormaster or port costs for

delay means that the ship must leave on schedule and not wait. In that case, though, the ship-sponsored tour passengers

will be helped to meet the ship. That won't necessarily be true for late passengers not on ship-sponsored tours.

Archived